[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears shopping Jordan Howard?

darin3

Howard's current Rotoworld profile says:

Bears GM Ryan Pace expects Jordan Howard to improve in the passing game.

Howard has struggled as a receiver since entering the league, which could be a problem in new coach Matt Nagy's offense. Pace said Howard has made "progress" in the passing game, however, and they expect him to get even better. Howard has 12 drops on 82 targets since entering the league. 

Mar 29 - 10:48 AM

That last sentence is very damning, and Nagy's offense is predicated on the pass and the RB must be able to catch the ball.

A quick Google search of "Jordan Howard trade" nets some pretty interesting results.  Apparently Howard has removed all references to Da Bears from his Instagram account.  

There is smoke here, waiting for the fire.

Shout out to millworkguy for prompting me to investigate here.  

Apparently there were talks between MIA and CHI involving Landry. 

NBC Sports Chicago's John Mullin reports the Bears and Dolphins "have had conversations" about a trade involving Jordan Howard and Jarvis Landry.

According to Mullin, the discussed deal would send Howard and the No. 8 pick to Miami in exchange for Landry, the No. 11 pick, and a third-round selection. Howard has been the engine of the offense since the Bears selected him in the fifth round of the 2016 draft, gaining 2,858 yards from scrimmage in two seasons. Mullin reports new coach Matt Nagy has concerns about Howard's fit in his offense, however, specifically in the passing game. Pro Football Focus has charted Howard with 14 drops in just two seasons. 

Mar 3 - 2:26 PM

Landry going to CLE may have made things die down a little bit but I would surmise he is still being shopped for the right deal.  

So they will draft a RB early, right? Tarik Cohen can't carry the load.  Cohen is the pass catcher anyway.  Lets see which of Guice, Jones, Michel, Johnson or Chubb they take. Maybe even Penney.  If one of them is drafted then maybe they deal Howard.  I can see Sony as a Bear.

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

So they will draft a RB early, right? Tarik Cohen can't carry the load.  Cohen is the pass catcher anyway.  Lets see which of Guice, Jones, Michel, Johnson or Chubb they take. Maybe even Penney.  If one of them is drafted then maybe they deal Howard.  I can see Sony as a Bear.

I'm not sure what they'd do.  Cohen is definitely not a 3-downer.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't just keep Howard.  His pass-catching was improving and it seems to be one of the skills that is most easily worked on as you continue to work as a pro.  They'd need to burn a pretty high pick to get one of the more elite RBs.  This is a deep RB draft but all of those guys will be gone by the time I'd be comfortable with the Bears replacing Howard should he be dealt.  Unless they can turn him into a pick that would net one of these guys.

Anyways, not sure what I think about this as a Bears fan.  Kinda irks me since Howard has looked pretty darn good.

I like Howard a lot, seems like a silly move for the Bears. As D3 mentions, he was getting better at catching, he's certainly not awful at it.  They got such a bargain on Howard... those are the types of players you keep... they 'won' on that draft pick, why trade him to then have to 'guess' who will be good and waste a higher draft pick?  Sometimes these GMs just try to outsmart themselves.  When your 5th round pick becomes a top 5 at his position, you KEEP THAT GUY!!  Cohen can be the receiving back. 

Howard had 14 drops in the last 2 seasons on only 82 targets.  That has to be the worst drop rate in the NFL by a wide margin.  No offensive coordinator who wants to throw to his running back is going to want Howard as his running back.  With his quick release, Trubisky should be throwing to his running back a lot.

34 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Howard had 14 drops in the last 2 seasons on only 82 targets.  That has to be the worst drop rate in the NFL by a wide margin.  No offensive coordinator who wants to throw to his running back is going to want Howard as his running back.  With his quick release, Trubisky should be throwing to his running back a lot.

Curious, where are you getting drop stats from? I've looked and had little sucess, I use Pro Football Reference for most stats, but they don't include drops, I suspect because it isn't an official NFL stat.

Just now, stevegrab said:

Curious, where are you getting drop stats from? I've looked and had little sucess, I use Pro Football Reference for most stats, but they don't include drops, I suspect because it isn't an official NFL stat.

Rotoworld quoted Pro Football Focus as giving him 14 drops over the last 2 seasons.  But every source is different since it's not an official stat.

10 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Rotoworld quoted Pro Football Focus as giving him 14 drops over the last 2 seasons.  But every source is different since it's not an official stat.

Gotcha, PFF does have some stats on their site, but appared to only be with their premium subscription.

15 minutes ago, BeeR said:
  1. Well God knows the Colts won't make a play, despite a horrific need at RB.  "Costs too much!  We have to save this $50-60M we still have laying around in cap money for, uh, for........other stuff!"  :rolleyes:

No one wants to play for Jim Irsay's hondashow.  Poorly run teams don't do well at the start of free agency.  But the best bargains in free agency come later.  And players are more accepting of going to non-ideal teams later in free agency.  The Colts have a lot of holes.  A lot of good players are still available in free agency.  The Colts will sign more starting-caliber players before training camp.  And Saquon Barkley has at least a 50% chance of being available at the 6th pick in the draft (it only takes 4 quarterbacks and 1 other player picked ahead of him).  Saquon is the perfect fit for Andrew Luck and for the Colts.  If I were the Colts, I'd wait for the draft to be done before I went making a Carlos Hyde-esque move.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like he's staying but this could be a shared situation that really takes a chunk out of Howard's value.

Bears coach Matt Nagy confirmed that Jordan Howard will be the team's "featured" back.

He'll lead the backfield, though Nagy said the team plans to use "multiple backs." Howard has averaged an impressive 4.6 yards per carry since arriving as a fifth-round draft pick in 2016, though he's been a sub-par receiver with 14 drops during that span. The 23-year-old won't lack for touches, though we suspect Tarik Cohen will see plenty of work on passing downs this season.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter