[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trey Burton

michaelredd9

Burton had 23 catches, 248 yards, and 5 touchdowns while only playing 26% of snaps.  There are a lot of targets available in Chicago.  Another name to add to the list of tight ends who I might draft in the 16th round but cut after week 1 if they don't have a big first game.

Nagy confirms Burton will play the Kelce role

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/374873/nagy-confirms-burton-will-play-the-kelce-role?ls=roto:CHI:topheadlines

Coach Matt Nagy confirmed new TE Trey Burton will play the Travis Kelce role in the Bears' offense.

It's a receiver-tight end hybrid spot called the "U" in Nagy's offense. "It’s an important role," Nagy said. "It’s easy to create some plays for. And when you have a guy that has the size that Trey has and the speed that he has, it’s about mismatches." Burton (6'2/224) isn't nearly as big as Kelce (6'5/255), but they ran nearly identical forties coming out of college at 4.62 and 4.61, respectively. Burton might be the better athlete. Burton has big breakout potential.
Mar 28 - 9:28 AM

• Like 1

Yeah this is a perfect example of an "under the radar" type of player that will quickly appear on more and more radars as the summer approaches.  Still, he'll be a TE you can wait on.  Not sure if I'd want to solely rely on him going into the season.  Maybe pair him with a Witten type that you could lean on if he ends up disappearing.

No doubt that Burton becomes "everyone's sleeper". And it could happen.  He's hard to forecast based on past performances because he has such a non-traditional background. He was a high school QB and was recruited as such at Florida. He ended up playing QB, RB, WR and TE there but was a TE for the combine and NFL draft. He is just 6-2/224 and that makes him more like a WR. He was the lightest and shortest TE in the combine and draft that year.  His four years at Florida had him changing positions almost every year - QB, RB, RB and WR. So he was never officially a TE despite his current position.

He only caught 4 TDs and 107 passes over 4 years there.

He never did much in PHI but Zach Ertz is mostly why. He'll be a boom or bust guy I would think. Worth the risk. Be interesting to see by August where he is conventionally being valued in FF drafts.

He showed some flashes last year, but like DMD said he wasn't even the #1 TE on his team.  It's insane what he's being paid on that contract.  He'll be a good dart throw later, but theres no way I take him rounds 1-10.  Too much uncertainty, and it's the freaking Bears.

burton was on everyones radar(at least those who really follow football) even last year and before that....hes always been an intriguing prospect...he sort of followed the jordan reed path going to florida as a qb and then moving around.....i think burton actually played as a qb where reed never actually did at florida...but they both moved at the same time where reed went right to TE and burton kind of did the TE/H-back sort of thing....but i think there are alot of similarities

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

burton was on everyones radar(at least those who really follow football) even last year and before that....hes always been an intriguing prospect...he sort of followed the jordan reed path going to florida as a qb and then moving around.....i think burton actually played as a qb where reed never actually did at florida...but they both moved at the same time where reed went right to TE and burton kind of did the TE/H-back sort of thing....but i think there are alot of similarities

Yeah, Reed is only 6'2", 250ish.  Hopefully Burton won't follow the same injury path.

Don't the Eagles still have Brent Celek at TE?  He's not great, and getting older but can still contribute some (though its been a few years since he had more than 15 rec)

100 receptions may be a lot for Ertz, he's been at 75-80 the last 3 years, on about 110 targets.  At his career 67% catch rate he'd need 150 targets to get there. Total targets to all TEs last year was 165 with 555 total passes thrown.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Don't the Eagles still have Brent Celek at TE?  He's not great, and getting older but can still contribute some (though its been a few years since he had more than 15 rec)

He was cut last month.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This snippet gets me a little excited.  

Trey Burton dominates Bears 3rd preseason gm

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9737/trey-burton

Trey Burton caught 4-of-5 targets for 45 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' third preseason game Saturday night.
Burton got all of his production in barely over a quarter. Built more like a wide receiver than tight end, Burton projects to play a major role in Chicago's revamped passing game, where Mitchell Trubisky excelled targeting the middle of the field as a rookie. Burton will run roughly half of his routes in the slot. He looked like Trubisky's go-to guy in Saturday night's exhibition. Aug 19 - 12:06 AM

• Like 1

22 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

This snippet gets me a little excited.  

Trey Burton dominates Bears 3rd preseason gm

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9737/trey-burton

Trey Burton caught 4-of-5 targets for 45 yards and a touchdown in the Bears' third preseason game Saturday night.
Burton got all of his production in barely over a quarter. Built more like a wide receiver than tight end, Burton projects to play a major role in Chicago's revamped passing game, where Mitchell Trubisky excelled targeting the middle of the field as a rookie. Burton will run roughly half of his routes in the slot. He looked like Trubisky's go-to guy in Saturday night's exhibition. Aug 19 - 12:06 AM

I just hope he has a semi-quiet 3rd preseason game. I don't want his price tag soaring.

38 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

I just hope he has a semi-quiet 3rd preseason game. I don't want his price tag soaring.

This. I'm afraid his adp is going to rise big time.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

i grabbed burton last night....we also grabbed anthony miller...my co-partner is a lifelong bears fan....but i was also more than ok with nabbing these guys....were a non mando TE as they are mixed with receivers....but i still feel pretty good that potentially might have a kelce/ertz lite with less of a price tag.....trubisky funneling the ball to the middle of the field sounds good to me right now lol

1 hour ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

i grabbed burton last night....we also grabbed anthony miller...my co-partner is a lifelong bears fan....but i was also more than ok with nabbing these guys....were a non mando TE as they are mixed with receivers....but i still feel pretty good that potentially might have a kelce/ertz lite with less of a price tag.....trubisky funneling the ball to the middle of the field sounds good to me right now lol

What round?  He went 6.02 in our draft.  I was prepared to pull the trigger at 6.07 but had a good feeling he would go slightly sooner.  

There are 5 Bears fan in our league of 12 so it wasn't too surprising.

Edited by awahl63

2 minutes ago, awahl63 said:

What round?  He went 6.02 in our draft?  I was prepared to pull the trigger at 6.07 but had a good feeling he would go slightly sooner.  

There are 5 Bears fan in our league of 12 so it wasn't too surprising.

9th...which suprised me he was still there....but like i said....its a non mando TE so hes just a receiver....but still real good value IMO as guys like gronk, kelce, ertz went many rounds ahead of that....even engram, olsen, graham went a few rounds before

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

yes it is, particularly your homo-erotic stories. please share, in detail. thanks!

or, maybe purchase a sense of humor? I hear there's one on the waiver wire. You have a high WW slot, so go all-in! :D

i have a sense of humor...i just dont feel the need to go around a ff forum making jokes...i do enough of that bullmanure with friends and "co-workers" throughout the week....

• Sad 1

FWIW these are where the tight ends went in our 12 teamer

Round 2 - Gronk/Kelce

Round 3 - Ertz

Round 5 - Graham

Round 6 - Engram/Olsen/Burton

Round 7 - Walker (taken by one of our better owners no less)

Round 8 - Rudolph/Reed/Njoku/Doyle

We start two RBs, two WRs, TE and two flexes.  Kind of shocking to see this many tight ends drafted so early. I wanted Burton but was happy to end up with Rudolph in round 8.

Edited by awahl63

45 minutes ago, awahl63 said:

FWIW these are where the tight ends went in our 12 teamer

Round 2 - Gronk/Kelce

Round 3 - Ertz

Round 5 - Graham

Round 6 - Engram/Olsen/Burton

Round 7 - Walker (taken by one of our better owners no less)

Round 8 - Rudolph/Reed/Njoku/Doyle

We start two RBs, two WRs, and two flexes.  Kind of shocking to see this many tight ends drafted so early. I wanted Burton but was happy to end up with Rudolph in round 8.

Does your league have a requirement to roster a TE? That seems like a lot of TE where you're not required to start one.