[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rashaad Penny

michaelredd9

I'll be avoiding Penny.  His situation couldn't be worse.  Seattle has a horrible offensive line.  He faces competition from Seattle's other running backs.  And he has a quarterback that doesn't throw to running backs (no Seattle running back has had more than 37 receptions with Wilson at the helm).  Planets will have to align for Penny to prosper this year.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

To me, Penny doesn't break tackles.  I love the acceleration and I wish me popped that jump cut more often.  But running through a tackle is not something that happens enough.  I question him being a bellcow in a smashmouth offense.  I think of him as lightning to someone else's thunder.  I can see Carson mixing in here. 

But the draft capital is significant, the coachspeak is high.  It's making me second guess. 

I just had to throw in my 2 cents in here before someone spends 1.2 on him. Please look at the tackle-breaking!

Edited by Tecmo

10 hours ago, Tecmo said:

To me, Penny doesn't break tackles.  I love the acceleration and I wish me popped that jump cut more often.  But running through a tackle is not something that happens enough.  I question him being a bellcow in a smashmouth offense.  

O rly?

penn.png

Edited by kdko

2 hours ago, Tecmo said:

To me, Penny doesn't break tackles.  I love the acceleration and I wish me popped that jump cut more often.  But running through a tackle is not something that happens enough.  I question him being a bellcow in a smashmouth offense.  I think of him as lightning to someone else's thunder.  I can see Carson mixing in here. 

But the draft capital is significant, the coachspeak is high.  It's making me second guess. 

I just had to throw in my 2 cents in here before someone spends 1.2 on him. Please look at the tackle-breaking!

According to this article, Penny was the best RB in the draft class for getting yards after contact when hit at or behind the line of scrimmage.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-san-diego-state-rb-rashaad-penny-a-first-round-talent

6 hours ago, kdko said:

Explain.  He literally has 0 competition back there.

Chris Carson looked very good last year.  He was productive behind a horrible offensive line.  He could be serious competition.  C.J. Prosise has talent.  The only question is if he can stay healthy.  He is stiff competition for pass game duties and could even challenge for the lead dog role.  J.D. McKissic was effective in his role last year.  He won't compete for the main ball carrier but he probably has a niche role carved out in the pass game.

7 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

According to this article, Penny was the best RB in the draft class for getting yards after contact when hit at or behind the line of scrimmage.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-san-diego-state-rb-rashaad-penny-a-first-round-talent

Wow, that seems misleading.  That's not what I saw.  Maybe contact is simply bumping into a DL shoulder?  I like to watch YouTube videos.  Just type in 'Rashaad Penny vs'.  Spend a few minutes watching him against the big boy defenses.  When the defender gets him, it's over for him.  He goes down too fast.  You can watch a whole game and watch him break zero tackles. 

I'm not saying he's garbage.  He's definitely quick.  He's really eating up yardage.  Once he gets going, he at least falls forward.  He looks very fluid receiving, but at the same time he gets plowed over in pass protection.  All backs have pass protection flaws really though. 

What I am saying is maybe he's lightning to someone else's thunder (Carson).  Because Penny is not physical. 

4 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Chris Carson looked very good last year.  He was productive behind a horrible offensive line.  He could be serious competition.  C.J. Prosise has talent.  The only question is if he can stay healthy.  He is stiff competition for pass game duties and could even challenge for the lead dog role.  J.D. McKissic was effective in his role last year.  He won't compete for the main ball carrier but he probably has a niche role carved out in the pass game.

I was beating the drum for Carson last year, but let's be honest...Carson was a product of scarcity.  They spent a first round pick on Penny, he's going to get the keys handed to him.  Procise and McKissic are also not as talented with the ball in their hands as Penny, I'm not worried about them at all.

I just don't understand how you think Penny has competition in the backfield, but you think that Michel doesn't in NE.  Burkhead/Hill/White are far more talented competition for touches.  Makes me scratch my head.

32 minutes ago, kdko said:

I just don't understand how you think Penny has competition in the backfield, but you think that Michel doesn't in NE.  Burkhead/Hill/White are far more talented competition for touches.  Makes me scratch my head.

I said that Michel doesn't have much competition for main ball carrier.  Burkhead and White are effective in the pass game but not as rushers.  Carson did better running behind a horrible offensive line than Burkhead, Gillislee, and White did running behind a great offensive line.

@packers) 6 - 39

49ers) 20 - 93

@ titans) 11 - 34

colts) 12 - 42

That's Carson's season(first 4 games of the year)... no rushing TD's... I'm just not seeing what there is to get excited about?

Look, the Seahawks have been throwing alotta crap against the wall to see what sticks at the position.. nothing has... it seems really clear too me they're tired of that and want some one to bell-cow for them like they had with Lynch.

I'm sure Prosise will stick around to give Penny a blow because he can catch the ball and is capable of explosive plays(they also have draft capital invested) .. and if Carson can keep himself outta the whirlpool he might stick too, but him and McKissic are just guys on the rear end of the roster IMO... none of those guys haven't really shown squat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tecmo said:

Wow, that seems misleading.  That's not what I saw.  Maybe contact is simply bumping into a DL shoulder?  I like to watch YouTube videos.  Just type in 'Rashaad Penny vs'.  Spend a few minutes watching him against the big boy defenses.  When the defender gets him, it's over for him.  He goes down too fast.  You can watch a whole game and watch him break zero tackles. 

I'm not saying he's garbage.  He's definitely quick.  He's really eating up yardage.  Once he gets going, he at least falls forward.  He looks very fluid receiving, but at the same time he gets plowed over in pass protection.  All backs have pass protection flaws really though. 

What I am saying is maybe he's lightning to someone else's thunder (Carson).  Because Penny is not physical. 

Sounds like you've certainly done some research that I haven't.  Finding a way to get yards after initial contact, however, is an attribute that the Hawks admire.  I also read that Penny had some pretty good games outside the Mountain West and forced 80 missed tackles in 2017 while gaining more than 1,200 yards after contact.

Heck, I was surprised the Hawks didn't trade down again.   But apparently they were willing to pick him at 1.18.

Edited by Bobby Brown

7 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Sounds like you've certainly done some research that I haven't.  Finding a way to get yards after initial contact, however, is an attribute that the Hawks admire.  I also read that Penny had some pretty good games outside the Mountain West and forced 80 missed tackles in 2017 while gaining more than 1,200 yards after contact.

Heck, I was surprised the Hawks didn't trade down again.   But apparently they were willing to pick him at 1.18.

I dunno, he said his research was youtube videos.  I watched most of SDSU's season last year :p

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, the lone star said:

He showed off some good receiving skills in the Senior Bowl.

I think he will eventually be a part of a committee though tbh.

with 7th round Chris Carson? or career disappointment Procise?

5 hours ago, the lone star said:

He showed off some good receiving skills in the Senior Bowl.

I think he will eventually be a part of a committee though tbh.

They all become a part of a committee eventually. Jones is a 3 down back. When he starts getting a reputation for stone hands on easy 3rd down dump offs from Winston, then we might have a problem. Until then, he's a 3 down back. 

31 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

They all become a part of a committee eventually. Jones is a 3 down back. When he starts getting a reputation for stone hands on easy 3rd down dump offs from Winston, then we might have a problem. Until then, he's a 3 down back. 

What does this have to do with Penny? :huh:

39 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

That's fair. I just think committees are the way the NFL is going. 

1 hour ago, the lone star said:

Carson and Mike Davis.

I should have said career disappointment CJ Prosise and Mike Davis.  C'mon, you can't be serious in thinking it's going to be a RBBC with them spending a first on him, and saying they're committing to a smashmouth offense.  You need a 3 down banger to get a rhythm going.