LordOpie

Is Tom Brady the GOAT of all sports?

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Hell NO. The Greatest is, well, The Greatest. Ali was and is the Greatest of all time. in a sport that takes no prisoners and the object is to concuss.

 

Hell NO.  Iron Mike would knock him sideways.

 

It's only a matter of time before CGI and AI get to the point that HBO could actually simulate that fight.  Literally a 'SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!' event!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

 

Hell NO.  Iron Mike would knock him sideways.

 

It's only a matter of time before CGI and AI get to the point that HBO could actually simulate that fight.  Literally a 'SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!' event!

"Iron Mike" would have lasted about 1 minute against Dempsey or Louis. Not to mention Marciano.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, skylive5 said:

"Iron Mike" would have lasted about 1 minute against Dempsey or Louis. Not to mention Marciano.

 

 

I was visitor 1924 to your website.  WURD!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, there's a fun read here....

 

http://www.heavyweightblog.com/3510/height-and-weight-are-irrelevant-at-heavyweight-boxing-or-joe-louis-vs-primo-carnera-abe-simon-buddy-baer

 

Didn't know Dempsey was born in CO (Manassa)...Never heard of that town.  Also the article gives a thumbs up to Louis near the end.  Lots of stuff from Earnie Shavers, who I met in Vegas.  He's a real gentleman.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Didn't know Dempsey was born in CO (Manassa)...Never heard of that town.  Also the article gives a thumbs up to Louis near the end.  Lots of stuff from Earnie Shavers, who I met in Vegas.  He's a real gentleman.

 

You met the great Earnie Shavers? Good grief, what I wouldn't give to meet that man! I was a boxing fanatic when I was younger, and still follow it keenly, and Earnie is a genuine living legend! He always comes across as a very decent man too, which just makes you admire him all the more.

Must have been quite a thrill, meeting him!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GooseAmbassadorToJapan said:

 

You met the great Earnie Shavers? Good grief, what I wouldn't give to meet that man! I was a boxing fanatic when I was younger, and still follow it keenly, and Earnie is a genuine living legend! He always comes across as a very decent man too, which just makes you admire him all the more.

Must have been quite a thrill, meeting him!

 

It was.  My wife and I were walking though Planet Hollywood and he was just sitting there signing autographs.  No one was there, unbelievably.  We saw him, and started talking to him.  He gave us a couple of signed photos.  He is a totally down to earth gentleman, it was a privilege to shake his hand.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/03/many-hall-of-fame-players-call-tom-brady-the-best-ever/

 

Emmitt Smith: “The best quarterback ever to play the game is Tom Brady, in my opinion. Without a doubt.”

Deion Sanders: “It’s the Brady era. You can’t get no better than that.”

Michael Irvin: “All of us living should understand how blessed we are to be in this moment while he’s doing what he’s doing. I say yes to comparing him to [Michael] Jordan, and I think what he’s doing is more difficult.”

Jerry Rice: “I always felt Jim Brown was the best ever. But Tom Brady, you have to put him up there.”

Jim Kelly: “The best. No doubt.”

Troy Aikman: “It was always an easy answer, it was Joe Montana. Now . . . I’ve changed my tune. I think [Brady is] the greatest to play our sport.”

Shannon Sharpe: “Tom Brady is the greatest football player in the 97-year history of the NFL.”

 

add that to those saying the same last year or similar last year even before they won last years game

 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/04/many-great-players-are-calling-tom-brady-the-best-ever/

 

but i guess a bunch of guys who play fantasy football, and hate the patriots, know better

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 12:01 PM, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/03/many-hall-of-fame-players-call-tom-brady-the-best-ever/

 

Emmitt Smith: “The best quarterback ever to play the game is Tom Brady, in my opinion. Without a doubt.”

Deion Sanders: “It’s the Brady era. You can’t get no better than that.”

Michael Irvin: “All of us living should understand how blessed we are to be in this moment while he’s doing what he’s doing. I say yes to comparing him to [Michael] Jordan, and I think what he’s doing is more difficult.”

Jerry Rice: “I always felt Jim Brown was the best ever. But Tom Brady, you have to put him up there.”

Jim Kelly: “The best. No doubt.”

Troy Aikman: “It was always an easy answer, it was Joe Montana. Now . . . I’ve changed my tune. I think [Brady is] the greatest to play our sport.”

Shannon Sharpe: “Tom Brady is the greatest football player in the 97-year history of the NFL.”

 

add that to those saying the same last year or similar last year even before they won last years game

 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/04/many-great-players-are-calling-tom-brady-the-best-ever/

 

but i guess a bunch of guys who play fantasy football, and hate the patriots, know better

They all said he is the greatest football player. This thread is about the greatest in ALL sports and there should be serious debate when we are questioning if he's the GOAT for all sports.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 9:01 AM, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

 

but i guess a bunch of guys who play fantasy football, and hate the patriots, know better

 

You're damn right we do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Shaft said:

They all said he is the greatest football player. This thread is about the greatest in ALL sports and there should be serious debate when we are questioning if he's the GOAT for all sports.

you're right, of course.

 

but doesn't being the GOAT in a sport put you in the conversation of GOATOAS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

lol...look at the chicken littles coming out to gloat

If im a Pats fan today I am demanding answers on why Butler was benched and only finding out at National Anthem. Didn't fit packages ? You're telling me he wasn't in the first team def schemes at practice ? And you're telling me Eric Rowe finding out after the anthem that hes playing in Butlers place is a better option ?? BS , if im a pats fan, Butler better have murdered someone to not be in that game. Something is so strange about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In general, hockey > basketball > baseball > football as it relates to an individual player's opportunity to influence a team's success. The sheer fact that guys like Trent Dilfer have SB rings tells you that, no matter how good a QB can be, it's just not as impressive as superstar athletes in other sports.

 

Gretzky > Jordan > Brady (I'm not sure a baseball player has been discussed, and I don't have a strong feel for who would be considered GOAT)

 

Gretzky really was otherworldly, and his career stats dwarf everyone around him. And hockey has a lot more parity than the other major sports... Also, the influence on game outcomes usually comes more from goaltending than it does other positions, making Gretzky's stats all that much more impressive.

 

Jordan wins 3 straight rings, leaves for 1.5 years, comes back and wins 3 straight rings again. And in his second run, they win 70, then 69 games in back to back years (still the most wins in a 2 year span). Jordan even averaged 20+ in his last (age 39) season with Washington.

 

Brady wins 5 rings in 8 appearances, both records for a QB. Certainly impressive, and certainly makes him an easy guy to argue as the GOAT for football (if you buy the "QB is the most important position in football" argument). But his career stats don't dwarf other QBs. He's not even top ten in completion percentage of active QBs nor is he top 5 in passing yards per game of active QBs (if you include Peyton Manning). He is second to Aaron Rodgers in lowest INT % for career. His postseason stats are amazing though, which is where the GOAT declarations have always originated for Brady anyway.

 

Gretzky has to be the GOAT of all team sports. I won't even try to compare individual sport athletes...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

lol...look at the chicken littles coming out to gloat

 

Haha, I was just kidding around but I can tell that it hurts you to sit down today! :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

If im a Pats fan today I am demanding answers on why Butler was benched and only finding out at National Anthem. Didn't fit packages ? You're telling me he wasn't in the first team def schemes at practice ? And you're telling me Eric Rowe finding out after the anthem that hes playing in Butlers place is a better option ?? BS , if im a pats fan, Butler better have murdered someone to not be in that game. Something is so strange about it. 

From @robot_davey on twitter... Clarification/Update: Malcom Butler missed initial flight from Boston to Minneapolis. Arrived to team hotel intoxicated after curfew twice. During room evaluation (Thurs) he was caught smoking Josh Gordon. Missed Saturday morning team meeting.

 

we will never get any clear, real, answer

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

From @robot_davey on twitter... Clarification/Update: Malcom Butler missed initial flight from Boston to Minneapolis. Arrived to team hotel intoxicated after curfew twice. During room evaluation (Thurs) he was caught smoking Josh Gordon. Missed Saturday morning team meeting.

 

we will never get any clear, real, answer

 

i heard that also. I'd like to know what this "he was caught smoking Josh Gordon" means? Was Gordon there? were they smoking Josh Gordon together or was Butler "smoking" Gordon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

From @robot_davey on twitter... Clarification/Update: Malcom Butler missed initial flight from Boston to Minneapolis. Arrived to team hotel intoxicated after curfew twice. During room evaluation (Thurs) he was caught smoking Josh Gordon. Missed Saturday morning team meeting.

 

we will never get any clear, real, answer

 

It'll come out, all teams looking to bring him in will want to know why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

 

i heard that also. I'd like to know what this "he was caught smoking Josh Gordon" means? Was Gordon there? were they smoking Josh Gordon together or was Butler "smoking" Gordon?

lol, we can't say "weed"? Josh Gordon, 420, hash?

 

edit: ok, I see it's mari-juana that gets changed

Edited by LordOpie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

lol, we can't say "weed"? Josh Gordon, 420, hash?

 

edit: ok, I see it's mari-juana that gets changed

Hilarious, like some of the tame words that get filtered while some much nastier ones are allowed.

 

Sounds like Butler screwed himself out of playing in the SB, and may have cost his team a win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Thomas Brady has never shook hands with the winning QB after losing Superbowl, snubbed foles and Eli twice. Poor poor Thomas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Apparently Thomas Brady has never shook hands with the winning QB after losing Superbowl, snubbed foles and Eli twice. Poor poor Thomas

he's just frustrated that, in superbowls, he's 0-3 against the NFC East. Poor Cowboys fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

 

Yep was telling somebody about the rumor I saw here about him caught with Josh Gordon, searched and that was one of the top stories. Sounds like he made a few big mistakes, and Bill punished him. Of course they both deny that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

Yep was telling somebody about the rumor I saw here about him caught with Josh Gordon, searched and that was one of the top stories. Sounds like he made a few big mistakes, and Bill punished him. Of course they both deny that.

 

It also doesn’t help that according rover to report her reportedly “had a meltdown” with on the coaching staff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.