[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Landry to Cleveland

jamesplante11

44 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

Ask them how they defend a "mediocre talent".  And Sammy Watkins is a lazy, overpaid WR that should not even be in the same conversation as Landry.

I've given up trying to reason with most of them, they're all experts in football and know better than any GM. Some are already calling for Dorsey's head if he drafts somebody (Allen mostly, but several of the QBs) in a spot they don't agree with.

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I've given up trying to reason with most of them, they're all experts in football and know better than any GM. Some are already calling for Dorsey's head if he drafts somebody (Allen mostly, but several of the QBs) in a spot they don't agree with.

OMG are we actually agreeing on someing>>>>>????? Call the Huddle Police. Where is LordOpie when you need him

Landry is a far better fantasy receiver than Watkins.  But real football can be different than fantasy.  Landry is an unathletic but physical receiver.  He is a possession receiver running simple routes right in front of his quarterback.  Possession receivers often put up high reception totals which is very nice in PPR leagues.  He doesn't command a lot of attention from the defense.  Sammy Watkins is fast, athletic, and big.  He is a good deep threat.  He does command a lot of attention from the defense.  With the type of routes he runs and the attention he receives from the defense, he isn't going to put up big reception totals.  But the attention he receives from the defense is still a game changer.

If I had to choose between Landry and Watkins for an NFL team, I'd probably choose Landry.  I'd rather have an overachiever with little natural talent over an underachiever with a lot of natural talent.  Players like Watkins never seem to reach their potential.  These last two seasons have essentially been contract years for Watkins.  He didn't work very hard.  He now "earned" his first big payday.  I think we can be sure that he'll work less hard in the next few years.  But there is no denying his natural skills.  He has the potential to be a top-5 NFL receiver if he were committed to his craft.  But instead, he is probably Roy Williams all over again.

Edited by michaelredd9

9 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Landry is a far better fantasy receiver than Watkins.  But real football can be different than fantasy.  Landry is an unathletic but physical receiver.  He is a possession receiver running simple routes right in front of his quarterback.  Possession receivers often put up high reception totals which is very nice in PPR leagues.  He doesn't command a lot of attention from the defense.  Sammy Watkins is fast, athletic, and big.  He is a good deep threat.  He does command a lot of attention from the defense.  With the type of routes he runs and the attention he receives from the defense, he isn't going to put up big reception totals.  But the attention he receives from the defense is still a game changer.

If I had to choose between Landry and Watkins for an NFL team, I'd probably choose Landry.  I'd rather have an overachiever with little natural talent over an underachiever with a lot of natural talent.  Players like Watkins never seem to reach their potential.  These last two seasons have essentially been contract years for Watkins.  He didn't work very hard.  He now "earned" his first big payday.  I think we can be sure that he'll work less hard in the next few years.  But there is no denying his natural skills.  He has the potential to be a top-5 NFL receiver if he were committed to his craft.  But instead, he is probably Roy Williams all over again.

Good post.  The reason guys like Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods had excellent seasons last year was because Watkins always drew the defense's #1 corner.  His freakish ability alone necessitated it.  Not surprisingly, the Rams went out and got Brandin Cooks so their offense didn't take a step back.

You're right... Landry is fantasy gold in PPR formats.  He was serviceable in non-PPR.  I remember grabbing him after someone dumped him in one such league last season.  I used him as my WR2 / flex and he was fine.