[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kirk Cousins to Minnesota

jamesplante11

Just now, BeeR said:

All the pressure on now.  If they do anything less than make the SB, Vike fans will grumble.  "We got farther with Keenum!"

And they could be right. Not sure why the Vikings felt they needed a much better QB. Lots more change with a new QB than somebody who was there last year and is familiar with the system.

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

And they could be right. Not sure why the Vikings felt they needed a much better QB. Lots more change with a new QB than somebody who was there last year and is familiar with the system.

I guess because they fear Keenum is a one year wonder.

Edited by BeeR

55 minutes ago, BeeR said:

I guess because they fear Keenum is a one year wonder.

I can't speak for the rest of the Vikings fans (or for the team, obviously), but my gut tells me Keenum somewhat reached his ceiling this season.  Not necessarily a one-year wonder (I don't think he'll be garbage going forward, by any means), but I'm not really sure he can do much better than he did last year.  And, while the NFC Championship game was certainly not solely on him, I do think he showed some signs of cracking under pressure in that game.... Something we hadn't seen much of, prior to that.  

I thought there were a number of instances throughout the season where the end result looked much better than the means of getting there, in terms of how he played.  Throwing up desperation passes off of his back foot, only to see Thielen or somebody else bail him out by making a great catch.  Balls that are intercepted at a very high rate were turned into completions, or worst case, incompletions.  Some of that can be attributed to Case having a knack for getting out of pressure situations, but some of it was also pure dumb luck.  I could see that luck running out next year, and his performance bouncing back towards a much more average/mediocre result.  

Bottom line.... I think most would agree that Cousins is an upgrade from Keenum.  How much is the question.  So, the real question becomes at what point is the upgrade worth more than the price difference.  Is Cousins worth double what Keenum is worth, if Keenum is 90% of what Cousins brings, in terms of performance?  Probably not.  On the other hand, I think MIN would gladly pay a lot more for Cousins if they feel the upgrade is significant enough for them to improve from where they were last year.  You can't put a price tag on the potential of reaching/winning a SB, and the reality is that they were pretty close.  Close enough that a home loss to Detroit likely cost them home field advantage in a season in which they could have played in a SB at home.  

I think sticking with Keenum would have been the conservative move.  Signing Cousins may or may not turn out to bring the results they're looking for, but at least it shows me that they're aggressively looking to improve.  And, whether it be trading for Bradford two years ago, or signing Cousins now, I would rather see them making moves towards improvement than just sitting back and hoping things turn out better next year.  

• Like 1