[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the number 1 fantasy tight end in redraft?

michaelredd9

Who is the number 1 fantasy tight end in redraft?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the number 1 fantasy tight end in redraft?

• Zach Ertz
    • Gronk
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Greg Olsen
    • Travis Kelce

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 1:10 PM, darin3 said:

I don't see how it's not Gronk.  Maybe Kelce if Gronk's injury history really bears down on you.

Concerns about a drop off in QB play in KC could ding Kelce a bit, and Ertz numbers are very close, slightly lower yard/catch and TD numbers. Has to be one of those 3.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Concerns about a drop off in QB play in KC could ding Kelce a bit, and Ertz numbers are very close, slightly lower yard/catch and TD numbers. Has to be one of those 3.

KC thought enough about Mahomes to let Smith walk.  Not sure we're going to see much of a dropoff there.  Plus, conventional wisdom tells us that the green QB will rely on his TE.

I think Kelce could have a huge year, but if Gronk is healthy his upside trumps all others.

If I'm sitting in a draft spot where I am required to take a TE with the pick (and all are available), I'm taking Gronk.  That said, as a former Gronk owner, drafting him always feels like a boom or bust decision.  Because of where you have to draft him, it's been difficult to recover on the years when he's been hurt.  Not impossible, but you have to have a few other things go your way to make up for what is essentially throwing away a pick in the first couple of rounds.  On the flip side, on the years when he's been good, the opposite happens.  His production makes up for lack of production elsewhere OR bumps your team into an almost guaranteed playoff status.  

For me, it's always been about how risky I think I need to be.  If I'm sitting in a draft spot where I'm not exactly thrilled about my options, maybe I grab Gronk and hope for the best, knowing that whatever direction I go, there is going to be risk.  On the other hand, if I love my situation in terms of other players/positions, I'd probably pass on him and wait for the right TE to fall to where the value is too much to pass on.  

But, again, if they're all on the table, and I'm forced to pick one, I'd be very hard-pressed to find a solid reason not to take Gronk, with Kelce and Ertz not far behind.  Value-wise, though, I'd rather have one of the others in Rounds 3-4 than spend a 2nd round pick on Gronk.