[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alex Smith

skylive5

Well my hope for Josh Doctson having a breakout yearn in 2018 just went down the toilet.

Jameison Crowder looks to benefit the most from Alex Smith at QB.  And Jordan Reed - if he can stay healthy.  

On 1/31/2018 at 8:10 AM, Dolphin_Akie said:

Cousins is better than Smith for me but yeah the salary cap saving is useful. Just don't think you're ever going to win anything with Smith unless you have an incredible surrounding cast (which WAS doesn't). 

Giving up a 3rd rounder is nothing considering the Skins will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Cousins leaving in free agency so the cost there is like 20 spots in the draft. 

The worst part is throwing Kendall Fuller into the deal, he was excellent for them and a real useful piece in the slot. 

If by "win anything", you mean contend for the NFC, then you might be right. I don't think Washington's issues would be on the QB alone. Plus, aren't the Redskins in way better shape over the course of the next couple of years with Alex Smith than limping through with Colt McCoy and/or some rookie at QB? They have a zero percent change of winning anything with Colt McCoy, and drafting a QB prospect early this year comes with an opportunity cost (can't upgrade elsewhere with that pick).

I agree that the trade looks worse for WAS with Kendall Fuller part of it. But that's just a testament to what it takes to get competitive QB play in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

i'm pretty sure success or fail is up to those receivers. Smith will get them plenty of targets. Doctson will get more than his fair share of well placed passes. It's on him.

I think the real FF opportunity here is at TE... what good TEs are free agents this year? That's one key position that WAS should focus on. Cameron Brate with Alex Smith will easily be a Top 10 TE.

time for Jordan Reed to finally stay healthy for a year

and Vernon Davis still has some left in the tank

we wont and shouldnt pursue any FA TE's in my opinion

I'm reading that the Browns lost out on Alex Smith because they were not willing to offer the blockbuster extention the Redskins did. They were offering one of their three 2nd round picks.The Browns were probably offering comparable annual salary, but only 2 years. (They've still got Kizer, and will probably take another QB early in draft, and expect one of them to develop into their long term starter.) The Browns have something like $111M in available cap space, they can afford to pay, but should not bust the bank for a bridge QB (or pay to get Cousins and pass on drafting a QB, develop Kizer into an good backup.)

BTW  This deal with Smith going to the Redsklins, cannot be fully completed until the new NFL year begins, on March 14. He better not trip and hurt himself in the meantime.

52 minutes ago, TRU SOLDJA 22 said:

time for Jordan Reed to finally stay healthy for a year

and Vernon Davis still has some left in the tank

we wont and shouldnt pursue any FA TE's in my opinion

This is kind of a head in the sand approach...Reed has never lasted a full season and is one good knock to his head away from retirement.  Old man time is starting to catch up with Davis as he can simply not sustain a full season.  I mean maybe you hope Sprinkle develops but his athletic profile is that of a plodder.  Would make sense to move on from one of either Reed(trade)/Davis(release) and consider free agent/draft possibilities. 

51 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

i just don't understand how you think a 34 yo TE (Davis) and Reed who has played 9, 11, 14, 12, and 6 games in the last five years constitutes a quality TE group? Can you explain?

we've made our bed with Reed..  we're stuck with him and all we can do is hope he stays healthy..   not thrilled but we're stuck

vernon was still running passed LBs and DBs last year..  plus i hope re-uniting with smith can only help

i mean these are big what IFs and alot of HOPE ..   but never said i thought they were a quality group

but in my opinion we should chase other positions in free agency

does anyone know how this trade was possible? i don't know all the league rules like the back of my hand, but i know there's a trade deadline in the middle of the season, and I assume it applies until the season is over.... and the season isn't over.... sooooo? what gives lol

58 minutes ago, pun said:

does anyone know how this trade was possible? i don't know all the league rules like the back of my hand, but i know there's a trade deadline in the middle of the season, and I assume it applies until the season is over.... and the season isn't over.... sooooo? what gives lol

It hasn't been processed yet.  It's a deal but on hold till the season resumes..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

oh, please let that happen!

and please let no one trade for Cousins. When is the deadline for a team to release a tagged player such that there is no financial cost? Middle of July?

EDIT: article answered and apparently, if no deal is done by mid-july, then both cousins and WAS would be screwed.

Forgot where i read this, but cousins could also sign the tag immediatly , tie up almost 35 million of Washingtons cap space during free agency, refuse to do a long term deal with anyone and screw over washington (as the 35 million would be fully guarenteed)...

On 2/3/2018 at 11:04 AM, millworkguy said:

It hasn't been processed yet.  It's a deal but on hold till the season resumes..

didn't the redskins already sign alex smith to a big extension though? very weird situation.

22 minutes ago, pun said:

didn't the redskins already sign alex smith to a big extension though? very weird situation.

That's also part of the handshake deal, as they wouldn't give up a 3rd for a player they couldn't sign to a deal, kcc had the deal in place with Wash subject to them agreeing with him to an extention.  Only once both parts where done, did we hear he would be on the move.. he is still in Oct and as of now has yet to sign the extention

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 5:58 PM, millworkguy said:

That's also part of the handshake deal, as they wouldn't give up a 3rd for a player they couldn't sign to a deal, kcc had the deal in place with Wash subject to them agreeing with him to an extention.  Only once both parts where done, did we hear he would be on the move.. he is still in Oct and as of now has yet to sign the extention

good info, thanks!