[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cameron Meredith signs offer sheet with the Saints

michaelredd9

Saints sign Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/375033/saints-sign-cameron-meredith-to-offer-sheet?ls=roto:CHI:topheadlines

Saints signed restricted free agent WR Cameron Meredith to a two-year, $9.6 million offer sheet.

The deal includes $5.4 million in guaranteed money. The Bears will now have five days to match the offer or risk losing him. Meredith enjoyed a breakout year with a team-high 888 yards in 2016 before losing all of last season to a torn ACL. The 25-year-old has a connection to Saints WRs coach Curtis Johnson, who previously coached Meredith in Chicago. Meredith would have mouthwatering fantasy appeal with future Hall of Famer Drew Brees throwing to him in New Orleans, though the Bears have plenty of cap room and should be interested in keeping him as a complement to Allen Robinson.
Apr 6 - 2:39 PM
Edited by michaelredd9

The beauty in this deal is it doesn't cost the Saints a whole lot to find out if he can be the player everyone saw before the injury. And if he is then he's a steal at that price and a great compliment to the Saints offense. I don't know about Meredith honestly, but I really like this deal for the Saints.

Pace and the Bears should of tendered him as a 2nd rounder which would of been cheaper then this deal, but I think they gambled because they were planning to bring in wideouts via free agency and will most likely draft one as well.  Not sure how much would of saw of him this year anyways.  Liked him 2 years ago, but there was really nothing else there on the team (19 players on IR) so was it a matter of talent or abundant opportunity? 

Edited by Def.
bad grammar

I think this was very intentional by the Bears.  That was a gruesome injury when he had it, there was talk of it being career-threatening.  I think they were willing to risk it for the minimum, but if anyone else wanted to roll the dice harder they were just as happy not to take the risk at all.  They know better than anyone else the state that knee was in 8 months ago.

8 minutes ago, flemingd said:

I think this was very intentional by the Bears.  That was a gruesome injury when he had it, there was talk of it being career-threatening.  I think they were willing to risk it for the minimum, but if anyone else wanted to roll the dice harder they were just as happy not to take the risk at all.  They know better than anyone else the state that knee was in 8 months ago.

This.

He looked good two years go, but I have to wonder what they know about his knee that we don't know.

Being a 6'3" slot receiver with a little bit of speed, Cameron Meredith is Marques Colston-esque.  It's hard to not get a little bit excited about his potential on the Saints.  Hopefully, he plays in 2 receiver sets some of the time.  The Saints used a lot of 2 receiver sets last year.  Although, it was maybe because they didn't have 3 good receivers to play.  Unfortunately for Meredith, Ted Ginn's deep threat is probably a more valuable asset with only 2 receivers on the field.