[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dez Bryant

darin3

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones says there's no timeline for a contract discussion with Dez Bryant.
"When we get ready on a decision with Dez, we’ll make it," Jones said. Most signs have pointed toward Dez getting released, but the Cowboys are being curiously slow paced with the decision. Perhaps they are holding out hope Bryant will grow amenable to a pay cut. Mar 29 - 5:17 PM

Dude there's no way the Cowboys cut Bryant, right?  How do they go into 2018, a year where they should be a contender, with no #1 wideout.  Yeah Bryant has some shortcomings as a true #1 but releasing him would be suicidal for the team.  Unless they're secretly after OBJ?  :lol:   No way they rely on a rookie, even if it's Ridley.  
  • Confused 1

Bryant won't take a pay cut so far and he is not worth $16M in any way. He's no difference maker and at best is a WR2 for the Cowboys who lack a WR1. DAL will take an early WR and likely in the first round.

The

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

I'm guessing that $16mil is his cap hit? I think his salary is $12.5mil? Would a team trade a late pick for him and that salary?

They wouldn't. DAL would have to cut him and allow Bryant to go sign a new contract with a new team. I think I saw he carried a $16M hit to the cap but they could save $12.5M by cutting him before June 1.

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Spotrac.com is a great site for contrat info if you want to check his.  Surprised to hear so many say he is not a WR1, how many WR1 are in the NFL, 10, 15?

I count 19 wo/Dez...of course very subjective. 

4 hours ago, DMD said:

Bryant won't take a pay cut so far and he is not worth $16M in any way. He's no difference maker and at best is a WR2 for the Cowboys who lack a WR1. DAL will take an early WR and likely in the first round.

Man talk about a fall from grace.  Don't recall a time in a redraft where I've ever owned him nor have I had him on any of my dynasty teams.  Maybe I'm missing something but always thought he was one of the more talented WRs out there.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

Think the Cowboys go after Ridley?  I saw you mentioned Sutton as a possibility.

• Confused 1

Ridley is a very strong possibility. If he is there, I think DAL takes him and cuts Dez before June 1. This is not a great WR draft so Ridley may fall. But Bryant got a $70M contract in July of 2015. He was coming off three straight 1200+ yard seasons. He was a stud. But he was limited to only 9 games in 2016, 13 games in 2017 and his 16 games in 2017 were only 69-838-6. He had a career-worst 12.1 YPC. It's hard not to wonder if once he signed that monster second contract, if he had the same dedication. He certainly has not had the health and some say his lower body issues (feet and leg) have robbed him of some of his speed and quickness. Bryant hasn't even had a 100-yard game since 2016.  Among 2017 WR, He ranked 16th in catches and 26th in yardage. Devin Funchess and Kenny Stills had better years.

I bet Dallas drafts a very high WR and probably a second one by round 4.

He's a soon to be 30 year old malcontent on a decline with a 16 mill cap hit.  The plausible scenarios for a trade would either involve salary dump for salary dump or Dallas substantially sweetening a package deal to make the cap hit bearable. Most likely he's cut and signs a 1 or maybe 2 year guaranteed deal.

• Like 1

I'd only draft him as a WR3 with WR2 upside, I think it's that bad.  There's not too many teams he could land on where I'd even consider him the WR1 TBH.  He's a black hole personality wise, and it'd be interesting to see how he fits in another locker room outside of Dallas.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:44 PM, kdko said:

I'd only draft him as a WR3 with WR2 upside, I think it's that bad.  There's not too many teams he could land on where I'd even consider him the WR1 TBH.  He's a black hole personality wise, and it'd be interesting to see how he fits in another locker room outside of Dallas.

Exactly.  Can we call him a waste of talent?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/2/2018 at 12:38 PM, kdko said:

Completely, I think the Cowboys org. let his ego run wild and facilitated a lot of his behavior.  

It is very hard to argue with this. Once Romo left things production-wise went straight off a cliff.

55 minutes ago, stethant said:

It is very hard to argue with this. Once Romo left things production-wise went straight off a cliff.

One glaring number difference for Dez, career catch% is about 58.5, the last 3 years were all down 43-52-52, even more down when compared to his first 5 years (61-61-66-58-67).  Romo's last good season was 2014, since then Bryant has fallen off, and has also missed lots of games (10 over first 2 years).

23 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

One glaring number difference for Dez, career catch% is about 58.5, the last 3 years were all down 43-52-52, even more down when compared to his first 5 years (61-61-66-58-67).  Romo's last good season was 2014, since then Bryant has fallen off, and has also missed lots of games (10 over first 2 years).

Interesting tidbit.  Guess his production is/was really tied to good ol' Romo.

The Cowboys are still loaded on both sides of the ball.  I'm interested to see what they do WR-wise.  Draft?  OBJ?  I still think Hurns will be a value this coming season.

• Confused 1

Dez Bryant - WR - Dallas Cowboys

Posted 4/6/18 9:13am ET 

Dallas Cowboys WR Dez Bryant isn't working hard enough to 'retool' his game to make up for the loss of his physical skills in the eyes of some of his coaches, according to the MMQB's Albert Breer.

Huddle Up: These same coaches reportedly believe Bryant's overwhelming talent started to slip back in 2015. His numbers over the last three seasons back that assessment up, although injuries have played a role to be sure. At least one prominent NFL insider reporter declared Bryant will be released this offseason - most likely after the draft - so this story is far from over. What seems to be clear is Bryant's days of being a fantasy WR1 are most likely over.

Yeah, this is what we've been talkin about... what a waste.  :( 

• Confused 1

His lack of production is tied to Dak IMO. Romo spread the field and threw deep. Dink and Dak cant complete a pass greater than 10 yards. Give dez a guy like brees and he will be a no doubt tier 1 wr

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, whomper said:

His lack of production is tied to Dak IMO. Romo spread the field and threw deep. Dink and Dak cant complete a pass greater than 10 yards. Give dez a guy like brees and he will be a no doubt tier 1 wr

Dink and Dak :lol:

It's true!  https://thelandryhat.com/2018/02/07/dak-prescott-laughably-defeated-in-an-accuracy-competition/