[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandin Cooks traded to the Rams

Shorttynaz

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

So who is left at WR in NE?  Hogan  Or did they sign somebody?  Maybe they'll go after OBJ ;)

Still have Edelman, and this might mean Malcolm Mitchell is ready to step up.  There's already been stirrings that NE has been trying to court a few different WR's in the draft.

5 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I think Edelman went on IR before week one last year, so he's had plenty of rest. I think they have two failed first round picks (britt and patterson) that maybe they're hoping will step up?

Yep must be why I forgot about him, and when I quickly looked at 2017 receiving stats nobody stood out.

• Thanks 1

Pats are without their top 2 WR from last year. Either they are not done trading or they think Edelman is going to stay healthy and have a career year.

Let’s be real.... If we are talking talent alone, OBJ is probably a top-3 WR, while Cooks isn’t sniffing the top 15.  Stop with the nonsense that they’re anywhere close in talent.  I like Cooks, but let’s face it..... He’s “just a guy” if not for him having Brees/Brady throwing to him for his entire NFL career.  

If the Pats didn’t feel comfortable with the idea that he’s easily replaceable, they wouldn’t have traded him.  I’m guessing they feel that they easily got the better end of this deal, and they’re probably going to be right.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Let’s be real.... If we are talking talent alone, OBJ is probably a top-3 WR, while Cooks isn’t sniffing the top 15.  Stop with the nonsense that they’re anywhere close in talent.  I like Cooks, but let’s face it..... He’s “just a guy” if not for him having Brees/Brady throwing to him for his entire NFL career.  

If the Pats didn’t feel comfortable with the idea that he’s easily replaceable, they wouldn’t have traded him.  I’m guessing they feel that they easily got the better end of this deal, and they’re probably going to be right.

Why do you think they're nowhere close in talent...?   

Talent wise - Coming out of college, they have basically the same build, Cooks had the edge at the combine, as well as the Biletnikoff award.  Ultimately they were drafted around the same time (Cooks 20, OBJ 12), both being 1st round WR talent.  Before entering the NFL, and being evaluated on their talent and merit, they were basically on par with each other.

Performance Wise - Cooks has played 11 more career NFL games than OBJ, but has only started 2 more.  OBJ has 500 more yards than Cooks, as well as 30 more receptions, and they both have the exact same YPR at 14.1.  If you gave Cooks those 30 more receptions they'd both be sitting with the exact same yardage. OBJ has a far better TD total with 11 more.  You want to blame Cooks for being paired Brees/Brady's when that's obviously not his fault or a detractor when we have nothing else to go by.  To be fair, you should also say that OBJ has been forcefed targets his entire career by Eli.  Playing for Brees/Brady also means you're one of many mouths that are getting fed.  That's partly why Cooks cried to get out of Nawlins, even though he landed in a similar type offense ironically.  

I'm not disagreeing with you that OBJ is better, I agree with you on that.  I disagree that they're nowhere close in talent though, and that Cooks isn't sniffing top 15.  C'mon.  You better not have Amari effing Cooper on that list.  I think they are actually as close stat wise and in natural talent than any other 2 receivers, and match up damn near identically.  

Edited by kdko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

Why do you think they're nowhere close in talent...?   

Talent wise - Coming out of college, they have basically the same build, Cooks had the edge at the combine, as well as the Biletnikoff award.  Ultimately they were drafted around the same time (Cooks 20, OBJ 12), both being 1st round WR talent.  Before entering the NFL, and being evaluated on their talent and merit, they were basically on par with each other.

Performance Wise - Cooks has played 11 more career NFL games than OBJ, but has only started 2 more.  OBJ has 500 more yards than Cooks, as well as 30 more receptions, and they both have the exact same YPR at 14.1.  If you gave Cooks those 30 more receptions they'd both be sitting with the exact same yardage. OBJ has a far better TD total with 11 more.  You want to blame Cooks for being paired Brees/Brady's when that's obviously not his fault or a detractor when we have nothing else to go by.  To be fair, you should also say that OBJ has been forcefed targets his entire career by Eli.  Playing for Brees/Brady also means you're one of many mouths that are getting fed.  That's partly why Cooks cried to get out of Nawlins, even though he landed in a similar type offense ironically.  

I'm not disagreeing with you that OBJ is better, I agree with you on that.  I disagree that they're nowhere close in talent though, and that Cooks isn't sniffing top 15.  C'mon.  You better not have Amari effing Cooper on that list.  I think they are actually as close stat wise and in natural talent than any other 2 receivers, and match up damn near identically.  

I guess eye test?  Beckham does things that literally nobody else does.  I’m not a Cooks hater, or anything close.  I just think his QB’s have made him what he is, to some extent.  In other words, I think they even made him appear to be a WR1 (NFL, not FF), when the reality is that he’s a better than average WR2.  The Pats figured that out, and decided to move him before everybody else does.

Cooks doesn’t stand out as being spectacular to me in any way.  OBJ makes plays almost every week that nobody else makes.  Granted, OBJ is a time bomb waiting to explode (possibly).  But, if he keeps his head on straight, he’s a HOF WR without question.  

15 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I guess eye test?  Beckham does things that literally nobody else does.  I’m not a Cooks hater, or anything close.  I just think his QB’s have made him what he is, to some extent.  In other words, I think they even made him appear to be a WR1 (NFL, not FF), when the reality is that he’s a better than average WR2.  The Pats figured that out, and decided to move him before everybody else does.

Cooks doesn’t stand out as being spectacular to me in any way.  OBJ makes plays almost every week that nobody else makes.  Granted, OBJ is a time bomb waiting to explode (possibly).  But, if he keeps his head on straight, he’s a HOF WR without question.  

OBJ definitely jumps off the screen more.  I was actually surprised to see how similar their career numbers are since OBJ has been setting records.  I was trying to find their drop rates too, but couldn't find those numbers.  Brady, Brees.. 2 of the all time greats.  You're not a Cooks hater, yet I am an Eli hater, but i'll be the first to admit he's no slouch.  At least he can hit his slot receiver, and like I said.. OBJ's been spoonfed those targets and gets more opportunities in the open field to be flashy and show off his game.  Cooks makes his living burning the teams #1 corner on the outside, or slashing the middle.  I'm not a Cooks nuthugger, but watching his highlights he made a lot of great plays on the ball and was the one making it easy to throw to.

Edited by kdko
  • Thanks 1