[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason Witten to retire?

tazinib1

I heard some talk last couple of weeks that Witten was getting an audition with NFL broadcasters. They all missed on Peyton (he wasn't interested) and I think they even tried to go after Favre. A former Cowboy star seems to be the new recipe after Romo's success.

I suspect that Witten and ESPN hadn't come to a decision until just recently. At least the draft isn't over and Cowboys have a chance to draft a replacement.

18 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I heard some talk last couple of weeks that Witten was getting an audition with NFL broadcasters. They all missed on Peyton (he wasn't interested) and I think they even tried to go after Favre. A former Cowboy star seems to be the new recipe after Romo's success.

I suspect that Witten and ESPN hadn't come to a decision until just recently. At least the draft isn't over and Cowboys have a chance to draft a replacement.

Yes but why announce it today instead of giving the Cowboys a chance to trade/draft his replacement? I don't get it

Didn't see this until now...

Cowboys TE Jason Witten reportedly received an "interesting" last-minute proposal from another network.

Witten's decision is likely to come Wednesday. He was well on his way to joining ESPN's Monday Night Football booth before another network reportedly swooped in. It seems very unlikely he returns to the Cowboys if there are two concrete offers waiting for the 15-year veteran outside of football. Even so, head coach Jason Garrett is actively trying to persuade Witten to return for one more season. If the Cowboys are expecting him to move on, they certainly did little to address that position over the weekend, waiting until the final day to draft Stanford TE Dalton Schultz. We fully expect Witten to officially hang up his cleats this week. Apr 29 - 7:14 PM

Should hear something today.  I think he's gone-zo.

49 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Didn't see this until now...

Should hear something today.  I think he's gone-zo.

I've heard that other network is Fox with the Thursday night package of games, they are looking for alternatives to using Buck/Aikman for those and the big Sunday Fox games.

28 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Witten was a great run blocker.  This definitely hurts Ezekiel a bit.

I don't know if I'd move Zeke anywhere as a result.

Witten = class act, will be solid on MNF

3 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I don't know if I'd move Zeke anywhere as a result.

Witten = class act, will be solid on MNF

Lack of quality pass catchers will probably have more impact on Zeke than loss of Witten's blocking.

12 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Lack of quality pass catchers will probably have more impact on Zeke than loss of Witten's blocking.

Even with Witten's decline, Dak will miss Witten a whole heck of a lot more than Dez.  

Does DAL get desperate and go for Gates?  Wonder if there are any TEs that are on the trade block.

A couple of quality tight ends and/or wide receivers will still be cut from other teams.  Some good bargains can be had in August and September.  Dallas seems the most likely place for them to land.  Too bad Dez burned his bridges with Dallas.  Dallas could really use him at a reduced price.

19 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Gathers could be a sneaky sleeper in '18.

I do like this guy.  Lanky, basketball background.  He's got to stay healthy, though.  Also, I think Schultz might get more playing time than you might think because he's a dual threat to block and catch.