[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lamar Jackson

michaelredd9

Just now, LordOpie said:

i like how you limit it to the last 15 years :D cherry picker!

Don't want to include terry bradshaw's four SBs with a score of 16? :D

I'm not going to crunch the data, but I'd like to see all QBs that have had at least three all-pro seasons compared to their wonderlic score.

I'm not saying it is irrelevant, I'm saying that one of the info so far creates a legit correlation

You could take it back further than 15 years and it would probably still solidify my point.  And i'm pretty sure I could have won 4 superbowls with that defense!!  Bradshaw was gritty and a gamer, but i wouldn't put him close to the top QB's of all time despite his merits, sorry.  Nor would I put Jim Plunkett and his 2 SB's.  We can do that, but do you really think using the all-pro seasons as the parameter would help prove to your point, more than mine?  I'll check it out later, but I don't think it will :p 

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

you can't exclude a SB QB because he doesn't fit your data. That's the problem with using SB in the first place.

isn't All-Pro the best variable? Those guys are chosen by other players, yeah?

To be clear, I don't have a point, other than this data was cherry picked for a reason. I'm certain that being smarter is better than not. I'm just not sure the wonderlic is relevant or valid? I do know that article was weak.

at best, wonderlic is just one of MANY pieces of data a team should use. They make OL run the 40, is that relevant?

Of course, it's certainly a combination of factors.  If you had to choose, what would you argue is the most valuable trait a QB can possess?  I'd say it's intelligence/football acumen.  There are obviously the Fitzpatrick's and the Roethlisbergers, but I still would say it's better to have a mix of strong intelligence and some physical talent, than the other way around.  I'm down to use the AP measure instead of the SB measure when I have time.

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

do they give leadership and personality tests? Isn't being able to lead and inspire your team just as important as being smart?

Not sure, that probably just is derived from team and coach interviews.  Still have to chalk that up to iq.

There is a lot more to being a quarterback than just being smart.  So obviously some quarterbacks with high Wonderlics are going to flop.  But the question isn't whether a smart quarterback can fail but instead whether a dumb quarterback can succeed.  My guess is that being slow-minded would prevent a quarterback from being elite.  I wouldn't use a first round pick on a quarterback who doesn't have the potential to be elite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

There is a lot more to being a quarterback than just being smart.  So obviously some quarterbacks with high Wonderlics are going to flop.  But the question isn't whether a smart quarterback can fail but instead whether a dumb quarterback can succeed.  My guess is that being slow-minded would prevent a quarterback from being elite.  I wouldn't use a first round pick on a quarterback who doesn't have the potential to be elite.

+1

• Like 1

I just looked at a bunch of Wonderlic sample questions.  They're not that easy of questions.  A lot of two-step algebra problems and logic problems.  13 isn't that bad of a score if he didn't study at all.  But they're pretty easy to learn for even a bad student if they study for it. Here are some sample questions from Wikipedia:

• If a piece of rope cost 20 cents per 2 feet, how many feet can you buy for 30 dollars?
  • Which of the numbers in this group represents the smallest amount? a) 0.3  0.08 c) 1 d) 0.33
  • A high-speed train travels 25 feet in 1/3 second. In 4 seconds, the train will have traveled __?__ feet.
  • A clock lost 2 minutes and 36 seconds in 78 days. How many seconds did it lose per day?
  •  
Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kdko said:

"‪Former Jets’ and Giants’ QB Geno Smith reached agreement with the Los Angeles Chargers, per source.‬" -Schefter

I think we can close the book on Lamar Jackson going to LA now..?

Why?  It's a one-year deal. Lamar Jackson wouldn't be ready to be the #2 this year anyways.

19 hours ago, LordOpie said:

My son and i can answer those questions, but I'm not sure my wife could. They're harder than then they appear

Any High School graduate should be able to answer those. I know women have more trouble with word problems than men, remember tutuoring a girl in algebra in Junior High and she couldn't get it, but if I could giver her the equation she solved them easily.

19 hours ago, LordOpie said:

My son and i can answer those questions, but I'm not sure my wife could. They're harder than then they appear

Any High School graduate should be able to answer those. I know women have more trouble with word problems than men, remember tutuoring a girl in algebra in Junior High and she couldn't get it, but if I could giver her the equation she solved them easily.