[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lamar Jackson

michaelredd9

Too much upside.  Teams picking late in the 1st with need at QB will take a shot at him.  With the 5th year option on 1st rounders teams could look to deal back into the fist at the end of the round as well. 

I could see him slide a bit more but really depends on how he handles this between now and the draft

Few quarterbacks with Wonderlics of 13 or lower have ever amounted to anything.  4.3 speed would still make his upside intriguing.  Him not wanting to run the 40 makes me think his 40 time is 4.50+ seconds.  I don't see the upside in a cerebrally-challenged quarterback with good but not elite speed.  I don't see him having NFL potential at any other position without elite speed either.  If he is capable of running a sub 4.45 seconds 40 yard dash, he should demonstrate it before the draft.

I think him not running the 40 was more about him sticking with being a QB vs a WR.  Can't blame him really if that's what he wants to do, sort of Tebowish.  He definitely will get drafted in the 1st.  I'm guessing top 20, however, I don't think he's going to be a good NFL QB.  He looks like a runner first and a thrower second.  That never works in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, NAUgrad said:

I think him not running the 40 was more about him sticking with being a QB vs a WR.  Can't blame him really if that's what he wants to do, sort of Tebowish.  He definitely will get drafted in the 1st.  I'm guessing top 20, however, I don't think he's going to be a good NFL QB.  He looks like a runner first and a thrower second.  That never works in the NFL.

Who's a better thrower?  Him or Tyrod Taylor?  

I see some mad upside with Jackson but it will take a ton of seasoning and a lot of luck too.

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

You're right, but teams do plenty of crazy stuff.

the sports guys on local radio say that DEN needs a QB of the future so much so that if the top four QBs go 1-4, they suggest taking Lamar at #5.

Do the local pot dispensaries sponsor the radio show :D

7 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I see some mad upside with Jackson but it will take a ton of seasoning and a lot of luck too.

Puddy? ;)

I hope my team doesn't draft him.  The patience Lamar will need to develop just doesn't happen anymore and then these guys flop.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

I don't think Lamar Jackson would be the right guy to bring up under Rivers, and doubt he goes to the Chargers.  I could see them grabbing someone like Falk instead.

There is plenty of local chatter saying he would be a guy the Chargers could draft to learn under Rivers.  :shrug: 

Just now, darin3 said:

There is plenty of local chatter saying he would be a guy the Chargers could draft to learn under Rivers.  :shrug: 

Really? Not that I really care about the Chargers anymore, but I think that would be a wasted pick.

• Like 1

Really? Not that I really care about the Chargers anymore, but I think that would be a wasted pick.

As you probably realize, the Chargers are competing with the Rams - and a host of other teams that aren't even in the NFL - for eyeballs here in the LA area.  They need a "face of the franchise" type to fill seats.  Jackson's a Heisman winner that can make electric plays.  Rivers is obviously in the twilight of his career and would appear to be a guy that would be a good teacher in terms of how to chuck the rock, win despite having middling talent around him, etc.

I don't think it'd be a wasted pick.  It would be a gamble, sure, but at this point that's where the Bolts are at and may have to take the risk.

47 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Why are we comparing him to Tyrod Taylor?  I don't think he's that great of QB either.

15 minutes ago, darin3 said:

As you probably realize, the Chargers are competing with the Rams - and a host of other teams that aren't even in the NFL - for eyeballs here in the LA area.  They need a "face of the franchise" type to fill seats.  Jackson's a Heisman winner that can make electric plays.  Rivers is obviously in the twilight of his career and would appear to be a guy that would be a good teacher in terms of how to chuck the rock, win despite having middling talent around him, etc.

I don't think it'd be a wasted pick.  It would be a gamble, sure, but at this point that's where the Bolts are at and may have to take the risk.

Yeah, I understand the importance of having a face of a franchise, but let's be honest here.. the Chargers will never have a big market in LA.  And i'd say it's more important about what's between the ears for QB than athleticism.  A winning franchise will always be more valuable to the fanbase, and I don't think Jackson can be that guy tbh.

• Like 1

Just now, LordOpie said:

dan marino scored a 13 and jim kelley a 14. We all agree that those two are in the top 10 of all time, yeah?

Dan Marino, Pittsburgh 16

^ right from the article i just linked

And i'd say those are examples of outliers, far from the trend if you read the article i posted.  And Kelly lost 4 superbowls cause of that brain obv.

• Haha 1

Just now, LordOpie said:

i don't like that article at all.

choosing " Super Bowl winning quarterbacks currently playing in the NFL have posted an average Wonderlic score of 30.7 " is a very disingenuous category. If you want to choose a category, how about being an all-pro? maybe probowl. certainly HoF. There are too many variables with winning the superbowl

Yeah, that's a cherry picked point.  But there is certainly a correlation between successful QB's, and well above 13 wonderlics.

7 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Someone wanna list the QB busts that had high Wonderlics?

Besides the point.  You can name far more successful QB's who had 25+ wonderlic, then lower than 25.

These guys pretty much own every Superbowl for the past 15 years:

Eli Manning 39

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Drew Brees 28

Russell Wilson 28

Peyton Manning, Tennessee 28

Joe Flacco 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

i don't think it is. I think it goes to whether the wonderlic is actually relevant. If you have plenty of high score failures and plenty of low score success, then it strongly suggests no correlation.

So name a successful QB in the last 15 years that has under a 25 wonderlic?

So name a successful QB in the last 15 years that has under a 25 wonderlic?

Only name I saw was Newton and he's still above 20 on BJ's list.  Favre possibly too but again still 20 above. 

Playbooks have become a bit more complex passing wise in the past 20 years.  Would be logical that critical thinking would attribute to success at the position.