LordOpie

[dynasty] Garoppolo, Jimmy SFO QB

thoughts on him over the next five years? He finished the season strong, I think top five in FF points several weeks?

• Like 1

Kinda hard to say but certainly, he was very encouraging. I would hesitate to consider him better than top ten. There's just no way he is going to replicate the sort of games he started out with too often. It certainly depends too on what receivers he has starting next year which cannot yet be known.   He threw for 293-0 in Chicago in his first game that no one knew what to expect. He threw for 334-1 in Houston like most everyone else. 381-1 at home versus TEN was impressive for his first home game. He had 242-2 versus JAC. And then 292-2 when the Rams rested their starters in Week 1.

I'll gladly admit he is intriguing and promising. He averaged 300 yards per game with really crappy receivers. I doubt he'll throw for  4800 yards next year. At this point, I'd consider him just outside of the top ten but whatever other moves the 49ers make will have an obvious impact on his outlook. I'm not going overboard on him becoming the next Tom Brady quite yet. But he's worth tracking to be sure.  Five years out is impossible to forecast for even a top QB, let alone one who had just five starts last year at the end of a bad season.

how come I can't "Like" your posts?

I think with his coaches, he can be a consistent top 10. Shanahan really put it to JAC. I guess we'll find out what SF thinks of JG when the contract gets done. Seems to me that JG should force SF to pay up. If he's not getting at least $20mil, he should force SF to tag him or see what CLE offers because they're desperate, have the money, and can then use those top two picks on some other position.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LordOpie said:

how come I can't "Like" your posts?

I think with his coaches, he can be a consistent top 10. Shanahan really put it to JAC. I guess we'll find out what SF thinks of JG when the contract gets done. Seems to me that JG should force SF to pay up. If he's not getting at least $20mil, he should force SF to tag him or see what CLE offers because they're desperate, have the money, and can then use those top two picks on some other position.

No brown nosing allowed, DMD did make some great points, so I liked your post instead ;)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

No brown nosing allowed, DMD did make some great points, so I liked your post instead ;)

Like by association?

I once dated two women who were best friends because of that.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I once dated two women who were best friends because of that.

Because they liked to Brown nose?

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

Because they liked to Brown nose?

if you've never had a woman's nose in your crack before, you don't know what you're missing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

if you've never had a woman's nose in your crack before, you don't know what you're missing.

LOL, just making sure thats what you meant... i'm not sure i want to imagine that 3some (both of them, trying like gophers to get in there at the same time...) Damn, now i'm starting to imagine it...

gotta

get 

away...

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Just signed a five-year $137 million deal. Garoppolo is now the highest paid player in NFL history.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9360/jimmy-garoppolo

:shocking:

Ballsy with so few starts.  Quite probably a true make or break deal for the next decade.  Waiting to see the guaranteed years on the deal. 

Edited by Def.

Yeah... Cousins certainly has to command more than that, right?  Are teams going to have as much confidence in him as the 49ers are with Jimmah?

Already talk out there about Cousins being a system QB and such, so no team will probably have this type of confidence with him.  Regardless given the track record there is almost no way he doesn't exceed that yearly average.  Guaranteed bonus/years, maybe a different story since still waiting to hear on Jimmy's. 

31 minutes ago, Def. said:

:shocking:

Ballsy with so few starts.  Quite probably a true make or break deal for the next decade.  Waiting to see the guaranteed years on the deal.

I read somewhere $74M guranteed. Has to be couple years worth.

People were saying Stafford and other QBs were getting overpaid in the past, few of them had just a handful of starts for their team.

:shocking: If true that's a hell of a guaranteed amount. 

money speaks, so FF-wise, JG is a solid dynasty play.

as for possibly being over-paid, do y'all remember when they handed out contracts like candy to rookies before the rookie cap? And those guys all had ZERO career starts. So I'm not sure I get the hesitation on paying a guy who has a proven, admittedly limited, success.

also, from what I've seen in recent years, the longer a team waits, the MORE money it costs them. If they tagged him and waited to sign in June, i guarantee it would've been more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

as for possibly being over-paid, do y'all remember when they handed out contracts like candy to rookies before the rookie cap? And those guys all had ZERO career starts. So I'm not sure I get the hesitation on paying a guy who has a proven, admittedly limited, success.

also, from what I've seen in recent years, the longer a team waits, the MORE money it costs them. If they tagged him and waited to sign in June, i guarantee it would've been more.

I wasn't comparing him to rookies with zero NFL experience I was comparing him to proven NFL starters that already showed they could lead that team to success for a complete season. Like Stafford, or Ryan, guys who got paid with far from limited success and were considered by some to be overpaid (since Rodgers, Brady, Brees make less).

I'm not saying it was a bad decision, or that the 49ers are idiots for doing it.  It may be a wise decision and great value. But its still huge, and a bit out of line with what others with far bigger track records have gotten.

56 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I wasn't comparing him to rookies with zero NFL experience I was comparing him to proven NFL starters that already showed they could lead that team to success for a complete season. Like Stafford, or Ryan, guys who got paid with far from limited success and were considered by some to be overpaid (since Rodgers, Brady, Brees make less).

I'm not saying it was a bad decision, or that the 49ers are idiots for doing it.  It may be a wise decision and great value. But its still huge, and a bit out of line with what others with far bigger track records have gotten.

well, when you're a mess like SF, you do what you gotta do.

would you want CLE paying JG that much?

35 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

well, when you're a mess like SF, you do what you gotta do.

would you want CLE paying JG that much?

Not particularly.

27 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not particularly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't run the team, so what I want to happen really doesn't matter.

Nice fishing trip though.

22 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Tell that to Osweiller owners ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

i still think HOU ruined him. He was on a good path. It's clear that SF and JG have good chemistry.

3 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I think the writing was on the wall with that one and most people believed Houston got had on that deal.

Just gonna leave this here to soak in

Screenshot_20180211-105830.png