[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pick the projected starting QB for 2018

NAUgrad

Since there is not much else to talk about, let's see if we can figure out who will be the projected starting QB, after the draft, on the following teams:

Minn:

NY Jets:

Denver:

Arizona:

Cleveland:

I'll go with:

Minn:  Cousins

NY Jets:  Josh Rosen

Denver:  Josh Allen

Arizona:  Case Keenum

Cleveland:  AJ McCarron

22 hours ago, darin3 said:

Josh Allen is not NFL-ready.  Dude needs to sit at least 2 years.

Kizer was not NFL ready and started a whole bunch of games last year, this happens to some team almost every year, even now without the massive rookie contracts for top picks that were forcing GMs/owners to make their coach play the rookie.

It's going to be interesting how all of this shakes out.  There are 7 young, starting caliber quarterbacks available as free agents or in trade.  I can't remember there ever being anywhere near this many in previous off-seasons.  None of those 7 are going to want to be a backup or sign with a team that drafts one of the 3 or 4 quarterbacks at the top of the first round.  There aren't enough landing spots for all of them.  I doubt Philadelphia gets what they are asking for Foles.  They should be happy if it is true that a team offered a second round pick for him.  No one may offer anything for Tyrod Taylor.  Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater will probably have to sign prove-it deals or sign as a backup.  They might be wise to wait for a starting quarterback to get hurt, finish out a season for that team, and then re-enter free agency next year.  There could be some serious bargains at quarterback since supply outstrips demand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Kizer was not NFL ready and started a whole bunch of games last year, this happens to some team almost every year, even now without the massive rookie contracts for top picks that were forcing GMs/owners to make their coach play the rookie.

Yeah, but he plays for the Browns.  :shrug: 

17 hours ago, Zooty said:

I see what you did there....

....who aren't an actual NFL team. :woot:

Yes so witty and original, never heard that before :rolleyes:

Whichever FA QB the Browns sign they'll have to accept a short term starter roles, Kizer and another top rookie will be in the wings for the future. That is why I think they don't even pursue Cousins and focus on McArron and others.

Minn:  Cousins

NY Jets: Allen or Mayfield but will need to trade up to Colts slot #3 to get one if Denver doesn't get Cousins.

Denver:  Allen or Mayfield

Arizona:  Keenum?  But Keenum may go to Buffalo.

Cleveland: Tyrod Taylor (hold the fort for Mayfield or Allen to be drafted at #4)

Giants: Eli Manning (final year in NY for Eli, with Darnold or Rosen drafted at #2)

I have a feeling that the first 3 picks of the draft are going to be quarterbacks.  The Colts could get an offer they can't refuse for the 3rd pick.  A franchise quarterback is worth way more than a franchise running back or any other position.  When you don't have a franchise quarterback and you have the opportunity to draft one, you do it.  The Giants might be posturing that they'll take Saquon because they want Cleveland to take Saquon with the 1st pick and take the leftover quarterback at #4.  If Cleveland drafts a quarterback with the 1st pick and Saquon is taken with the 2nd or 3rd pick, Cleveland can still trade the 4th pick for beaucoup picks since Darnold, Rosen or Allen will be available.

Edited by michaelredd9

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I have a feeling that the first 3 picks of the draft are going to be quarterbacks. 

If Ryan Grigson were still the GM in Indy you may have been on to something.   But no way will they pass on Barkley if hes there.  Chubb is a nice consolation prize tho.  

15 minutes ago, Shorttynaz said:

If Ryan Grigson were still the GM in Indy you may have been on to something.   But no way will they pass on Barkley if hes there.  Chubb is a nice consolation prize tho.  

Even if the Colts don't trade the pick and take Saquon, I think it is best for the Browns to pick the best quarterback and wait to see what is there at #4.  Worst case scenario is that they trade the 4th pick for a boatload since a top 3 quarterback will be available.

6 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I've heard a lot of people say one of the other guys. 

Is there a consensus #1?

I meant both Josh's and Darnold by saying "Josh Darnold" though some are even saying Baker will be best.  But I think any general manager should have a preference after studying them.  And even a small preference is enough justification for using the first pick on a quarterback instead of waiting until the 4th pick and choosing between what is left over.  Potentially missing out on a stud running back isn't a hugh deal.  But I think there is a good chance Saquon is still available at the 4 spot.

I agree if they think one QB is better than the others, but better not just by a tiny bit, but better enough to be worth the difference in what you can get at #4, then take a QB at #1   If not I go with Barkley, especially with a more proven starter in Taylor (than say McCarron, or Bradford/Bridgewater with injury issues).

I know the pressure is there though, if they pass on a QB, and the one they get isn't as successful. Of course they could have the same thing happen if they take a QB at #1, the 2nd or 3rd QB could end up playing better (and that may be entirely possible no matter who they pick depending on how they develop and quality of talent around them).