Dcat

Browns fans: Read this long rumor!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

I actually think taking Chubb #1 overall, then grabbing a QB with #4 isn't a bad idea. Let the other teams figure out what they want. I also am glad to see Lamar Jackson's name brought up here. I have wondered why he has gotten zero love while Josh Allen gets slobbered over. Josh Allen has the most bust potential of the group IMO. Anyway, the Browns should be happy to get whoever is left of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold after taking Chubb #1 overall. Drafting two QBs in the top 4 would be silly when they have other needs that could be filled by an elite talent /prospect with one of those picks.

 

Problem I have with a QB at 4 is you're letting other teams decide what QB you get, which is fine if you have 3 ranked about the same.

 

The other key question is, what's better Chubb (or Barkley, other non QB) and one of the QBs, or your choice of QB and best non QB left, which could still be everybody. If you pass on QB, other teams at 2/3 will almost certainly take a QB, but if you pass on Chubb (or whichever non-QB) are they as likely to be gone?

 

Also taking a QB at 1 creates more potential that your #4 pick has value to teams looking for a QB, so you might be able to trade down a few spots, still get your guy and get extra picks.

 

Or this could all just be mental masturbation ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I will be genuinely surprised if someone takes Mayfield with a top 10 pick. 

 

Really? There is a difference between what should happen and what will. Mayfield is a proven winner and the most pro-ready guy in the draft. There are enough QB needy teams that someone will look beyond his height.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

Problem I have with a QB at 4 is you're letting other teams decide what QB you get, which is fine if you have 3 ranked about the same.

 

The other key question is, what's better Chubb (or Barkley, other non QB) and one of the QBs, or your choice of QB and best non QB left, which could still be everybody. If you pass on QB, other teams at 2/3 will almost certainly take a QB, but if you pass on Chubb (or whichever non-QB) are they as likely to be gone?

 

Also taking a QB at 1 creates more potential that your #4 pick has value to teams looking for a QB, so you might be able to trade down a few spots, still get your guy and get extra picks.

 

Or this could all just be mental masturbation ;)

 

I don't think you can assume that both New York teams will draft a QB. The Jets look quite likely to do so, but the Giants maybe not quite as sure. 

 

Also, regarding Chubb #1 then QB at #4, aren't all of these QBs a crapshoot? Nobody knows who will pan out and who won't. So how much does it really matter which guy they get of those three?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

 

Really? There is a difference between what should happen and what will. Mayfield is a proven winner and the most pro-ready guy in the draft. There are enough QB needy teams that someone will look beyond his height.

I’m just reading history, and history says players without prototypical measurables fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

 

I don't think you can assume that both New York teams will draft a QB. The Jets look quite likely to do so, but the Giants maybe not quite as sure.

 

Also, regarding Chubb #1 then QB at #4, aren't all of these QBs a crapshoot? Nobody knows who will pan out and who won't. So how much does it really matter which guy they get of those three?

 

DIdn't say I'm sure both NY teams will take a QB, but if the Browns pass, and all QBs are available somebody may trade with the Giants, especailly if the Browns took who the Giants want.

 

From what I hear all of the rookie QBs are a major risk, there is no Wentz in this draft. I don't follow college enough to have an opinion, but I suspect the Browns like one QB ahead of the others, and aren't just throwing darts to pick a QB. For the Browns, whoever they draft will not play this year, so how ready they are is not important. Their ceiling may be the most important, but for sure their ability to translate college success to the pros.

 

So many fans keep saying how Allen sucks, or Rosen is an injury risk, or how Darnold was horrible in the bowl game, or how Mayfield is too short, or another Manziel. Most of them have THEIR guy, and every other guy is horrible. Or they have one guy they hate, who they fear the team will draft and be a bust.  But that could happen no matter who they draft, its the stuff you struggle with on a very bad team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

 

Really? There is a difference between what should happen and what will. Mayfield is a proven winner and the most pro-ready guy in the draft. There are enough QB needy teams that someone will look beyond his height.

 

I would argue that Darnold and Rosen are more pro-ready than Mayfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conventional wisdom would seem to dictate taking Barkley first overall, then grab Allen at #4 which would be a major coup IMHO...although conventional wisdom seems to elude the Browns year-after-year.  So guessing they will probably mess this up somehow.  But here's to 'hope' if you are a Cleveland fan...cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Conventional wisdom would seem to dictate taking Barkley first overall, then grab Allen at #4 which would be a major coup IMHO...although conventional wisdom seems to elude the Browns year-after-year.  So guessing they will probably mess this up somehow.  But here's to 'hope' if you are a Cleveland fan...cheers!

 

The people in charge this year are far smarter than those that were making decisions in years past.  I don't know if they're taking Barkley though.  Would they have traded for Hyde knowing they had the 1st overall and that Barkley was likely the best player in this draft?  Why spend money on Hyde if they knew they'd be taking Barkley?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyde is decent but he just fits more of a COP and 3rd down RB to me...he is still yet to have a 1K yard rushing season and he's been in the league for 4-5 years.  Barkley would sell tickets and could be an every-down monster for a few years to come. 

 

IDK...I just can't really see taking Allen #1 if they are really that enamored with him, could easily get him at #4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Hyde is decent but he just fits more of a COP and 3rd down RB to me...he is still yet to have a 1K yard rushing season and he's been in the league for 4-5 years.  Barkley would sell tickets and could be an every-down monster for a few years to come. 

 

IDK...I just can't really see taking Allen #1 if they are really that enamored with him, could easily get him at #4.

 

But they have one of the better 3rd down backs in the league already.  I dunno.  Just weird.  I guess we'll all see in about 29 hours!  :tup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably just my bias against seeing Barkley in a Giants uniform kicking in... :smash:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Conventional wisdom would seem to dictate taking Barkley first overall, then grab Allen at #4 which would be a major coup IMHO...although conventional wisdom seems to elude the Browns year-after-year.  So guessing they will probably mess this up somehow.  But here's to 'hope' if you are a Cleveland fan...cheers!

 

So what was conventional wisdom last year, draft anybody but Myles Garrett at #1?

 

Texans fan, do they have any NFL Championships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Hyde is decent but he just fits more of a COP and 3rd down RB to me...he is still yet to have a 1K yard rushing season and he's been in the league for 4-5 years.  Barkley would sell tickets and could be an every-down monster for a few years to come.

 

IDK...I just can't really see taking Allen #1 if they are really that enamored with him, could easily get him at #4.

 

The Browns don't really need to sell tickets, they're a bit down now, but creating a winning team is what will bring fans back, not a big name RB (If he were a Buckeye maybe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Probably just my bias against seeing Barkley in a Giants uniform kicking in... :smash:

 

Yes that's a great way to formulate a model of what should/will happen in the draft. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

I'd probably be a tad bit bitter if I was in your shoes as well...

 

Not really bitter, just tired of all the "Browns are stupid and don't know how to draft" nonsense from people who don't realize there is a new GM, one with a good track record. Or maybe you believe in some curse on the Browns or something.


But what really gets me is your views on the draft as it pertained to this discussion, apparently they are not grounded in sound analysis but some disdain you have for the potential of Barkley being a Giant. Your "Hyde is more a COP or 3rd down back to me" and "he's never had 1000 yards" is pretty far off the mark. His rookie year they still had Gore, his second year he played half a year, had 115 carries for 470 yards, his next 2 years he had 217-988 (in 13 games) and 240-938, so while not 1000 yard, pretty close and far from a COP or 3rd down back.

 

But its easier to dismiss me as bitter, than admit you were talking out your rear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously...as a Browns fan you don't think getting Barkley and Allen in this draft would be a great thing?  Perhaps try watching Draft Day, I hear that ends pretty good for Cleveland. :headbang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

Seriously...as a Browns fan you don't think getting Barkley and Allen in this draft would be a great thing?  Perhaps try watching Draft Day, I hear that ends pretty good for Cleveland. :headbang:

 

I think those would be decent picks, but probably not the best. I just see Barkley as being something of a luxury, but that's because unlike you I know Hyde is not a COP/3rd down back. I also don't pretend to know who the best QB option is, I still think if Mayfield was 2 inches taller he'd be their guy. I think its Darnold or Allen,

 

I've tried to watch Draft Day a couple times, just couldn't get into it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol...well, it is Kevin Costner, but Jennifer Garner is nice to look at.  

 

I think the Browns come out of this looking pretty good no matter which way they decide to go...they have both Hyde and Taylor so they could bypass both those positions and go defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ABearWithFurniture said:

lol...well, it is Kevin Costner, but Jennifer Garner is nice to look at. 

 

I think the Browns come out of this looking pretty good no matter which way they decide to go...they have both Hyde and Taylor so they could bypass both those positions and go defense.


They'll be crucified if they pass on a QB again, it is almost certainly the 1.01 pick, but could be 1.04.

 

If there were a great LT in the draft I'd want that, we're going to miss Joe Thomas. But those talking about a guard (Nelson) in our top picks are off,

 

One more thing, Dorsey doesn't draft RB high, that's another reason against believing they take Barkley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stevegrab said:


They'll be crucified if they pass on a QB again, it is almost certainly the 1.01 pick, but could be 1.04.

 

If there were a great LT in the draft I'd want that, we're going to miss Joe Thomas. But those talking about a guard (Nelson) in our top picks are off,

 

One more thing, Dorsey doesn't draft RB high, that's another reason against believing they take Barkley.

 

This

 

In my belief it’s gonna go QB, Chubb, hopefully Guice in the second

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh B.o.i !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, whomper said:

oh B.o.i !!!

what does "b.o.i" mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

what does "b.o.i" mean?

 

Baker, outstanding individual......?

Edited by jamesplante11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.