[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sherman out in Seattle

jamesplante11

11 hours ago, LordOpie said:

i wonder if that deal is subject to him eventually passing a physical as there's no way he's recovered from a torn Achilles. if SF doesn't have an out due to sherman not recovering, then John Lynch needs to be fired.

He took a physical yesterday.  Looks like a 1 yr deal with lots of incentives with 2nd and 3rd years only if he makes all pro. 

15 hours ago, LordOpie said:

While people will criticize Sherman for representing himself, I think he did really well.

The deal is getting slammed nationally. Apparently little money is guaranteed and if Sherman meets his incentives, he's locked into a 2019 contract well below market value.  The 49ers scored big time.

15 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

so, Sherman has the potential to earn top FIVE money coming off a significant injury and will receive $3MIL if his career is done?

I'm unsure how anyone could suggest that Sherman was foolish? He negotiated a great deal.

Lots of places pointing out something different...

Sporting News

PFT

Hell even another player Joe Thomas

And that is just the first couple entries into a Google search.  I also liked this from the Boston Globe

4. His logic is completely backward.

Sherman was willing to bet on himself with Pro Bowl, All-Pro, and an insanely high 90 percent playing-time threshold (meaning he pretty much has to play in every snap for at least 14 games).

And here’s his reasoning: “Once I make a Pro Bowl, $8 million the next year is guaranteed for me. It gives me the ability to control my destiny,” Sherman told King. “The 49ers have skin in the game. I have skin in the game.

“In my former contract, no matter what I did this year, nothing would be guaranteed to me next year. I couldn’t feel secure in my contract. Now, if I play the way I know I’m capable of playing, I know I’m going to get paid.”

Sherman has it backward. If he plays like a Pro Bowler, the 49ers are now going to have him locked in to another year of a below-market, high-risk, incentive-laden deal.

If he plays like a Pro Bowler, he’d much rather be a free agent in 2019, so he can cash in on his market value. Going year to year, the way Darrelle Revis did, is far more lucrative.

And his contract still doesn’t protect him for 2019 and beyond, because the team can still easily release him, with only $2 million in dead money.

Basically it looks like he's betting a lot on himself to not only come back from injury fast but also to play at high snaps and playing level to unlock incentives each year in order to reach anywhere near the top end of that contact, all while having little to no protection against a team releasing him at any time for any reason.  Lynch probably loves Sherman because he was gifted one of the most team friendly contracts out there. 

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

so, Sherman has the potential to earn top FIVE money coming off a significant injury and will receive $3MIL if his career is done?

I'm unsure how anyone could suggest that Sherman was foolish? He negotiated a great deal.

I wasn't aware his contract could pay him $12M a year even with incentives, I haven't reviewed it thoroughly. Much of the incentive stuff must not be in the contract info that Spotrac site shows, I see there 3 year $27.2M, or about $9M/year around 20th place on the list I furnished before.

Ok, reading a bit of one of the linked articles, my guess is that many of those hard to reach incentives are not included in his contract numbers in some places, specifically at Spotrac.

Edited by stevegrab

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

heavily incentive based.  if he hits those incentives, it appears both the 9ers and sherman will be happy.  if he does not, minimal loss for the risk of high potential.

Many big time players have come back from a torn achilles.  Cameron Wake, Terrell Suggs, Michael Crabtree, Demaryius Thomas, come to mind.  While 1-year prove it deals can often be typical after an injury; multi year deals aren't.   The best case scenario for Sherman ends up being getting paid well below market value in 2019.  He acted as his own agent; and the 49ers took full advantage of it.  A professional agent would have never allowed his client to agree to the deal. 

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Confused 1

Oh and as the Sporting News article pointed out:

"had Sherman taken the prove-it option, he would have been 31 when hitting free agency in 2019. That would be one year older than Darrelle Revis was when he signed a $14 million contract with $39 million guaranteed with the Jets in 2015.  Sherman also would be one year older than Nnamdi Asomugha was when he signed a $12 million-per-year contract way back in 2011 with $25 million guaranteed at signing.

Given Sherman’s elite status, those two contracts should have been the starting point for a new deal in 2019, with annual increases in the salary cap taken into account and bringing values into modern dollars"

Sherman severely hindered his opportunity to sign his 2nd and last "big" contract. 

I know Lord Dopie is having a hard time comprehending how Sherman likely sabotaged himself here;  but it's really pretty straightforward.   

On 3/15/2018 at 8:57 PM, LordOpie said:

so you're saying that he was brilliant for squeezing $3mil out of SF eventho he can't run, which is important for a CB?

No saying that if he can’t run and can’t make the team then this may be all for nothing. The team must have an out if he’s PUP

• 6 months later...

49ers cornerback Richard Sherman‘s calf injury could cost him millions.

Under the one-year contract that Sherman negotiated on his own, missing “a few weeks” due to the leg injury likely means missing out on significant incentive payments.

For starters, the injury will jeopardize a $1 million payment based on participating in 90 percent of the team’s snaps. It also will make it much harder to qualify for the Pro Bowl, which comes with a $1 million bonus, or to earn a spot on the Associated Press All-Pro team, which pays out another $2 million.

That’s $4 million that likely will disappear due to the injury.

Sherman also agreed to $2 million in per-game roster bonuses. He’ll lose $125,000 for each game he misses.

Wonder if he hires an agent next year.