[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats supposedly wanted to move up for...

darin3

Baker Mayfield?  I call shenanigans.  

Baker Mayfield's agent says he was informed during the pre-draft process that the Patriots considered moving up to No. 2 to select his client.

The plan would have, of course, been contingent on the Browns passing on Mayfield at No. 1. The Patriots were connected to collegiate quarterbacks throughout the spring, most notably Louisville's Lamar Jackson. The Pats had two first-round selections, but at Nos. 23 and 31, they weren't the kind of ammunition that would get you into the top five. The Pats would have had to sell the farm to even have a chance at making the necessary move for Mayfield, and even then it might not have been enough. The takeaways are that the league loves Mayfield and that the Pats are aggressively looking to life beyond Tom Brady.

Source: Zack Cox on Twitter

Edited by darin3

I was reading a local story from CLE paper with a reporter claiming as many as 12 other NFL teams had Mayfield rated as the top QB in the draft, some of those came directly from GMs they spoke with, others from various sources. Not sure how much is really fact or just somebody feeding them a line.

Also read an article how Browns VP  of Player Personnel Alonzo Highsmith didn't have Mayfield at the top of his list until recently.Heard Hue didn't either but both came away impressed after meeting and talking to him and watching him work out.

I think the surprise in this is not that the Pats considered drafting a QB, but that they planned to move up to 2nd overall pick to get one, and that their choice was Mayfield.

These are things we will never know.  Several teams also had Mason Rudolph with a first round grade, ans Kyle Lauletta was a perfectly suites Jimmy G clone that was going to go early in the second.  Equanimious St. Brown was supposed to be drafted in the first 2 rounds.

nfl teams look at players differently than the rest of us do.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:23 PM, kdko said:

Two time walk on, went on to nab the Heisman.  I love the guy's work ethic, and he's a born winner.  Not in the Tebow way, but the real way.

I'm totally on the fence.  He could easily bust but could also be a fantasy stud.  :shrug: 

13 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I'm totally on the fence.  He could easily bust but could also be a fantasy stud.  :shrug: 

Yeah..all of these QB's drafted in the 1st round could.. it's going to be an interesting year.  I wonder where Mayfield can be had in the draft, i'd love to have him stashed on my bench week 1.

1 minute ago, kdko said:

Yeah..all of these QB's drafted in the 1st round could.. it's going to be an interesting year.  I wonder where Mayfield can be had in the draft, i'd love to have him stashed on my bench week 1.

I dunno, I think Rosen and Darnold have pretty high floors.  Jackson and Mayfield seem like higher-risk guys to me.

As for drafting Mayfield in redrafts, I wouldn't do it.  I think the Brownies need to see what Hue Jackson can do with a halfway-decent roster.  I think Taylor sticks as the starter all season unless they go 1-9 or something and they punt on the season.

1 minute ago, darin3 said:

I dunno, I think Rosen and Darnold have pretty high floors.  Jackson and Mayfield seem like higher-risk guys to me.

As for drafting Mayfield in redrafts, I wouldn't do it.  I think the Brownies need to see what Hue Jackson can do with a halfway-decent roster.  I think Taylor sticks as the starter all season unless they go 1-9 or something and they punt on the season.

I literally COMPLETELY forgot about Taylor was on the team for a minute :lol:  You're right on that.

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Agreed about Darnold and maybe Rosen.  But in no way are Jackson and Mayfield in the same category.  Jackson is a long term project much more than Mayfield by far.  If Mayfield can pick understand an NFL defense and pick up the playbook then he has a shot to be really good.  Jackson has to do all of that and learn to be a QB first and a runner 2nd.

26 minutes ago, NAUgrad said:

Agreed about Darnold and maybe Rosen.  But in no way are Jackson and Mayfield in the same category.  Jackson is a long term project much more than Mayfield by far.  If Mayfield can pick understand an NFL defense and pick up the playbook then he has a shot to be really good.  Jackson has to do all of that and learn to be a QB first and a runner 2nd.

Oh yeah, agreed.  I just lumped Darnold and Rosen together as the higher-floor guys while Mayfield and Jackson (and Allen too, actually) have way more boom-or-bust potential.  I agree that Jackson is well behind Mayfield in terms of running an offense.  :tup: 

I like Tyrod Taylor.  He is a quarterback that can win 10 games if paired with a good defense and a good running game.  He will win a few games with his legs.  He'll lose a few games because he can't throw for 300 yards.  He won't take full advantage of his quality receivers.  He won't turn the ball over much.  He is a good quarterback to make it to the playoffs but not to win the Superbowl.  But I think a 9 win season would be welcomed by the Browns' fans, coaches, and ownership.  And delaying fame for Mayfield is probably a good thing.

I like Baker Mayfield a lot.  I think his mobility and ability to throw on the run will allow him to overcome his height disadvantage.  When a short quarterback is on a bootleg, he can see the field better than when he is directly behind the offensive line.  Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are both mobile and very good at throwing on the run.  Bootlegs have been critical to both of their successes.  I think Baker will have similar success while bootlegging.  And Jarvis Landry and Josh Gordon are ideal receivers to have while Baker is scrambling and improvising.  I would rate Landry and Gordon as 2nd round picks for a fresh dynasty league with Mayfield's eventual impact in mind.  I have Landry and Gordon rated as 3rd round picks in redraft because of Taylor being the starting quarterback.

• Like 1

Mayfield gonna lift CLE to nee Heights! It’s a new era in CLE, congrats Browns fans!

Why do so many experts and fantasy people think Darnold and Rosen have higher floors? That doesn’t compute with me. Mayfield is the ONLY QB in this class that has a chance to be elite, imo. Weird that 1 inch is soooo critical in many peoples eyes. 

29 minutes ago, Brentastic said:

Mayfield gonna lift CLE to nee Heights! It’s a new era in CLE, congrats Browns fans!

Why do so many experts and fantasy people think Darnold and Rosen have higher floors? That doesn’t compute with me. Mayfield is the ONLY QB in this class that has a chance to be elite, imo. Weird that 1 inch is soooo critical in many peoples eyes. 

Because the consensus seems to be that they've played in systems that produce quality - or at minimum, average - QBs. 

Mayfield's chances of being elite equal his chances of being a complete bust.  Same with Jackson in my opinion.

Rosen has a chance to be elite.  Low bust potential IMO.  Some chance of being very average, too, though.

The last on my list here is Darnold.  Just a real uphill climb there in NYJ.

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Because the consensus seems to be that they've played in systems that produce quality - or at minimum, average - QBs. 

Mayfield's chances of being elite equal his chances of being a complete bust.  Same with Jackson in my opinion.

Rosen has a chance to be elite.  Low bust potential IMO.  Some chance of being very average, too, though.

The last on my list here is Darnold.  Just a real uphill climb there in NYJ.

Yeah, I guess I just don’t agree with the consensus. Mayfield is the most accurate, has a strong arm and has worked hard for everything he’s accomplished. Seems to have that moxie that elite players have too. I’m not touching Darnold in any format. 

The big question might be when do these guys get a chance to play. If you believe what the Browns say, Mayfield is a clipboard holder this year. I could see him playing some in the 2nd half of season, but unlikely before that. And if they are decent after 8 games he could be left on the bench all season.

31 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The big question might be when do these guys get a chance to play. If you believe what the Browns say, Mayfield is a clipboard holder this year. I could see him playing some in the 2nd half of season, but unlikely before that. And if they are decent after 8 games he could be left on the bench all season.

I think a lot of the discussion - at least from my standpoint - on these guys is from a dynasty perspective.  I'm not touching any rookie QB in redrafts this year.

• Like 1

IMO accuracy is the QB killer.  You can have an average arm, but if you're accurate then you can play QB.  The next killer is smarts.  If a QB isn't that bright then they better have a fall back.......... like tennis.