[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Landry to Cleveland

jamesplante11

12 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I think it was miscommunication.

I think mr9 was saying that flacco was the most recent QB to be a 1st round pick who won the SB. In other words, out of the 27 QBs drafted in the 1st*, only one of them won it all.

* EDIT: in the past 10 years.

Correct, and my point was that any QB drafted in the first round has had a heck of a stone wall to break through, regardless of where TB, etc., were drafted.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

My wording was ambiguous.  Not one quarterback drafted in the first round since 2008 has won a Super Bowl (except Carson Wentz).

Technically Wentz was only on the SB winning team, he didn't even play in the playoffs. Sure he got a SB ring but calling him a SB winning QB requires a super sized * 

Been too swamped to reply and still am but it all comes down to supply & demand as well as positional importance. I’ll come back later to expound, once I get a chance. 

Also, nothing was cherry picked. There was a genuine interest in something so I started to mine the data. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Fwiw, my initial gut was QB at 1.1 & Barkley at 1.4.  

Edited by keggerz

19 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I guarantee that mr9 put wentz in parenthesis exactly floor that reason. Was that not clear?

I figured he was in parentheses since he was the exception to the rest of the statement.

"Not one quarterback drafted in the first round since 2008 has won a Super Bowl (except Carson Wentz)."

Edited by stevegrab

8 hours ago, LordOpie said:

FWIW, no way Barkley is available at 1.4

7 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

Agreed, if Cleveland passes on Barkley at 1 the only thing left up for debate is if the NYG owner flogs his dolphin before or after the GM Sends in the ticket to take Barkley at 2

That feeling was pre-combine but I still think he'll fall farther than people think. Why? Because I don't buy that the Giants are going to forsake taking a QB when Eli isn't very good and they need an heir. That leaves Indy at 3. The only way I can see Indy taking Barkley is if Cleveland takes Chubb at 1.1 but even then they probably still go D. As for a trade up to get Barkley, the draft cost to take him that early is way high as it is, let alone someone ponying up more to trade up into the top 4 to get him. Could it happen? Sure, I just don't think it will. 

12 hours ago, keggerz said:

Been too swamped to reply and still am but it all comes down to supply & demand as well as positional importance. I’ll come back later to expound, once I get a chance. 

Also, nothing was cherry picked. There was a genuine interest in something so I started to mine the data. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Fwiw, my initial gut was QB at 1.1 & Barkley at 1.4.  

Other factors that I figured would have been assumed when it comes to taking a RB that high...

The NFL is a QB driven league and as I stated earlier, it's all about supply and demand and there's never enough of a supply of QBs. Teams can always cobble together a running attack but they're less likely to do so at QB. Look at Dallas and GB as two examples. Alf & Rod stepped in and did a decent job while Zeke was out. That wasn't the case for GB when Rodgers went down. I'm sure there are other similar situations that could be pointed to, too. 

I know that things are looking up for the Browns but there is still no denying that over the past X number of seasons that they've been one of the worst teams in the league. I can't speak to all of those HOFers I referenced but I feel safe saying that most if not all probably didn't go into situations as bad as where the Browns are coming from. 

As for the Browns, I'm not a homer, but my wife is a Browns fan so I have a rooting interest in them succeeding. No matter what route they take, I hope it works out for them. 

Edited by keggerz

On 3/12/2018 at 6:02 PM, LordOpie said:

And the real point is... How can anyone say that the data suggests drafting a rb in top 5 is a bad idea? ... When the same can be said for qbs

Because they are basically apples and oranges. If you or anyone else doesn't get that teams will reach and overpay much more often than not for QBs dues to their overall importance to a team's success than a RB then I can't help ya. 

On 3/12/2018 at 12:43 AM, LordOpie said:

i'm reading some of that nonsense, just wow...

he talks like championships are won or lost by one guy on the team. Even Michael Jordan had a quality group of guys around him. Should Dan Marino be removed from the HoF?

Also, as someone who has master's level classes in statistics, econometrics, modeling... I know just enough to say that guy couldn't crunch data to get a straight line between two points.

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Lol  defensive much

Why wouldn't I be?

• Sad 1

Fwiw, a source of mine (same one I broke KFuller as the player to be named later from) says that at the combine Hue said they are taking Barkley. People said I was crazy when I said Fulle was the PTBNL, even as he said he wasn't traded and while I have a hard time believing it I have to report what I find out, no matter if I agree with it or not. But I am skeptical to an extent since it was said at the combine in a passing convo which is why I'm a bit skeptical, but it is what it is. 

Man I’m loving the Browns decisions this year. From the front office to the additions. This might be the most impressive off season for the Browns I can remember. And we are just getting started. Carlos Hyde too? I just hope they don’t mess up the draft lol. Browns fans should be excited. We’ll see....so far so good

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

Man I’m loving the Browns decisions this year. From the front office to the additions. This might be the most impressive off season for the Browns I can remember. And we are just getting started. Carlos Hyde too? I just hope they don’t mess up the draft lol. Browns fans should be excited. We’ll see....so far so good

Not exactly a high bar to get over.......

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

As a long time Browns fan, Hyde would be a great improvement, but does that mean that Barkley is now off their draft board?  Or could they still go ahead and draft Barkley even after signing Hyde, and working on a new deal with Duke Johnson?  :thinking:  Hyde has performed very well when he's been on field, and finished just outside of top 10 in PPR last year if i remember correctly.  He'd fare much better and stay healthier behind the Browns O-line, than the 49'ers.  Hard not to get excited about the prospect of drafting Barkley though, especially with all the other offseason moves.. 

28 minutes ago, kdko said:

As a long time Browns fan, Hyde would be a great improvement, but does that mean that Barkley is now off their draft board?  Or could they still go ahead and draft Barkley even after signing Hyde, and working on a new deal with Duke Johnson?  :thinking:  Hyde has performed very well when he's been on field, and finished just outside of top 10 in PPR last year if i remember correctly.  He'd fare much better and stay healthier behind the Browns O-line, than the 49'ers.  Hard not to get excited about the prospect of drafting Barkley though, especially with all the other offseason moves..

Would be a major shock to see them draft Barkley after signing Hyde. Team has lots of holes, if you're already planning to draft a once in a decade talent RB, why sign a competent starter now? Its not like a QB where you need time to adapt to the NFL, RB is one of the easiest.

QB and Fitzpatrick, maybe Chubb. Good chance to trade from 4 as well. I might actually watch the first round of the draft this year.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

Landry just signed his extension with Cleveland....5 year 75 million 47 million guaranteed per Rapoport

I love Landry. I'm glad he finally got the recognition he deserves. That is a massive contract. Props to Cleveland for securing one of the most underrated WR's in the NFL. 

• Like 2

I suspect many Browns fans will bash this deal, they'll say they shouldn't pay that much for a mediocre talent, that Josh Gordon is already WR1, that we should have signed OBJ or some other nonsense. And they'll do all that before they even see the details of the contract, let alone what Landry can do for the Browns.

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I suspect many Browns fans will bash this deal, they'll say they shouldn't pay that much for a mediocre talent, that Josh Gordon is already WR1, that we should have signed OBJ or some other nonsense. And they'll do all that before they even see the details of the contract, let alone what Landry can do for the Browns.

Ask them how they defend a "mediocre talent".  And Sammy Watkins is a lazy, overpaid WR that should not even be in the same conversation as Landry. 

Edited by tazinib1