[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

sorry, not enough interest for a board mock this year. :(

Dcat

I ran one last year.  Had about 8-9 ppl really into it. Maybe there's more interest this year.

Let me know if we want to do another.  I can set up the spread sheet again.

We'd need 16 GMs (each selecting a pair of NFL teams).

If not enough interest, no biggie.  

So, we need 16 participants.  I'll keep a list running below:

1. dcat - Jets +1

2. darin3 - Bears +1

3. satelliteoflovegm - Bills +1

4. Wpob - Giants +1

5. BeeR - Colts +1

6. Flemingd - Browns, Raiders

7. Big John - Packers +1

8. CowboysDiehard - Cowboys, Cardinals

9. Montana is da Man - 49ers + 1

Edited by Dcat

5 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I'd take the Bears and any orphan team.  Would take one of my local teams (Rams/Chargers) but I figure those should be covered.

well that's 2 people interested.  If we can hit 16, then I'll set it up.

I'll take the Giants plus will fill in for other teams where needed. 

Edited by Wpob

1 minute ago, BeeR said:

PS sure you want to try 3, 4 rounds?  I don't have a clue of anyone much past the 2d and if I recall drafts take awhile here.  Like we should be starting about oh now lol

Yeah 3-4 rounds is gonna be tough.  2 rounds will be plenty especially with the timeframe we're looking at now.... and with the turnout so far... :unsure: 

4 hours ago, BeeR said:

PS sure you want to try 3, 4 rounds?  I don't have a clue of anyone much past the 2d and if I recall drafts take awhile here.  Like we should be starting about oh now lol

was thinking 3 rounds (equivalent of first 2 days of draft.  some teams don't even pick until rd 3. 

We should be able to get 3 rds done in 7-10 days.  Just got to get about a dozen picks every day.  

4 hours ago, darin3 said:

Yeah 3-4 rounds is gonna be tough.  2 rounds will be plenty especially with the timeframe we're looking at now.... and with the turnout so far... :unsure: 

if we dont get enough sign ups, then we won't bother.  If you do 3 rds, it gives every team a chance ot draft. Some teams don't draft until rd 3.

22 minutes ago, kdko said:

Not sure how to play, but I'd be down.

Pick a team to draft for.  When your team is up, you make the pick.  I was gonna take the Colts but BeeR will probably screw it up less than I would

53 minutes ago, Shorttynaz said:

Pick a team to draft for.  When your team is up, you make the pick.  I was gonna take the Colts but BeeR will probably screw it up less than I would

And you try your best to mirror who that team will actually pick in the real draft?

8 hours ago, kdko said:

And you try your best to mirror who that team will actually pick in the real draft?

No, no, no.  Not at all.  You are the GM.  Make whatever pick you think would be the best.  For example, suppose I am GM for the Jets (no snide remarks please).  And I believe strongly that the Jets GM (Mike Maccagnan) really likes Josh Allen and will probably pick him at #3 if both Allen and Mayfield are there,  but I feel that Allen has the most bust potential of the leading QB prospects...  I'll pick Mayfield even though I believe Maccagnan prefers the inaccurate Allen.

8 hours ago, satelliteoflovegm said:

I also was hoping 2 rounds would be cool

right now, I'm just hoping we get enough to participate.  It's not looking good.  Not going to do it without 16 participants.  I'll give it to the weekend or we'll just pass on this for 2018.  It seems this site has far less traffic than it used to.  What happened to Thehuddle anyway?

If you are interested, I can give you a link to the another one (full mock) that you can follow.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

No, no, no.  Not at all.  You are the GM.  Make whatever pick you think would be the best.  For example, suppose I am GM for the Jets (no snide remarks please).  And I believe strongly that the Jets GM (Mike Maccagnan) really likes Josh Allen and will probably pick him at #3 if both Allen and Mayfield are there,  but I feel that Allen has the most bust potential of the leading QB prospects...  I'll pick Mayfield even though I believe Maccagnan prefers the inaccurate Allen.

So what's the purpose of the mock draft then, allow people to play GM? Not actually see where players are LIKELY to be taken?

I could take the Browns, take a good guy (but unlikely #1 pick) like Ward, totally throws off the draft, no?

I'm not participating, just a not so silent observer ;)

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

So what's the purpose of the mock draft then, allow people to play GM? Not actually see where players are LIKELY to be taken?

I could take the Browns, take a good guy (but unlikely #1 pick) like Ward, totally throws off the draft, no?

The purpose is to play the role as GM.  You.  Not to imitate what the actual GM would do (unless you think it's good).  The idea is to have fun, make the draft for your team as good as it can be.  We are not giving "points" for being correct and matching on draft day.  Some sites do that. IMO, it's ridiculous.  I do this to learn more about the players and each team's needs. When I represent a team I research its needs, which players are at or near the end of their contracts and who are the best remaining players for those positions as the draft proceeds.  If I wanted to earn a cookie for hitting on the same player as actually picked, I wouldn't bother.

For example, I am a Jets fan.  I don't think highly of my GM.  He's mediocre and cowardly, IMO.  I think Allen has the biggest bust potential of the top QB's but I have no doubt that Maccagnan is enamored with his size and howitzer arm.  Too bad the guy can't hit a 10 yard out pattern accurately.  I wouldn't pick Allen at pick 3, but I think Maccagnan will.  If I represent the Jets in the mock, then I'm NOT going Allen at 3.  If Rosen is there (or Darnold) that's my pick.  If not, I go Mayfield since the idiot GM traded away both of this year's 2nd round picks, I can't even get one of the 2nd tier QBs.    

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind double or even tripling up on picking for teams but at this point I very seriously doubt you'll get even 16.  If shorty wants the Colts I can defer to another team just to get it going, but I doubt it'll matter.   And really there's no way you're going to get more than 2 rounds done.

A lot of the original crew has been ran outta here or turned away due to too many changes with the coorporate takeover of The Huddle and all.  Not to mention all the newbie tools that have taken over these forums.  Pair that with the offseason, yeah - this place is a shadow of what it once was.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:51 AM, stevegrab said:

We've been doing this for years, man. Snap out of your coma. 

• Haha 1