[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys trade for Tavon Austin

Wolverines Fan

14 hours ago, darin3 said:

Yeah that's a LOL but... in leagues where you have the room, why wouldn't you add a guy that has a pretty nice physical profile and that COULD make some hugh plays?

I won't overpay for him in dynasty formats but in redrafts?  I will take a gamble... definitely.

I'd gladly take him in the last round, you never know.  (tangent) Looking at last year's draft I was really surprised to see ~80ish% of the 7th round+ picks were on the waivers. 

The LOL is directed at Stephen Jones rather than Austin's ability    I don't see Austin getting more than 5-6 catches a game, which means on the low end of his estimate he'd be taking another 6-7 carries.  I  could see him maybe getting those 12 touches on his best day.  He's electric with the ball in his hands, but I don't think he's a polished enough route runner to get a significant amount of receptions per game, nor a big enough player to line up in the backfield for many carries.

11 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Cowboys ran about 62.5 offensive plays per game last year, makes the Austin projected numbers 20-40% of the offense. Elliot had about 17.5/game.

:clap::lol:  Good job connecting those stats.

This is good news.  There was no way Tavon was going to get more than 10-12 snaps per game at running back as long as Zeke was healthy/unsuspended.  And getting 3rd down snaps at running back doesn't lead to a lot of touches.  It's still unlikely that he'll have a large role but I'll possibly take a 16th round flyer on him and see how involved in the offense he is in week one.  Dallas has so few offensive weapons that a player or two might surprise.  MFL has him listed as a running back.  I wonder if stays a running back or if they'll switch him back to receiver or give him dual eligibility.

Tavon Austin to get most of snaps at receiver 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8402/tavon-austin

Cowboys OC Scott Linehan expects Tavon Austin to get most of his snaps at receiver.
"We’ll use him for a lot of things, but he’s a receiver first," said Linehan. "Some of his skill set is as an outside receiver, but he can move around." This throws shade on reports the Cowboys plan to use Austin in a Lance Dunbar role. Austin should see an uptick from the last year's 81 touches, but remains unlikely to make a fantasy impact. May 12 - 4:09 PM
Edited by michaelredd9

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2018 at 12:35 PM, darin3 said:

Huh, didn't know that.  The trade for Austin definitely makes more sense now.

That said, the drafting of Switzer still remains a signal the Cowboys were looking for someone to replace Beasley.  Maybe.

On a side note I kinda like Switzer in OAK.  

Or wears out his welcome again.  He was just traded to the Steelers.