LordOpie

Is Tom Brady the GOAT of all sports?

seriously.

He's going to be in, what, his 9th superbowl? He consistently plays with non-super stars. IMO, there are only two real possibilities...

1. he's simply truly amazing

2. he sold his soul to the devil

EDIT: i'm just talking the sport, not social stuff like Jesse Owens or Hank Aaron type stuff.

Edited by LordOpie

32 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

seriously.

He's going to be in, what, his 9th superbowl? He consistently plays with non-super stars. IMO, there are only two real possibilities...

1. he's simply truly amazing

2. he sold his soul to the devil

EDIT: i'm just talking the sport, not social stuff like Jesse Owens or Hank Aaron type stuff.

Hard to say.  According to the stat sheets, there's no question.  Belichick is always gonna enter this conversation though.

Bledsoe had a lot of success.. then Brady came in, Cassel replaced an injured Brady and went 11-5, Jimmy G and Brissett also had success filling in.. 

Is Tom Brady the GOAT of all sports?

:rofl:

No.

• Like 5

I don’t know that it’s worth rolling on the floor laughing at the suggestion...but obviously ‘yes’ would be a pretty tough thing to prove

Bill Russell and Michael Jordan might have something to say

So might Wayne Gretsky, Patrick Roy and Bobby Orr

Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Cy Young, Greg Maddux

Jerry Rice, Emmett Smith, Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lott, Jim Brown, without even breaking my brain on linemen.

Adding Ali, Marciano, Louis, etc.

Edited by Caveman_Nick
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I don’t know that it’s worth rolling on the floor laughing at the suggestion...but obviously ‘yes’ would be a pretty tough thing to prove

Bill Russell and Michael Jordan might have something to say

So might Wayne Gretsky, Patrick Roy and Bobby Orr

Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Cy Young, Greg Maddux

Jerry Rice, Emmett Smith, Lawrence Taylor, Ronnie Lott, Jim Brown, without even breaking my brain on linemen.

Adding Ali, Marciano, Louis, etc.

Conversation starts there IMO.  Gotta beat the best in your own sport, is he truly better then Jerry? 

Michael Jordan no question. 2 3-peats with a baseball break in between. 

And of course if Bo Jackson would have played longer, there is no question he would be mentioned. 

Brady is top 5 for sure but he falls short for greatest of all sports.

And it's his 8th SB I believe. 

7 hours ago, Def. said:

Conversation starts there IMO.  Gotta beat the best in your own sport, is he truly better then Jerry? 

After seeing the thread title this was my immediate thought as to why I wouldnt say he's the NFL GOAT. 

8 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

Michael Jordan no question. 2 3-peats with a baseball break in between. 

And of course if Bo Jackson would have played longer, there is no question he would be mentioned. 

Brady is top 5 for sure but he falls short for greatest of all sports.

And it's his 8th SB I believe. 

Funny, Basketball is a sport where there is regular debate on the topic.  Right now there are usually only the two, with Earvin Johnson occasionally creeping in.  Bird has dropped from that group with perspective if time, and I think rightfully so.  His back ruined his career. Lebron will be mentioned.  Kobe never will, because he’ll never be considered as good as Jordan at the 2.

Hockey is more of a clear example to me, with Gretzky being the run away winner.  People want to put Orr with him, but it does not stand up to the test of time.  I mention him and Roy only to sate those who don’t want to compare offense to defense to goaltending.

The NFL is really hard because there are so many roles.  I think we should stick to talking about who is the best at what they are doing.  There’s no metric to compare a quarterback to an NHL goalie.

Ron Jeremy.  He has to be in the conversation.  Just look at the guy...literally nothing he can't do.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Ron Jeremy.  He has to be in the conversation.  Just look at the guy...literally nothing he can't do.

I've met him. He's a disgusting, greasy haired, chubby little gnome. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Funny, Basketball is a sport where there is regular debate on the topic.  Right now there are usually only the two, with Earvin Johnson occasionally creeping in.  Bird has dropped from that group with perspective if time, and I think rightfully so.  His back ruined his career. Lebron will be mentioned.  Kobe never will, because he’ll never be considered as good as Jordan at the 2.

Hockey is more of a clear example to me, with Gretzky being the run away winner.  People want to put Orr with him, but it does not stand up to the test of time.  I mention him and Roy only to sate those who don’t want to compare offense to defense to goaltending.

The NFL is really hard because there are so many roles.  I think we should stick to talking about who is the best at what they are doing.  There’s no metric to compare a quarterback to an NHL goalie.

theres also really no way to quantify or compare the qbs worth as opposed to the #1 option on a basketball team in which the offense runs through.... or to validate it....but one interesting thing is if you look back at the nba finals, from say, the last 25 years you will see a bunch of repeat champions or teams going to finals in back to back years...or 2 out of  3 years....much more difficult to repeat or even go to back to back superbowls than it appears to in the nba

2 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Gretzky is the clear run away in hockey and I'd probably put Brodeur over Roy for best goalie.

Meh.  Brodeur was amazing in front of a trap.  Roy had chutzpah!  I’d take him in the cup finals over anyone.

37 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

So he's the Greatest overachiever of all time?

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

So he's the Greatest overachiever of all time?

He's just a disgusting greasy haired man. He made my skin crawl. Call him whatever you like lol

I'd have to say no simply because he's done it all with a GOAT type coach in charge of the team. As I read other posts I concur with the part about Rice, just because he didn't win 6SB or play QB doesn't mean he cannot be GOAT.

Look at how the Pats did when Brady was out, in 2008 with Matt Cassel they went 11-5, Cassel then flopped as a starter (one good year 10-5). In 2016 Brisset and Garoppalo went a combined 3-1, Garoppolo is looking like a legit starter, Brisset a decent backup.

So the Pats can and have succeeded without an elite QB, no not in the playoffs, but then they really haven't had an opportunity since BB arrived. might have been interesting to see what they did in 2008 with Cassell if they got in. I doubt they'd be as successful.

2 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

did you work on one of his movies?

here's my simple explanation of why i started this discussion:

1. "they" say that QB is the most important position of all sports

2. he's the best QB ever, by a wide margin

if you disagree with either of those, that's fine. is #1 not true?

3 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

here's my simple explanation of why i started this discussion:

1. "they" say that QB is the most important position of all sports

2. he's the best QB ever, by a wide margin

if you disagree with either of those, that's fine. is #1 not true?

Yes I'd say #1 is false, or at least debatable. Also not sure I'd agree with #2 so easily, because I see a lot of the accomplishments being related to the surrouncing cast (players and coaches). Who was the best before him? What things are you using to put him ahead by a wide margin.

One player on a hockey or basketball team has  much bigger impact than QB does. Look how LeBron makes any team he's on a contender, can a great QB do the same thing?  I don't follow hockey, but have heard people talk about how important a good goalie is in the playoffs, how they can nearly single handidly win you a title. I don't think that applies to QB in football (esp NFL).

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

I'd have to say no simply because he's done it all with a GOAT type coach in charge of the team. As I read other posts I concur with the part about Rice, just because he didn't win 6SB or play QB doesn't mean he cannot be GOAT.

Look at how the Pats did when Brady was out, in 2008 with Matt Cassel they went 11-5, Cassel then flopped as a starter (one good year 10-5). In 2016 Brisset and Garoppalo went a combined 3-1, Garoppolo is looking like a legit starter, Brisset a decent backup.

So the Pats can and have succeeded without an elite QB, no not in the playoffs, but then they really haven't had an opportunity since BB arrived. might have been interesting to see what they did in 2008 with Cassell if they got in. I doubt they'd be as successful.

Isn’t the argument against Brady the same as you would make against Rice?

played with Montana and Young with much better talent around him

played for Walsh, Siefert, Marriucci, and Gruden.

Mind you, I am not arguing for Tom or against Rice, i think both are the best at what they did, and my opinion is that the OP presents an unanswerable question. The logic you are using is flawed as a case for Rice,though.  IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

Maybe the fluffer:unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

Did you shake hands?

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

29 minutes ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Maybe the fluffer:unsure: 

22 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Did you shake hands?

No

LMAO Not Gay

Hell no

I met him in a lobby of a condominium building in Bevery Hills while loading gear for a shoot. He stopped me and asked me if we needed any actors and tried to shake my hand. Meanwhile I'm standing there with arms full of gear looking at him thinking "Yeah my hands are full you creepy f#ck I'm not gonna drop this gear to shake your greasy, STD rilled paws".... grossest encounter I've ever had in the business. 

JORDAN!!!!!

• Haha 2

The problem I have with the best in any sport is that when Brady was out the Patriots still won.

• Like 1

For me, there's Jim Thorpe and then the rest.

• Like 1