[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys trade for Tavon Austin

Wolverines Fan

24 minutes ago, DMD said:

What is "how do you prove you are desperate", Alex.

I thought the Cowboys would sell out to move up and draft Courtland Sutton.

32 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I like it too.  And it freed up Switzer to allow us to get a DT.  We're going to wage Jihad on the NFC!

:lol:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HowboutthemCowboys said:

Beasley?

Started to fall out of favor last year and is a free agent in '19.  I thought the signing of Hurns - who excels in the slot - signaled them moving away from Beasley.  Add in the drafting of Switzer last year... just not a lot of things pointing towards the Beez doing much in '18 and beyond for the Boys.  At least that's how I was looking at it.  

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Started to fall out of favor last year and is a free agent in '19.  I thought the signing of Hurns - who excels in the slot - signaled them moving away from Beasley.  Add in the drafting of Switzer last year... just not a lot of things pointing towards the Beez doing much in '18 and beyond for the Boys.  At least that's how I was looking at it.  

He was traded to the Raiders a couple days ago.  http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/04/28/cowboys-trade-ryan-switzer-raiders-dt-ward

28 minutes ago, Big John said:

Huh, didn't know that.  The trade for Austin definitely makes more sense now.

That said, the drafting of Switzer still remains a signal the Cowboys were looking for someone to replace Beasley.  Maybe.

On a side note I kinda like Switzer in OAK.  

Edited by darin3

11 minutes ago, kdko said:

Think Tavon will just be the return guy and line up for gimmicky plays.  I don't see much fantasy value here, if at all.

Yeah, heard on Colin Cowherd's show that Stephen Jones said that they plan on using him "as they used [Lance] Dunbar".... a RB.  Maybe he won't spend much time in the slot at all.  I can definitely see him in gadgety type of roles and in the return game.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 11:36 AM, darin3 said:

Yeah, heard on Colin Cowherd's show that Stephen Jones said that they plan on using him "as they used [Lance] Dunbar".... a RB.  Maybe he won't spend much time in the slot at all.  I can definitely see him in gadgety type of roles and in the return game.

To supplement this...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys view Tavon Austin as a running back.

Rapoport compares Austin to Lance Dunbar, who received 24 targets in a third-down role with the Cowboys in 2016. Austin played a similar role with the Rams last season as he handled 59 carries and saw 22 targets. Despite Austin's reported involvement in Dallas' backfield, Ezekiel Elliott remains a prime bounce-back candidate and RB1 in 2018. Apr 28 - 3:13 PM

I will take Austin in PPR as a very late pick.  He can be electric in space and there could be some extra targets floating around with the departure of Witten.  

I'll believe it when I see it.

Cowboys planning big Tavon Austin workload

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8402/tavon-austin

Speaking in the Cowboys' post-draft press conference, EVP Stephen Jones said the team wants to get "web back" Tavon Austin "a dozen to two dozen" touches per game.
That's a real quote, verifiable at the link below. Jones said that's in addition to the return game. Austin lost return duties to Pharoh Cooper last season and averaged 4.5 touches on offense. Even during his Jeff Fisher heyday of 2015, Austin averaged just 6.5 touches. We are going to assume the front office doesn't actually mandate that Austin is one of the most heavily-used players in football this season, but the Cowboys have made it abundantly clear they want to feature Austin in their old Lance Dunbar role. May 10 - 6:42 PM

43 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Cowboys planning big Tavon Austin workload

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8402/tavon-austin

Speaking in the Cowboys' post-draft press conference, EVP Stephen Jones said the team wants to get "web back" Tavon Austin "a dozen to two dozen" touches per game.
That's a real quote, verifiable at the link below. Jones said that's in addition to the return game. Austin lost return duties to Pharoh Cooper last season and averaged 4.5 touches on offense. Even during his Jeff Fisher heyday of 2015, Austin averaged just 6.5 touches. We are going to assume the front office doesn't actually mandate that Austin is one of the most heavily-used players in football this season, but the Cowboys have made it abundantly clear they want to feature Austin in their old Lance Dunbar role. May 10 - 6:42 PM

I read this earlier and chuckled. 

1 hour ago, kdko said:

12-24 touches? LOL

Yeah that's a LOL but... in leagues where you have the room, why wouldn't you add a guy that has a pretty nice physical profile and that COULD make some hugh plays?

I won't overpay for him in dynasty formats but in redrafts?  I will take a gamble... definitely.