[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ongoing Rules Talk

darin3

On 5/12/2018 at 7:13 AM, t-bone65 said:

I guess what I am saying is, if you don't have any devy players currently your dts would be limited to 10 instead of 13. Should be your choice to have devy or not and if you decide not you shouldn't be penalized by shortness of dts size. Plus I have about 20 or so now so increase it lol

I brought this up last year and was shot down, and I kind of agree with the decision.  The entire purpose of this league was to be a devy league.  You aren't being penalized, it's not like anyone else can use those extra spots either. 

I also kind of disagree with the decision because I'm all for owner freedom and decision making and if I want to sacrifice a 3rd devy spot to chase a rookie I should be able to do that.  With only 3 devy players giving that spot up means something, there are still very good college guys not drafted, so it's not like you're getting something for free doing so.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Tford said:

Since the rules don't specify a hard date for contract declaration, I'm going to use what we did last year as the deadline which was the Tuesday before the first game. This year, that date is September 4th. 5 pm EST was the deadline timing on the day and we should stick with that.

If someone vehemently disagrees, we should hash it out in greater detail in the ongoing rules discussion, otherwise this date should be entered into the rules thread for completeness.

• 6 months later...

So what we got on docket this year? 

1. DTS Size - suggestions mentioned so far include increasing number for rookie spots, having flexible DTS spot(s), adding a defensive devy spot, and Heisman cash :yuk: 

2. Franchise Tag - did we need to revisit anything on it after the setup last year and it's currently missing in the rules.  

3. Clarifying Dates - Clarifying rules for a specific day yet flexible date for events like off-season waiver runs, rookie draft, and roster deadline. 

Had mentioned schedule generation but will see how that works out after divisions are realigned.  So will skip that for now. 

What else we got and when we going to get conversation started here?  April and RFA are not far.   

2 hours ago, Def. said:

So what we got on docket this year? 

1. DTS Size - suggestions mentioned so far include increasing number for rookie spots, having flexible DTS spot(s), adding a defensive devy spot, and Heisman cash :yuk: 

2. Franchise Tag - did we need to revisit anything on it after the setup last year and it's currently missing in the rules.  

3. Clarifying Dates - Clarifying rules for a specific day yet flexible date for events like off-season waiver runs, rookie draft, and roster deadline. 

Had mentioned schedule generation but will see how that works out after divisions are realigned.  So will skip that for now. 

What else we got and when we going to get conversation started here?  April and RFA are not far.   

1. Not necessarily increase DTS size but give owners the option of having 13 DTS and 0 devy as flexibility or 12-1/11-2, still love the max of devy at 3. Shouldn't be forced to have a defensive devy or pay extra cash for hesiman.

1 hour ago, t-bone65 said:

1. Not necessarily increase DTS size but give owners the option of having 13 DTS and 0 devy as flexibility or 12-1/11-2, still love the max of devy at 3. Shouldn't be forced to have a defensive devy or pay extra cash for hesiman.

Think there needs to be at least a minimum enforced, or else what's the point of a devy league if only 6 people do it.  Was thinking more along the line of having a 14 player DTS, 10 for rookies 2 for devy, and the last 2 flex for whatever you choose (rookie or devy) with a minor stipulation of a max of 3 offensive devys on any DTS (so if carrying 4 devy you need at least 1 defensive player).  Give flexibility to owners to choose how they build but keeps the intent of the league. 

Just my :2cents:

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 8:38 PM, Def. said:

Think there needs to be at least a minimum enforced, or else what's the point of a devy league if only 6 people do it.  Was thinking more along the line of having a 14 player DTS, 10 for rookies 2 for devy, and the last 2 flex for whatever you choose (rookie or devy) with a minor stipulation of a max of 3 offensive devys on any DTS (so if carrying 4 devy you need at least 1 defensive player).  Give flexibility to owners to choose how they build but keeps the intent of the league. 

Just my :2cents:

I could get behind this

On 3/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, Def. said:

2. Franchise Tag - it's currently missing in the rules.  

Bump...don't want there to be confusion when people franchise tag in this system vs others. 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Eric C Golden said:

How many RFA players can i protect and match?  Best New York Godfathers

You can franchise tag one player per year, note the pricing schedule below. You can match any number of RFAs as long as you have the cash! Cash balances are located here. Cash Balances

8. Franchise Tags
Each year every owner may designate 1 player whose contract expires before the RFA period begins to be his franchise player for the year. The owner will tag the chosen player by posting the players name in the official franchise tag thread in the AFL-Devy forum. The cost to designate a franchise player is $5 AFL-D bucks, and that amount will be deducted from the team's official balance at the start of RFA. This fee is deducted regardless of the owner retaining or losing the player during the RFA period or via trade.

8.1 Franchise Tag Restrictions
Franchise tags are valid only for the team who issues the tag by posting in the franchise thread and paying the initial fee. The tag is non-transferable, from the time a player is tagged until all RFA bids close for that player, or the end of RFA, whichever comes first. In the case that a tagged franchise player is traded away during the aforementioned period between tagging and bid closing/end of RFA, the teams franchise tag will be voided for the year. The $5 tag fee is non-refundable.

8.2 Retaining a Franchise Player
Franchise players may be bid on by the league, but to retain ownership the franchising owner only has to pay half the amount of the high bid, or $5 AFL, whichever is greater. Owner does not pay both cost and high bid, just the greater of the 2. The full cost, minus initial $5 fee, will be deducted from the teams balance at the time of closing. 

If original owner matches, they are to be retained based on the following schedule, which is simply $10 per contract year:

1 year deal: $10
2 year deal: $20
3 year deal: $30
... and so on

8.3 Failing to Retain a Franchise Player
If current owner does not have the cash, or chooses not to match high bid of franchise player, said owner receives HALF the amount of high bid (rounded up), plus high bids 1st round pick in the upcoming rookie draft. If high bid owner does not have a 1st round pick in upcoming rookie draft, said owner pays his highest pick in that draft plus 1st round pick in the next draft. If said owner does not have a 1st round pick in 2nd upcoming draft, he pays his highest pick in that draft as well and his 1st round pick in the 3rd upcoming draft. High bid owner could be out up to 3 draft picks if he chooses to trade his 1st round picks, and bid on opposing owner's franchise players.

A) - If you only have your original 1st...... then obviously you forfeit that pick.
B.) - If you have multiple 1st. Rd. picks and one of them is your original...... then you forfeit your original 1st. .... regardless of what the other pick is.
C.) - If you own multiple picks and none of them are your original then you forfeit the pick that is closest to your original pick in the order.... regardless of direction.

if you originally owned the 1.6.... and now you own the 1.5 & 1.8...... you'd forfeit the 1.5.
if you owned the 1.3.... and now own the 1.1 & 1.6..... then yes, you'd forfeit the 1.1.
if you owned the 1.10..... and now own the 1.1 & 1.12.... then you'd forfeit the 1.12.
a dice roll will determine the pick.... if you own 2 picks exactly in the middle of your original pick. For example if your original pick was 1.9, and you now have picks 1.7 and 1.11, you roll the dice. 3 100 sided dice = maximum roll of 300. If you roll 151 or higher you give up the highest pick of the 2, which is 1.11, if you roll 150 or lower you give up the lowest pick of the 2, which is 1.7.

Edited March 26, 2019 by Tford

6 hours ago, Eric C Golden said:

How many RFA players can i protect and match?  Best New York Godfathers

RFA are thrown out and bid on one at a time, so that part is yet TBD.  There are usually 3-10 players out for bid at any one time.  There's no schedule or restriction when they get started, it's just whenever someone decides to toss them out.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/forum/252-afl-devy/?page=3

There's a bit of strategy as to when you want to start a bid, or place a bid, or wait to match, depending on how much you or others have.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

For discussion in 2022 season:

I just noticed the current voting options for new schedule don't have all teams playing each other at least once, not enough weeks for that.  If we go to three divisions though, we can, this is what we did in FDSB:

3 divisions 4 teams each.

Play all division opponents twice = 6 games

Play all other opponents once = 8 games

Nice and clean.  We can determine who makes playoffs in subsequent discussion, I just wanted to get this posted so we remember next year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

For posterity purposes, I have put up for vote everything mentioned to this point in the rules discussion. Given that March is almost over, if there are any other rules to be discussed, please bring them up now.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I am bumping this because we haven't had any posts here for almost two years.

Curious if there are opinions on what to change rules-wise.

For a reminder to old owners and clarity to the new owner, we voted on the following last year:

1) Eliminating Kickers - 2nd vote on this and Majority voted no again

2A) Adding another offensive flex to starting lineup requirements - Passed, will be implemented in 2024 season

2B) Adding another defensive flex to starting lineup requirements - Passed, will be implemented in 2024 season

3A) IR rule changes - Limited IR return - Passed, was active in 2023 season

3B) IR rule changes - No dead year cuts from IR - Majority voted yes but did not have 2/3s majority

4A) Adding 2 active roster spots - Majority voted yes but did not have 2/3s majority

4B) Adding 2 extra contract years - 50/50 split on whether to keep the same or increase, did not have 2/3s majority

Given that we have a new owner and two of these rule changes failed to pass by only one vote. I will be proposing those rule changes again. I would encourage those who have some opinion to share on potential rule changes to reply to this thread to begin some discourse on it or PM me.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:09 PM, terminader55 said:

I'd say increasing taxi squad by 1-2 especially if we are needing more starting players or at least the extra 1-2 taxi squad spots be for defensive players only I think would be good as well.

I'd be up for that

On 1/27/2024 at 2:20 PM, terminader55 said:

Also we could increase the buy in to $77 and with the extra $27 from each team we could pay each division winner $60 and the highest scoring team each week could make $10. Or something along those lines. 

I'd be up for this too