tazinib1

Jason Witten to retire?

Man. The Cowboys receivers are looking pretty bleak right now if that is true. I mean really, really bleak.

Reported on  NFLN now.

if true, why wouldn't Witten and DAL keep it a secret until DAL could draft a TE or two?

• Like 1

I heard some talk last couple of weeks that Witten was getting an audition with NFL broadcasters. They all missed on Peyton (he wasn't interested) and I think they even tried to go after Favre. A former Cowboy star seems to be the new recipe after Romo's success.

I suspect that Witten and ESPN hadn't come to a decision until just recently. At least the draft isn't over and Cowboys have a chance to draft a replacement.

Prescott's top two receivers from last season are both gone. :wacko:

Posted (edited)

Mike Giesicki come on down...

They shoulda drafted Hayden Hurst instead of the LB

Edited by darin3

18 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I heard some talk last couple of weeks that Witten was getting an audition with NFL broadcasters. They all missed on Peyton (he wasn't interested) and I think they even tried to go after Favre. A former Cowboy star seems to be the new recipe after Romo's success.

I suspect that Witten and ESPN hadn't come to a decision until just recently. At least the draft isn't over and Cowboys have a chance to draft a replacement.

Yes but why announce it today instead of giving the Cowboys a chance to trade/draft his replacement? I don't get it

1 hour ago, DMD said:

Man. The Cowboys receivers are looking pretty bleak right now if that is true. I mean really, really bleak.

Yeah, man.  He should have told us yesterday before we drafted an LB!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Yeah, man.  He should have told us yesterday before we drafted an LB!

Agreed.....

Jerry Jones just said Witten has made no decision yet.

will DAL sign Gates?

• Like 1

When I heard this the first thing that popped into head was Witten just doesn't see a SB run anytime soon so why keep playing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoJoTheWebToedBoy said:

When I heard this the first thing that popped into head was Witten just doesn't see a SB run anytime soon so why keep playing. 

ESPN has already signed him to MNF. 

4 hours ago, JoJoTheWebToedBoy said:

this.

i know many of you think Dez is done, but maybe releasing their "#1" WR was the final straw for Witten?

• Like 1

lol...

Jerry Jones: No timeline for Jason Witten to finalize his decision

Posted by Charean Williams on April 28, 2018, 8:03 PM EDT

The Cowboys still don’t have a final decision on Jason Witten, and Jerry Jones said the tight end can have all the time he needs. Having said that, the Cowboys owner added that Witten asked for the weekend to finalize his plans.

So Witten likely will inform the team of his decision early next week. Barring a last-minute change of heart, it’s expected the 15-year veteran will retire.

Didn't see this until now...

Cowboys TE Jason Witten reportedly received an "interesting" last-minute proposal from another network.

Witten's decision is likely to come Wednesday. He was well on his way to joining ESPN's Monday Night Football booth before another network reportedly swooped in. It seems very unlikely he returns to the Cowboys if there are two concrete offers waiting for the 15-year veteran outside of football. Even so, head coach Jason Garrett is actively trying to persuade Witten to return for one more season. If the Cowboys are expecting him to move on, they certainly did little to address that position over the weekend, waiting until the final day to draft Stanford TE Dalton Schultz. We fully expect Witten to officially hang up his cleats this week. Apr 29 - 7:14 PM

Should hear something today.  I think he's gone-zo.

49 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Didn't see this until now...

Should hear something today.  I think he's gone-zo.

I've heard that other network is Fox with the Thursday night package of games, they are looking for alternatives to using Buck/Aikman for those and the big Sunday Fox games.

28 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Witten was a great run blocker.  This definitely hurts Ezekiel a bit.

I don't know if I'd move Zeke anywhere as a result.

Witten = class act, will be solid on MNF

3 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I don't know if I'd move Zeke anywhere as a result.

Witten = class act, will be solid on MNF

Lack of quality pass catchers will probably have more impact on Zeke than loss of Witten's blocking.

12 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Lack of quality pass catchers will probably have more impact on Zeke than loss of Witten's blocking.

Even with Witten's decline, Dak will miss Witten a whole heck of a lot more than Dez.  

Does DAL get desperate and go for Gates?  Wonder if there are any TEs that are on the trade block.