[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FAs: what do you want for your team

BeeR

Just now, LordOpie said:

are you CLE fans good with this?

If Barkley turns out to be special like AP, I'll be a bit bummed. But we're used to watching our team pass on players who go on to have very good careers, and I'm rational enough to know that they wouldn't always (or often) turn out the same if we drafted them. I'm not still crying over passing on Wentz like many here are.

I trust Dorsey, I'm not one of these self proclaimed NFL experts that doubts every move my team makes (like most Browns fans I interact with online, my friends who are fans are more rational). He is making some bold moves, signing guys to help that I hadn't considered practical (Landry, Hyde) and not just making the safe moves (McCarron as bridge QB was expected, I think Taylor is a better option).

I do fear that no matter what the QB at 1 is a big risk, no matter which one we take. We need to make sure and give them time, that means we have adequate backup QBs, and the rookie never sees the field in year one.

59 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Was not expecting that, which means no Barkley, not at 1 or 4, almost certainly QB at #1, maybe Fitzpatrick at 4 or trade to a team lusting after Barkley / remaining QBs.

Just signed ex Chiefs CB Terrence Mitchell as well, and Demarius Randell has said he will play safety

I still wouldn’t mind Barkley at 1, Fitzpatrick or Nelson at 4 and Mason Rudolph at pick 33. Most likely not happening tho

56 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

Just signed ex Chiefs CB Terrence Mitchell as well, and Demarius Randell has said he will play safety

I still wouldn’t mind Barkley at 1, Fitzpatrick or Nelson at 4 and Mason Rudolph at pick 33. Most likely not happening tho

Yes there is no way that's happening, Dorsey may as well resign if he doesn't take a QB at 1 or 4.

16 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

Dorsey and Jackson are both skippping Mayfield and Rosen's pro day...big deal here or Cleveland beat writers just bored?

Browns beat writers are pot stirring sensationalistic types, especially fan unfavorite Mary Kay Cabot.

Just saw another Browns signing I missed, TE Darren Fells, 3yr/$12M

10 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

Yeah not sure whats up there, sucks for DeValve

Based on target numbers (average 21/year. little over 1.5/game) , Fells appears to more of a blocking TE. Devalve only had 12 targets his rookie year (played in 12 games), but ballooned to 58 last year (in part because we didn't have good/healthy WR).

Thinking this is more a move to help the OL with a blocking TE, than somebody to take snaps away from Njoku/Devalve.

11 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

You got to hand it to the dude so far.  He's had 1 year to clean up Grigson's mess.  You don't rebuild through Free Agency.  Kind of cliché, but there's meaning to "these guys are free agents for a reason" - they're either too old and only shells of their former selves, or they're too ungodly expensive to have that much $$ wrapped up into one player for the forseeable future - like Suh for the Dolphins.  Butler would have been ok, but dude isn't a shutdown corner.  Lewis - I'm glad they didn't lock up $$ in him when they can just draft someone or sign a warm body who will be about as successful as Lewis would have been.  I think Ballard is doing it right, as much as you nor I want to see it.  Don't budge - don't overpay for names unless that one name is someone who meets a need and masks the issues at two other positions (like a stud QB or a massive presence on the D line).  I would like to see them make a play for Suh, but the Colts have never been a team to take on loose cannons.  If they could get Jordy Nelson on the cheap for a 2 year deal, that would be a good fit too - but it won't happen.  Nelson will want more years and someone else will pay him more based on what he did in his prime.  Hell, as much as I want to see the Colts take Barkley or Chubb at #3, I am pretty much hoping they flip that for more picks.  Focus on the O-line and defense.  Sure - they're gonna suck for a few years, but a team like Seattle didn't get good through Free Agency.  If you have someone who is better at judging talent (unlike Grigson who was only good at judging cheesesteaks), they'll be relevant in another two or three years - unfortunately right around the time Luck has to retire for medical reasons. 

Sorry but almost nothing you said above is correct.  You don't build ENTIRELY through free agency, but it's not an all or nothing thing.  It depends on the specifics. If you have the cap room and the need and the talent is there, which is the Colts' situation to say the least, it makes absolutely zero sense to sit on your hands and watch it ALL fly by.  And these guys are FAs for a reason, yeah....but for many the reason is simply their contract is up and the team has other bigger needs, or not enough cap space, or a promising younger and/or cheaper guy.........etc.  It doesn't mean they're "ungodly expensive" or washed up or whatever.  You can't always get a FA at precisely the price YOU want.  Ballard is being pig-headed and stupid IMO.  They'd need far more picks than they have to rebuild this team.  PS and oh btw even if they did, Luck isn't exactly a rookie and by the time many of them peak, he could be gone.  

Again I didn't expect a lot of big splashy signings, or even any big ones per se, but something.  

Edited by BeeR

2 hours ago, BeeR said:

Sorry but almost nothing you said above is correct.  You don't build ENTIRELY through free agency, but it's not an all or nothing thing.  It depends on the specifics. If you have the cap room and the need and the talent is there, which is the Colts' situation to say the least, it makes absolutely zero sense to sit on your hands and watch it ALL fly by.  And these guys are FAs for a reason, yeah....but for many the reason is simply their contract is up and the team has other bigger needs, or not enough cap space, or a promising younger and/or cheaper guy.........etc.  It doesn't mean they're "ungodly expensive" or washed up or whatever.  You can't always get a FA at precisely the price YOU want.  Ballard is being pig-headed and stupid IMO.  They'd need far more picks than they have to rebuild this team.  PS and oh btw even if they did, Luck isn't exactly a rookie and by the time many of them peak, he could be gone.  

Again I didn't expect a lot of big splashy signings, or even any big ones per se, but something.  

As usual - we disagree.  What I said above is an opinion and it differs from yours.  It's frustrating to see these names going to contenders, but lets be honest.  Outside of Allen Robinson or maybe Norwell, who could make an immediate difference on this team this year?  The Colts are still gonna suck regardless.  Why waste the money just cause you have it.  Dion Lewis or Malcolm Butler?  I'm glad the Colts didn't overpay - they're both slightly above average players, not difference makers.  Dude - we were all giddy a few years ago when the Colts seemed to be on the cusp and they signed both Frank Gore and Andre Johnson amongst a few others.  Going balls in on big "name" free agents rarely works.  The Jets tried it a few years ago and flopped about as bad as the Colts did.  I read an article yesterday about how Ballard said he can give a shit that the fans are pissed off at the lack of signings.  This isn't fantasy football, nor is it the days of Ryan Grigson who did just want the fans were bitching about Ballard not doing now - and look where that got the team.  Had Grigson properly managed Free Agency when he was here, the Colts WOULD be in a position now to make a play for one of these type A players as they wouldn't have as many holes as they do now.  Last year he started trimming the fat and had a solid draft.  This year he continues to do the same.  The way I see it - I say kudos to Ballard.  This is the type of GM we need.

10 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

Rams are pursuing Terrelle Pryor. That would be TITS!!!

Really, he's that great is he?  His one really good year (2016 with CLE 77rec, 1007yd, 4recTD) was when he was the focal point of the passing offense with no other viable receivers, getting 140 targets. Last year in WAS with 9 games, 37 targets (4/game vs almost 9/gm the prior year). Project his 2017 stats for a full season by doubling them, 40rec, 480yds, 2 TDs on 74 targets.

I hope the Rams do sign him, then the Browns won't bother with him and his giant ego. (I hear he thinks he is still worth way more than his value, like last year.)

• Haha 1

This is the type of manure I don't want....

Dolphins released C Mike Pouncey.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Pouncey requested his release, and the Dolphins will acquiesce on Thursday. This is something of a surprising development. Pouncey has serious health concerns and is coming off a down season, but he was still one of Miami's best offensive linemen. The move saves the Dolphins $7 million against the cap, but it opens up another big hole on the interior of their offensive line.

Ugh...lost season already.  Getting rid of any talent and signing crap.  Can already see the house clearing coming after the season.  May as well bottom out now I guess.  :bash:

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Really, he's that great is he?  His one really good year (2016 with CLE 77rec, 1007yd, 4recTD) was when he was the focal point of the passing offense with no other viable receivers, getting 140 targets. Last year in WAS with 9 games, 37 targets (4/game vs almost 9/gm the prior year). Project his 2017 stats for a full season by doubling them, 40rec, 480yds, 2 TDs on 74 targets.

I hope the Rams do sign him, then the Browns won't bother with him and his giant ego. (I hear he thinks he is still worth way more than his value, like last year.)

:lol: Like the Rams and Browns are even slightly comparable in offensive talent, scheme or HC. It's ok Steve, we'll take em and you can bitch later why the Browns let all their good players go. 

1 hour ago, tazinib1 said:

:lol: Like the Rams and Browns are even slightly comparable in offensive talent, scheme or HC. It's ok Steve, we'll take em and you can bitch later why the Browns let all their good players go.

Pryor sucked on the Skins too, with a pretty good QB. But I'm sure the Rams will turn him into a HOFer.

You apparently have slept through the off season if you think the Browns have let all their good players go.

Were Kizer Shelton and Crowell good?

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

you're talking real football. Taz is often wearing FF-colored glasses. Either he's been a FF fan of the player and can't acknowledge any changes in value or he's trying to boost the player's value among leaguemates to trade.

Yes I've noticed that, makes discussions with him useless in general football discussions, which is really what most fans are doing now.

• Like 1