[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns fans: Read this long rumor!

Dcat

This was posted at Brownsboard.com.  I don't have anything to say one way or another about it's authenticity etc...it's a guy who knows a guy...take it for what it's worth....some of this seems plausible considering that Darnold is suddenly meeting with the Jets and Bills now....so there is that....I am not posting this to back up my opinion....I think Darnold is going 1 overall to the Browns.  Posting for entertainment and speculation value only.  Take it for what it's worth.

This stirred up reddit a little while ago when a poster imported it from the Browns' section of another forum, Football's Future.

Personally I found the reported takes to be plausible, if not credible, in no small part due to confirmation bias, if nothing else.

However, regardless of the credibility you give it, you might find the described recon approach teams take to be as fascinating an account of corporate espionage as I did.

Below is the OP from the original site with later edits of the reddit back and forth removed.

Here's the link to the thread: https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/7725-the-coaches-want-rosen-at-1-other-serious-browns-draft-rumblings/

===============================================================================================================================================

**LONG POST ALERT***

I have some terrible news to inform everyone.

It looks like we really will be passing on Darnold....

THIS IS NOT SOME STUPID TROLL, or me doing the reverse psychology thing saying Baker's going first while secretly feeling giddy and knowing we're taking Darnold at 1 as a way to cope with the possibility the Browns might screw this up.

(Skip to The News below if u must)

As I've said before, my brother in law was a scout & personnel assistant exec for 11 years. I never ID'd his team when he was employed but he was canned in the mass firings when Mr. Reese and co. were fired from the Giants.

Although I'm often wrong about my own predictions, my b.o i. always cautioned me that what he'd tell me in terms of rumors has a chance of being misinformation put out by other teams to hide their true intentions. However, the vast majority of things he told me that I posted on this forum came true.

For example, for those people that actually paid attention to my posts on the old forum before last year's draft, you'd remember that based on what my b.o.i. heard at the combine I posted "the Bears will look to trade up for Trubisky with either the Browns at 1 or San Fran at 2." At the time, only 3 people responded to that post.

I also posted that "Sashi Brown was seen twice via my b.o.i.'s team spycraft department, 1st with Rick Smith of the Texans, and 2nd with Ryan Pace of the Bears at a private membership only room at a Wine & Cigar lounge in Indy" and... "Dont be surprised if we trade one of our picks to the Bears or Texans." That post received 2 responses and came true regarding the draft.

Teams have 10s and even 100s of thousands of dollar budget for their "spycraft" depts that includes things you wouldnt even believe all in order to propel the interests of their million dollar cash cows.

One of the more basic ways for teams to get inside info is to recruit disgruntled "soon to be fired" scouts and personnel staffers away from another team while they are still employed and possibly privy to strategic information. ALL teams try to do this. The best and smartest teams top execs leave scouts & even key personnel staffers in the dark on real rankings and strategy for fear of info leaking out. The elite top execs only inform the owner & a select few before the draft. Smart top execs run disinformation campaigns and put up false rankings in plain view of scouts and staffers so the disinfo will leak to teams giving them an advantage to operate under the veil of confusion.

The News: My b.o.i. told me this morning "the scuttlebut is that 6 Browns scouts & 1 personnel exec have been "respectably" flipped (i.e., they already agreed to move on to a team without breaching the trust of their former employee) due to being promised future jobs & due to being disgruntled"...However, 2 scouts and 1 personnel exec has been "unhonorably flipped" (i.e., informing on the teams draft beliefs while still employed to another team) with 1 person in particular "lacking any sort of ethics and is singing like canary so much that the team he's giving the info to is secretly laughing their a**es off b/c they know there's no way in hell they're hiring this guy after all this."

Apparently, there is already a major rift between the offensive coaches & the top personnel execs regarding the pick at 1 and ranking the QBs. It's likely irreconcilable.

In what was a shocker to me as a "Darnold no matter" what guy Todd Haley, Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson, and Al Saunders (he's become a de facto QB scout) are united in the belief that Josh Rosen is their guy, clear cut by a wide margin. The combine interview only confirmed this and they are all in. They all agree that Sam Darnold is their number 2, but there are some disagreements between the coaches on who is 3rd as some say Baker Mayfield while others surprisingly say Lamar Jackson. All the coaches apparently have Josh Allen 5th which completely surprised me.

The only personnel execs that mostly agree with the coaches are Eliot Wolf & Andrew Berry with Wolf having Darnold as QB1 and AB having had Darnold at 1 precombine but put Rosen ahead at 1 after the interview as Darnold tanked the interview and had no presence on the white board (I'd say did Mariota or Eli have a presence? Did Favre do a great job with X&Os on the board? No... but I digress..)

The rest of the top personnel staff (John Dorsey, Scot McCloughan--yes he's a top staffer more on that in a bit, and Alonzo Highsmith) along with Paul DePodesta have Baker Mayfield as their clear cut leader by a wide margin. The personnel guys then have Josh Allen number 2! Followed by Sam Darnold at 3 and Josh Rosen at 4. Paul DePo supposedly has it Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, & Allen.

Complicating the matter is apparently Scot McCloughan has come in waving a big stick as a former GM like he's the de facto top personnel guy when John Dorsey isnt around. He pulls his "when i was GM" card out in every debate. He is not consulting with other teams as that was just a farce to buy him time to finish some past due work that he and his company owed some teams for purchasing their scouting services. He is a full time Browns employee. This has in particular caused friction with Eliot Wolf as he thought he'd have that "right hand man assistant GM" role and it seems that Scot will have a powerful permanent position after the draft unless something changes and problems can be worked out.

Right now, John Dorsey is supposedly selling Jimmy that Baker is the top prospect as identified by Analytics and Traditional Scouting methodology with Paul DePo in his corner. Dorsey and Scot were blown away by Baker's combine interview while coaches thought he was too defensive.

As a temporary compromise just to keep the peace while much draft work is still to be done, the coaches and personnel execs are now strongly discussing that they will take their number 1 player on the big board Bradley Chubb at #1 overall and their QB at 4. Which to me makes ABSOLUTELY NO FU**ING sense at all when we need a QB.....but again I digress...

Distraught on Skype I immediately asked my b.o.i. " if this was all a joke" and "how certain are you that this isnt just elegant disinformation on the Browns part"?

He told me it's absolutely not a joke and the same spycraft dept heads (some of the best in the business) that he trusted in NY all those years have the Giants new personnel staff convinced that it is real enough to the point where everyone on the Giants staff except for new GM Dave Gettleman and an assistant staffer are operating as if it's true and they'll have their pick of all the QBs at 2 or at worst Baker Mayfield will go 1.

I've jokingly been saying Baker would go 1 but secretly believed Hue and co AND Dorsey all loved Sam Darnold at 1. I never even considered the thought that Josh Rosen wouldve been the unanimous selection among the coaches.

My only hope now is that some compromise is struck and we go Chubb at 1 and Rosen makes it to 4 based on the personality thing, or Hue and the coaches win out and we take Rosen at 1 to guarantee we get our QB, or that meathead Dorsey is running the most sophisticated 4D chess misinformation game utilizing scouts, coaches, and personnel people as pawns to fool the scouting community. I'll hold my breath on the latter.

Say goodbye to Darnold for real my friends. He's the hero we deserved...I'll never stop believing that based on the tape review. It just really sucks...

I'm now going to watch Rosen again and try to 1. convince myself I like him more than Darnold and 2. Somehow the coaches desires win out...wish me luck..

Oh...P.S. I hate-love (more hate than anything) this sh** team with all my heart.. 

•  
  • Confused 1

WTF is a b.o.i. is that just some stupid new way of saying boy?  I searched online and found nothing.

I'd rather read a good sci-fi story but I guess some enjoy such far flung speculation. I had a hard time getting through it or taking anything away from it. That the Browns will take Chubb # overall, and Mayfield at #4 (if nobody else does). Nope, not happening.

Of course the person who wrote that is another Browns fan who is an expert NFL talent evaluator that is certain Darnold is the only possible choice at #1, even with many scouts and experts picking one of 3-4 other different people.

Edited by stevegrab

it was posted as b.o.i  a lower case I as in the letter before J, not l, a lower case L the letter after J.

had he said BIL I know what, or can find it.   Poorly written and with silly terms nobody knows had me skimming then giving up.

16 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

Out of Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Jackson and Allen, 4 of those guys will be franchise quarterbacks and be in the league 15 years.

The Browns will choose the 1 who is not.

Which is why they are floating the idea of going QB/QB...... I highly doubt they go that route, but have read it at a few different outlets. My working theory is they are floating that idea so that the teams that want a QB will up their offers for a pick.

Edited by Big Country

5 hours ago, Big Country said:

Which is why they are floating the idea of going QB/QB...... I highly doubt they go that route, but have read it at a few different outlets. My working theory is they are floating that idea so that the teams that want a QB will up their offers for a pick.

I think all the outlets are quoting one article from The Ringer.  The reporter asked several Browns' front office people if they had considered drafting 2 quarterbacks.  Any front office person doing their due diligence would at least consider it.  The article doesn't name the front office people who said they considered it.  But I think you're right.  If they can actually convince other general managers that they might draft a second quarterback, then the value of the pick goes up for trade purposes.  Here is the article from The Ringer: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2018-browns-quarterback-sam-darnold-josh-allen-picks-stats/1cuypi97e8wxe13jplgo41klnf  Personally, I would use both picks on a quarterback.  It would create controversy and competition.  If a quarterback can't handle the controversy and competition, then they aren't NFL caliber.  A true NFL quarterback will thrive in those conditions.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM, LordOpie said:

why not take one QB in the 1st and one in the 2nd (eg. Lauletta or Rudolph)? Like Shanny did in WAS with RG3 and Cousins. (I don't think Lauletta or Rudolph will be there in the 3rd)

Who was slated to be starting QB in WAS when they made that move?  Did they have somebody, or was it almost certain to be the top rookie?

Browns have Tyrod Taylor, not great but good enough for now.

My concern, no matter which QB they take that guy flops, for a mutlitude of reasons including lack of good talent around them, good coaching, or just shear dumb luck. But we won't know for a year, since whoever they draft is set to sit and learn, and not play. If they end up playing them early they're going to look foolish after saying they won't play in year one.

PS  :Dorsey also said he was considering offers for the #1 pick, does that mean it will happen?

• Like 1

I actually think taking Chubb #1 overall, then grabbing a QB with #4 isn't a bad idea. Let the other teams figure out what they want. I also am glad to see Lamar Jackson's name brought up here. I have wondered why he has gotten zero love while Josh Allen gets slobbered over. Josh Allen has the most bust potential of the group IMO. Anyway, the Browns should be happy to get whoever is left of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold after taking Chubb #1 overall. Drafting two QBs in the top 4 would be silly when they have other needs that could be filled by an elite talent /prospect with one of those picks.

• Like 1

I will be genuinely surprised if someone takes Mayfield with a top 10 pick.  Hype aside, the guy is 6’0”.  I just don’t see GMs that are already on the hot seat taking the risk of an undersized QB. Sure, Wilson and Brees and even Jimmy G have had some success, but 6’3” seems to be a QB cut off, traditionally speaking, for ‘Franchise QBs’. Johnny Manziel at 1.22 is the earliest i can remember a short guy going in the last 10-15 years.  Vick was the last 6’0” qb to go early, and his game does not resemble Mayfield’s

2 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

I actually think taking Chubb #1 overall, then grabbing a QB with #4 isn't a bad idea. Let the other teams figure out what they want. I also am glad to see Lamar Jackson's name brought up here. I have wondered why he has gotten zero love while Josh Allen gets slobbered over. Josh Allen has the most bust potential of the group IMO. Anyway, the Browns should be happy to get whoever is left of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold after taking Chubb #1 overall. Drafting two QBs in the top 4 would be silly when they have other needs that could be filled by an elite talent /prospect with one of those picks.

Problem I have with a QB at 4 is you're letting other teams decide what QB you get, which is fine if you have 3 ranked about the same.

The other key question is, what's better Chubb (or Barkley, other non QB) and one of the QBs, or your choice of QB and best non QB left, which could still be everybody. If you pass on QB, other teams at 2/3 will almost certainly take a QB, but if you pass on Chubb (or whichever non-QB) are they as likely to be gone?

Also taking a QB at 1 creates more potential that your #4 pick has value to teams looking for a QB, so you might be able to trade down a few spots, still get your guy and get extra picks.

Or this could all just be mental masturbation ;)

1 hour ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I will be genuinely surprised if someone takes Mayfield with a top 10 pick. 

Really? There is a difference between what should happen and what will. Mayfield is a proven winner and the most pro-ready guy in the draft. There are enough QB needy teams that someone will look beyond his height.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Problem I have with a QB at 4 is you're letting other teams decide what QB you get, which is fine if you have 3 ranked about the same.

The other key question is, what's better Chubb (or Barkley, other non QB) and one of the QBs, or your choice of QB and best non QB left, which could still be everybody. If you pass on QB, other teams at 2/3 will almost certainly take a QB, but if you pass on Chubb (or whichever non-QB) are they as likely to be gone?

Also taking a QB at 1 creates more potential that your #4 pick has value to teams looking for a QB, so you might be able to trade down a few spots, still get your guy and get extra picks.

Or this could all just be mental masturbation ;)

I don't think you can assume that both New York teams will draft a QB. The Jets look quite likely to do so, but the Giants maybe not quite as sure. 

Also, regarding Chubb #1 then QB at #4, aren't all of these QBs a crapshoot? Nobody knows who will pan out and who won't. So how much does it really matter which guy they get of those three?

7 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Really? There is a difference between what should happen and what will. Mayfield is a proven winner and the most pro-ready guy in the draft. There are enough QB needy teams that someone will look beyond his height.

I’m just reading history, and history says players without prototypical measurables fall.

6 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

I don't think you can assume that both New York teams will draft a QB. The Jets look quite likely to do so, but the Giants maybe not quite as sure.

Also, regarding Chubb #1 then QB at #4, aren't all of these QBs a crapshoot? Nobody knows who will pan out and who won't. So how much does it really matter which guy they get of those three?

DIdn't say I'm sure both NY teams will take a QB, but if the Browns pass, and all QBs are available somebody may trade with the Giants, especailly if the Browns took who the Giants want.

From what I hear all of the rookie QBs are a major risk, there is no Wentz in this draft. I don't follow college enough to have an opinion, but I suspect the Browns like one QB ahead of the others, and aren't just throwing darts to pick a QB. For the Browns, whoever they draft will not play this year, so how ready they are is not important. Their ceiling may be the most important, but for sure their ability to translate college success to the pros.

So many fans keep saying how Allen sucks, or Rosen is an injury risk, or how Darnold was horrible in the bowl game, or how Mayfield is too short, or another Manziel. Most of them have THEIR guy, and every other guy is horrible. Or they have one guy they hate, who they fear the team will draft and be a bust.  But that could happen no matter who they draft, its the stuff you struggle with on a very bad team.