[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you rank Saquon Barkley in a redraft fantasy draft?

michaelredd9

Where do you rank Saquon Barkley in a redraft fantasy draft?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you rank Saquon Barkley in a redraft fantasy draft?

• Pick 1-2
    • Pick 3-4
    • Pick 5-6
    • Pick 7-8
    • Pick 9-10
    • Pick 11-12
    • 2nd round

Saquon will surely be a workhorse back.  The only knock on him is that he'll probably end up on the Colts, Giants, or Browns.  But if he gets 300+ carries and 50+ receptions, the team he ends up on won't prevent him from being a fantasy stud.  If a redraft draft were held today, where would you have him ranked?

Edited by michaelredd9

He's been hyped as much or more as any rookie RB I can remember in recent history. Too bad he won't replicate Ezekiel Elliott and land on an offense with a great offensive line. Right now I would rank him in the second round from the risk of not knowing where he lands. The Giants and Colts have terrible O-lines but maybe they fix them finally. The Browns O-line is not that bad at all. All three teams are installing new offenses which is probably no help.

1 hour ago, DMD said:

He's been hyped as much or more as any rookie RB I can remember in recent history. Too bad he won't replicate Ezekiel Elliott and land on an offense with a great offensive line. Right now I would rank him in the second round from the risk of not knowing where he lands. The Giants and Colts have terrible O-lines but maybe they fix them finally. The Browns O-line is not that bad at all. All three teams are installing new offenses which is probably no help.

It is unlikely that Saquon will rush for 1,600 yards on any of the teams that will likely draft him.  But receiving stats are far more important than rushing yards in elevating a player from tier 2 to tier 1.  Saquon is being promoted as an elite receiver.  Scouts are saying that he was a better receiver than any of the wide receivers in the Big Ten last year.  Alvin Kamara was the 3rd or 4th highest scoring fantasy running back last season depending on the scoring system.  He had 120 carries for 728 yards.  Even on the Giants and Colts, it will be difficult for Saquon not to be tier 1 if he is a 3-down back featured in the passing game.

• Like 2

Few things regarding the Browns

First I was not aware they are implementing a new offense again this year, I figured that the same basic offense that has been used the last 2 seasons by Hue Jackson will continue with him still being head coach, with Todd Haley taking over the play calling duties. Would be surprised if Haley brings in a completely new offense, since Hue is an offensive coach and has his own system.

Second, Isaiah Crowell who is not a great RB had some decent years with CLE recently, in the last 2 seasons starting every game

2016 - 198 rush for 952 yards (4.8av), 40 rec on 52 targets for 319 yards, 7 combined TDs

2017 - 206 rush for 853 yards (4.1 av), 28 rec on 42 targets for 182 yards

So a much better quality RB should be able to put up good stats. That is if they stop abandoning the running game, a major problem last year which Hue admitted and said he'd work on fixing, but kept doing the same thing.

PS  Joe Thomas may retire, if so the Browns OL takes a step back as they look to fill that whole and make some other upgrades.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

So a much better quality RB should be able to put up good stats. That is if they stop abandoning the running game, a major problem last year which Hue admitted and said he'd work on fixing, but kept doing the same thing.

PS  Joe Thomas may retire, if so the Browns OL takes a step back as they look to fill that whole and make some other upgrades.

Todd Haley was guilty of going pass-happy a lot in Pittsburgh, despite having arguably the best RB in the game in Le"Veon Bell. Pittsburgh was the 11th most pass heavy team in the league last year based on pass to run ratio (Cleveland was 5th most pass-happy). If you look purely at number of pass plays called per game, the Steelers ranked 2nd behind New England. Of course, Haley won't have Ben Roethlisberger at QB in Cleveland, but I wouldn't expect his insertion into offensive play calling or game planning to mean a firmer commitment to running the ball. Let's also not forget how often game situation puts Cleveland into pass mode as they attempt to play catch up.

4 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

Todd Haley was guilty of going pass-happy a lot in Pittsburgh, despite having arguably the best RB in the game in Le"Veon Bell. Pittsburgh was the 11th most pass heavy team in the league last year based on pass to run ratio (Cleveland was 5th most pass-happy). If you look purely at number of pass plays called per game, the Steelers ranked 2nd behind New England. Of course, Haley won't have Ben Roethlisberger at QB in Cleveland, but I wouldn't expect his insertion into offensive play calling or game planning to mean a firmer commitment to running the ball. Let's also not forget how often game situation puts Cleveland into pass mode as they attempt to play catch up.

As a Browns fan living in the CLE market and watching most of their games I can tell you they abandoned the run too quickly in too many games, not just because they were playing catchup. There were games they were within a single score at half time, and virtually on rushing attempts in the 2nd half. For a bad offense with a rookie QB, few receiving weapons but a decent running game to be the 5th highest passing offense is a problem.

What bugs me is the coach kept admitting (when asked) that he did it and would work on changing it, then did the same thing in the next game.

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

As a Browns fan living in the CLE market and watching most of their games I can tell you they abandoned the run too quickly in too many games, not just because they were playing catchup. There were games they were within a single score at half time, and virtually on rushing attempts in the 2nd half. For a bad offense with a rookie QB, few receiving weapons but a decent running game to be the 5th highest passing offense is a problem.

What bugs me is the coach kept admitting (when asked) that he did it and would work on changing it, then did the same thing in the next game.

Maybe they didn't want to win.  The first pick in the draft has a lot of value.  Winning 4 games in a season ain't worth much.

5 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

Le'Veon still led the league in carries by a decent margin.  As long as Saquon is a 3-down back, he can get 300+ carries regardless if he is on a pass-happy team.  The least amount of carries a team had last year was 360.  I think a bigger worry with the Browns is that Duke Johnson could retain 3rd down duties.  That would prevent Saquon from getting more than 50 receptions.  But maybe the Browns will trade Duke if they draft Saquon.  A lot of teams would love to have a running back with Duke's receiving skills.  And Duke would probably be willing to sign a team-friendly deal with whoever traded for him since he has a year left on his rookie contract that hasn't paid him much.

On 3/3/2018 at 1:50 AM, michaelredd9 said:

Saquon will surely be a workhorse back.  The only knock on him is that he'll probably end up on the Colts, Giants, or Browns.  But if he gets 300+ carries and 50+ receptions, the team he ends up on won't prevent him from being a fantasy stud.  If a redraft draft were held today, where would you have him ranked?

If he wasn't a workhorse in college, why would he be in the pros?  :unsure:

51 minutes ago, darin3 said:

If he wasn't a workhorse in college, why would he be in the pros?  :unsure:

He has the size and power to be a workhorse.  My guess is that he didn't get more carries because defenses were stacking the box and daring Penn State to beat them through the air.  Penn State had a poor offensive line so they couldn't just play smash mouth football.  He did average more than 20 touches per game in both of the last two seasons.  Are you saying he wasn't used more heavily because they thought he couldn't handle it?

Edited by michaelredd9

21 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

He has the size and power to be a workhorse.  My guess is that he didn't get more carries because defenses were stacking the box and daring Penn State to beat them through the air.  Penn State had a poor offensive line so they couldn't just play smash mouth football.  He did average more than 20 touches per game in both of the last two seasons.  Are you saying he wasn't used more heavily because they thought he couldn't handle it?

:lol:  I agree, was just playing the other side.  Barkley's a beast.

12 hours ago, darin3 said:

:lol:  I agree, was just playing the other side.  Barkley's a beast.

It is strange that the best running back in the nation would only get 20 or more carries in 3 games.  He only had 14 carries in a close loss against Michigan State in a back-and-forth game where no team led by more than 7 points at any point.  You'd think it would've been a good game for him to have gotten 25+ carries.  He did play in 80% of snaps on the season and the 20% of snaps he didn't play were mostly garbage time.  He played in 66 of 69 snaps against Michigan State and 64 of 64 snaps against Ohio State.  So even when he wasn't touching the ball, he was pass protecting behind a porous offensive line.

10 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

I guess the Browns are less likely to draft Barkley after agreeing to terms with Carlos Hyde. No?

I don’t get it but I’m not the Browns. I would

have taken Barkley 1.1 then best QB at 1.4 but with Hude,

Barkley goes to the Giants and Cleveland trades the 1.4 to Buffalo

• 2 weeks later...

Was doing some research. Interesting - the first running back taken in each of the last three drafts finished their rookie season in the Top eight

2017 Leonard Fournette #8

2016 Ezekiel Elliott #2

2015 Todd Gurley #5 (in 13 games)

And Barkley is generating more expectations and hype than any of those three.

Hmmm.... Not going to see Barkley in the second round. Knowing how well those other three did, can Barkley be considered worse than the first half of the first round?

27 minutes ago, DMD said:

Was doing some research. Interesting - the first running back taken in each of the last three drafts finished their rookie season in the Top eight

2017 Leonard Fournette #8

2016 Ezekiel Elliott #2

2015 Todd Gurley #5 (in 13 games)

And Barkley is generating more expectations and hype than any of those three.

Hmmm.... Not going to see Barkley in the second round. Knowing how well those other three did, can Barkley be considered worse than the first half of the first round?

Zeke in Dallas didn't generate expectations and hype?  :huh:

Edited by darin3

for the life of me I cannot understand how when EVERYONE is talking about Barkley to the Browns it is completely discounted that they signed Carlos Hyde.

I get the Barkley hype, but would Cleveland really have signed Hyde to $5M per year, and would he really have agreed to sign without assurance that they weren't taking Barkley?

its just strange to me.  Hyde is too good to be a literal backup.     

54 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Zeke in Dallas didn't generate expectations and hype?  :huh:

He obviously did. Gurley and Fournette had more than a little hype as well. The point was that Barkley is generating more hype and expectations than Elliott in what I am finding. And Elliott came out to be the No. 2 back as a rookie. Even just considered an equal to Elliott would be huge. Barkley is like Elliott only with better receiving skills and faster despite being slightly bigger. And without any girlfriend baggage.