skylive5

Alex Smith

Recommended Posts

According to breaking news at ESPN KC is trading Alex Smith to the Redskins. It can't

be done until the new NFL year begins but that is what they are saying.

 

So does that mean Cousins will be going to Denver after all?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cousins could go to the...

 

Broncos

Jaguars

Browns

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

Cardinals

Vikings

 

IMHO the Broncos, Jags and Cardinals are the most likely to land him.

 

 

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A.J. McCarron...Jimmy Garoppolo...Alex Smith...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local rumors are that the Cardinals are going to be heavy bidders for his services

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Footballjoe said:

I didn’t see that coming!

 

 

How is the trade news going down with Wash fans? Just wondering.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

 

How is the trade news going down with Wash fans? Just wondering.

 

 

 

 

Have not spoken to any others. I am not crazy about it. Nothing wrong with Alex but he is short term, maybe we still draft a quarterback. So remember who the Eagles coach was when the Redskins got McNabb? Yep!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When was the last time a young, legitimate quarterback was on the free agent market?  I can't remember any.  Bidding for Kirk Cousins could get crazy high.  And whatever he gets will affect what elite quarterbacks get paid henceforth.

 

Edited by michaelredd9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

Local rumors are that the Cardinals are going to be heavy bidders for his services

would def make sense....surprised they didn't make a hard a push for jimmy g actually...then again who knows if he was offered to anyone but san fran......still have to believe they made a couple of calls tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

When was the last time a young, legitimate quarterback was on the free agent market?  I can't remember any.  Bidding for Kirk Cousins could get crazy high.  And whatever he gets will affect what elite quarterbacks get paid henceforth.

 

like they say...."todays overpay is tomorrows bargain"

 

@dolphin akie.....yeah I was caught off guard waking up to the news this morning.....but I think its time for cousins/skins to part ways....think things have run its course there....cousins isn't "special" imo and I think smith is a decent stop gap to try to build around while laying a foundation for a qb of the future in a couple of years or 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

like they say...."todays overpay is tomorrows bargain"

 

@dolphin akie.....yeah I was caught off guard waking up to the news this morning.....but I think its time for cousins/skins to part ways....think things have run its course there....cousins isn't "special" imo and I think smith is a decent stop gap to try to build around while laying a foundation for a qb of the future in a couple of years or 3

 

Cousins is better than Smith for me but yeah the salary cap saving is useful. Just don't think you're ever going to win anything with Smith unless you have an incredible surrounding cast (which WAS doesn't). 

 

Giving up a 3rd rounder is nothing considering the Skins will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Cousins leaving in free agency so the cost there is like 20 spots in the draft. 

 

The worst part is throwing Kendall Fuller into the deal, he was excellent for them and a real useful piece in the slot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

 

Cousins is better than Smith for me but yeah the salary cap saving is useful. Just don't think you're ever going to win anything with Smith unless you have an incredible surrounding cast (which WAS doesn't). 

 

Giving up a 3rd rounder is nothing considering the Skins will get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Cousins leaving in free agency so the cost there is like 20 spots in the draft. 

 

The worst part is throwing Kendall Fuller into the deal, he was excellent for them and a real useful piece in the slot. 

I agree with you about smith...thing is, to me, cousins is similar....don't think you are going to win anything without a really good cast around him....just think the cousins/skins relationship has run its course.......scott mccloughan said something similar about cousins recently ....that he didn't think he was special.....I think cousins has had enough time to prove if hes worth building around and keeping around......not that I think smith is some upgrade....but hes a stop gap....I could see the skins targeting luke falk in the 2nd.....and who knows his stock could rise between now and then

 

agree about losing fuller....that stinks

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another example of folks black balling the Browns...Haslam has turned this franchise into a persona non grata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Absolutely baffling move by the Redskins. 

 

Do they make any other kind?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Absolutely baffling move by the Redskins. 

 

Well, they get stability at QB without breaking the bank (Cousins wouldn't have signed an extension anywhere near as cheaply as the Redskins extended Smith). So, to some extent, they get competent, if not above average, QB play for the 2-4 of years. They can spend their money fixing problems elsewhere while looking out for a QB of the future via draft. I don't think this was baffling at all. I think it was a 3rd round pick they gave up which might be a little high but reasonable. I think once people see what Cousins demands they'll realize that Washington's hands were tied. They did well to not get stuck in a situation like Denver last year or Houston prior to last year with a fringe talent at the helm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Absolutely baffling move by the Redskins. 

 

I agree, I see this as a bad move.  You just traded for an aging game manager with an expiring contract and gave quite the return to KC.  Ugh...wonder if Jay will be joining his brother Chucky in Vegas soon.  I'm sure by then Chucky will realize his offensive style is antiquated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Cousins could go to the...

 

Broncos

Jaguars

Browns

Bills

Jets

Dolphins

Cardinals

Vikings

 

IMHO the Broncos, Jags and Cardinals are the most likely to land him.

 

 

 

A co worker told me he heard that Bortles had some surgery since his last game (hand?) and the team said they were sticking with him next year.

 

Hearing the Jets are making a strong push for Cousins, and may nearly have a deal done. DEN and AZ are also great spots, doubt MIN even tries, they have 3 QBs to choose 2 from going forward (I think Bradford is odd man out, Keenum likely to start).

 

I think its a bad move, the contract length, giving up Fuller, seems odd for a bridge QB on a team with no other long term QB options. I guess they'll turn to the draft.

 

Regarding the Browns, I don't think they are being black balled, I don't care for out meddling owner, but I don't think this is a result of anything he did or even the more recent 1-31. This team has been bad for a long time, a 4-12 team most years, why would Smith want to come here, if he has other options with comparable value. I also heard the Browns were not going to give him 4 year extension which he wanted, only 2. Apparently Dorsey didn't have the inside track some of us thought he would, or Browns didn't expect another team to offer similar trade.

Edited by stevegrab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

Local rumors are that the Cardinals are going to be heavy bidders for his services

 

 

I'd love this as a DJ owner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Absolutely baffling move by the Redskins. 

 

It was baffling a couple years ago.  Even if they wanted to tender him to a long term deal (which they don't at a $30 mil. tag), he doesn't want to have anything to do with the franchise at this point.  At this point I think it's a fine move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kdko said:

 

It was baffling a couple years ago.  Even if they wanted to tender him to a long term deal (which they don't at a $30 mil. tag), he doesn't want to have anything to do with the franchise at this point.  At this point I think it's a fine move.

 

3 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

 

 

Well, they get stability at QB without breaking the bank (Cousins wouldn't have signed an extension anywhere near as cheaply as the Redskins extended Smith). So, to some extent, they get competent, if not above average, QB play for the 2-4 of years. They can spend their money fixing problems elsewhere while looking out for a QB of the future via draft. I don't think this was baffling at all. I think it was a 3rd round pick they gave up which might be a little high but reasonable. I think once people see what Cousins demands they'll realize that Washington's hands were tied. They did well to not get stuck in a situation like Denver last year or Houston prior to last year with a fringe talent at the helm.

 

If Cousins wants to be gone thats fine but not sure Alex Smith is ever going to take them where they want to be.

 

The bigger issue is giving a great slot corner like Fuller as you say they can spend money fixing problems elsewhere but they just created another big one with this move.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skins Fan:

 

I dont hate the move..   i think its the system that Gruden runs and that Kirk isnt as good as his stats..  he gets alot of them stats late in games when defense are in prevent... i like the dude hes a good guy but its time to part ways

 

Ive always thought smith was underrated as a qb and an athlete and more than a game manager..  he can run and i see him taking care of himself a la brady

 

I HATE losing Fuller though..  im a hokie fan and i always liked him and for us to get him in the 3rd few years ago was a steal..   but thats just my heart speaking

 

i assume they think this fabian moreau can replace fuller and/or they get a DB at 13 in draft (FSU or Iowa guy)

 

 

Sure hope its works out for us... but my optimism and our history have me worried

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

like they say...."todays overpay is tomorrows bargain"

 

@dolphin akie.....yeah I was caught off guard waking up to the news this morning.....but I think its time for cousins/skins to part ways....think things have run its course there....cousins isn't "special" imo and I think smith is a decent stop gap to try to build around while laying a foundation for a qb of the future in a couple of years or 3

Greedy is a word that my source used when describing Cousins.

 

3 hours ago, TRU SOLDJA 22 said:

Skins Fan:

 

I dont hate the move..   i think its the system that Gruden runs and that Kirk isnt as good as his stats..  he gets alot of them stats late in games when defense are in prevent... i like the dude hes a good guy but its time to part ways

 

Ive always thought smith was underrated as a qb and an athlete and more than a game manager..  he can run and i see him taking care of himself a la brady

 

I HATE losing Fuller though..  im a hokie fan and i always liked him and for us to get him in the 3rd few years ago was a steal..   but thats just my heart speaking

 

i assume they think this fabian moreau can replace fuller and/or they get a DB at 13 in draft (FSU or Iowa guy)

 

 

Sure hope its works out for us... but my optimism and our history have me worried

FWIW, the Skins feel that Kirk is a system QB. As for Fuller, when I broke that he was the player to be named later Skins fans were seriously hating on me on twitter. Some were even saying I was a fake account. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.