[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A.J. McCarron wins grievance vs. Bengals, declared an unrestricted free agent

Wolverines Fan

So do the Browns sign AJ, trade the #1 overall for more picks and take Barkley at 4?

Edited by Wpob

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

no way barkley gets by IND at #3.

Browns sign AJ and Nate Solder. Draft Barkley at #1 and Guard Quenton Nelson at #4. They make the playoffs.

also, local sports talk is all about signing AJ here in Denver

Am I the only one that would LOVE to see the Browns in the playoffs !

• Like 2

I don't mind getting McCarron. Solder is getting up there in age, we definitely need to draft Offensive Linemen though I don't see any mocks addressing it. Would love Barkley and Minkah, as I've said before but don't mind a Guard there at 4.

• Thanks 1

big money free agent QBs are not going to happen here. They plan on addressing our QOTF in this draft and don't want to shell out money to both a rookie and a vet. not that any vet would want to come here but that's another story

• Like 1

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 8:37 AM, loaf said:

Yeah, but AJ won't cost Cousins money, that's my point

Exactly and taking lordopies list most of those are not likely to be Browns

Bradford - the least of the MIN QBs, he could work as a bridge more likely to be a quality backup

Keenum - probably will remain in MIN or go to a similarl quality/contending team

Bridgewater - backup QB probably in MIN

Cousins - contending team, Browns won't get him and should not pursue him

AJ - the leading candidate

Cutler - have heard nothing about him, would have expected he stays in MIA

McCown - an option, but they let him go after 2016, maybe that was a Sashi move

Brees - no way, doubt he'd leave the Saints, certainly not for the Browns

I also heard talk of Tyrod Taylor changing teams too, forget if he's FA or possible trade.

As for being a playoff team, I don't see it. After winning 1 game in 2 years (4 in 3yr) and winning 4-5 games on average most years since their return, getting back to 4-5 wins is the first realistic step, then getting to a .500 team, and finally playoffs. 2-3 years is a reasonable time to finish this rebuild. Playoffs this year would be like winning the SB.

Aside from QB, RB and OL they also need help on D, especially DB but LB and DL too. Oh and another quality WR would be nice, Coleman and Gordon are nice, but not elite and with some ?s  Doesn't sound like a team turning around from 0-16 to 9-11 wins.

15 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Is Kizer considered hopeless?  Look at what they guy had to work with last year.  Who could have succeeded with that mess around them?

Hopeless no, but not somebody I would count on to be the future either. They need that bridge QB, and another draftee, be that in the top 5 picks or somewhere else, depends on who they like and where they think they can land him.

Without doing both those things they're relying on Kizer for the future (no rookie taken) or Kizer+rookie to start this year (no vet bridge signed).

If you watched the team play you could see it was more than just lack of talent around Kizer, he just seemed lost, unprepared, not careful with the ball, etc. I think Hue's offense contributed as well as he regularly gave up on the run when the score was still close. Then he'd want Kizer to get those big chunk plays he liked, resulting in many negative plays (sacks, picks, fumbles).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I am thinking along the lines of a bridge guy.  That allows the browns tonupgrade talent overall and see if the investment on kizer pays off.

I would have to think that unless the Browns brain trust thinks that one of the QBs coming out this year is transcendent (if they believe that, then use the #1 on the QB), they are better off doing some combination of the following:

1. Sign a bridge QB and give Kizer a year to develop to see if he can be "the guy"

1a. If they are already convinced Kizer is not their guy, could still do a bridge QB, or could go after a better FA QB

2. Use the 1 and 4 picks on greatest need.

2a. If no "generational" talent, then I'd shop the picks. A team out there will pay a pretty good haul for the #1. Let's say you can still get a top 10 pick this year, a first next year, and quite possible another 3rd. I'd lean that route, where I still have two top 10 picks this year, another 1st next year and an extra third.

If they keep the 1 and 4 picks, and are set on taking a QB, I'd lean to taking that QB at the #4 pick and not first overall, unless they really have one of these guys well above the others. That way they can either do an offensive overhaul and take Barkley at #1 then QB at 4, can trade down as detailed above, take QB at 4 and still have another top 10 pick to address OL or DB. A lot of options here.

At this early juncture, I'm not convinced any of the QBs coming out are transcendent guys and I think the Browns can do more for the long term good of their franchise by not taking a QB with the #1 overall pick.

16 hours ago, Big Country said:

I would have to think that unless the Browns brain trust thinks that one of the QBs coming out this year is transcendent (if they believe that, then use the #1 on the QB), they are better off doing some combination of the following:

1. Sign a bridge QB and give Kizer a year to develop to see if he can be "the guy"

1a. If they are already convinced Kizer is not their guy, could still do a bridge QB, or could go after a better FA QB

2. Use the 1 and 4 picks on greatest need.

2a. If no "generational" talent, then I'd shop the picks. A team out there will pay a pretty good haul for the #1. Let's say you can still get a top 10 pick this year, a first next year, and quite possible another 3rd. I'd lean that route, where I still have two top 10 picks this year, another 1st next year and an extra third.

If they keep the 1 and 4 picks, and are set on taking a QB, I'd lean to taking that QB at the #4 pick and not first overall, unless they really have one of these guys well above the others. That way they can either do an offensive overhaul and take Barkley at #1 then QB at 4, can trade down as detailed above, take QB at 4 and still have another top 10 pick to address OL or DB. A lot of options here.

At this early juncture, I'm not convinced any of the QBs coming out are transcendent guys and I think the Browns can do more for the long term good of their franchise by not taking a QB with the #1 overall pick.

Although I'm not a Browns fan, I would love to see them competitive.  I would take Chubb and Saquon if that's possible with the #1 & #4 picks.  Pick up a decent veteran QB to fill in if available and draft from there.  I watched a few games last year (maybe 3), and it looked like they were mostly competitive in those games.  A few players could completely change this team around to a 5-6 win team vs barely a 1 win team.  They keep trading early picks for more picks in future years.  It's time to start cashing those in getting some significant talent.  Besides, a combo DE of Chubb and Garrett could be scary!

53 minutes ago, NAUgrad said:

Although I'm not a Browns fan, I would love to see them competitive.  I would take Chubb and Saquon if that's possible with the #1 & #4 picks.  Pick up a decent veteran QB to fill in if available and draft from there.  I watched a few games last year (maybe 3), and it looked like they were mostly competitive in those games.  A few players could completely change this team around to a 5-6 win team vs barely a 1 win team.  They keep trading early picks for more picks in future years.  It's time to start cashing those in getting some significant talent.  Besides, a combo DE of Chubb and Garrett could be scary!

Agree they have 2 top 5 picks, they need to draft players to help, not trade and have more later picks. The fans here will crucify the team if they trade out of 1 or 4 and don't get something exceptional.

If they really like a QB and believe he is the guy, sure take him at #1. If he's somebody that likely isn't going top 5 (Allen used to fit, not sure now), take Barkley and then QB at 4. Or Barkley and Fitzpatrick or Chubb at 4.

The QB they get in FA may say something about their draft plans, or maybe not.

16 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

i think i'd rather have bortles than AJ

Bortles would be the safer choice.  He has at least shown he is serviceable.  AJ is the unknown commodity behind door number 3.  He could be a bust or he could be elite.  I think if I was rebuilding a team I'd choose AJ over Bortles.  But for a playoff caliber team like the Jaguars, I'd choose Bortles over AJ.