[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What’s wrong with picking 1.02-1.04 this year?

Caveman_Nick

Funny thing I am seeing in my Dynasty leagues is people consistantly working to move down from these spots.  I am among them, although my reasoning is more that i have a lot of talent at RB and would rather get value at other positions.  There’s not a lot of interest, so I will end up standing pat and using my Chubb to cover my Hyde.  What are you seeing?  Seems like there are a lot of worthy rb candidates, and for some reason nobody wants them.  Weird.

I think what we are seeing is that other than Barkley at 1, there is a grouping of 6-7 RBs (Guice, Penny, Michel, Jones, Chubb, Freeman and Johnson) that all can have valid arguments for being anywhere from the #2-8 pick. Maybe 1 or 2 of the WRs squeak in ahead of 1 or 2 of the RBs, but generally a pretty weak WR class compared to past seasons, and no QB that is a definite top 10 rookie pick.

With all of that uncertainty about where to rank the RBs, I think a lot of owners are content with getting the RB that falls to them out of the group rather than feeling the need to move up to get a particular one. So now you have guys in the 2-4 range wanting to move down, but not out of the top 8, but the other owners with the picks in the 5-8 range content to pick there with no real desire to move up. You could possibly move out of the top 8, but you're not going to get the same type of package as you may have received in years past when there were a more clear top 2-4 picks and a much less severe drop off in the 2nd/3rd tier rookies because there were more WRs and such in better situations.

In one dynasty draft that I am in, I will say the most activity and talk was centered on folks outside the top 8 trying to get the 7-9 picks to get the last of the rookie RBs that look to be in decent spots, but those offers didn't happen until the first 5 picks or so had been made.

Yeah what BC said.  After Barkley, there's a fairly big grouping of RBs.  I think Guice might be a hair above that big grouping... so Barkley, Guice, then a grouping of a few RBs that have good opportunities.  

I don't think the offensive talent is much to get excited about in this draft other than RB... TE is deep but so few really explode onto the scene it's difficult justifying a pick that high...for me personally the only other skill guy I get really excited about on a purely talent basis is Goedert, that's who I would want to be taking #2 in theory... of course he goes to the worst situation imaginable so I'm not sure what I would do if I held #2... Chubb goes to LB :rolleyes:... maybe a couplea real certain picks at MLB(but depends on your feeling about taking defenders real high)... the WR just leave a lot to be desired IMO.

that huge pool of RB's after Barkley is confusing and disappointing to some I'm going to guess in part because of what happened last year where Hunt and Kamara are guys got in the late 2nd/early 3rd... people may be undervaluing RB's with that in mind... that's just a theory I'm putting out there, but it's certainly in the back of my mind when I look at RB's not named Barkley..

I get what you are saying.  From my perspective I’d rather have the chance to make a choice than see what falls, unless you think Guice, Chubb, etc. will all never equate to more than a second - third round redraft pick.

if I have to pick in that group, give me 1.02.  I just have that pick in the wrong league :lol:

1 hour ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I get what you are saying.  From my perspective I’d rather have the chance to make a choice than see what falls, unless you think Guice, Chubb, etc. will all never equate to more than a second - third round redraft pick.

if I have to pick in that group, give me 1.02.  I just have that pick in the wrong league :lol:

I think Guice has a chance of being a late 1st / early 2nd at some point.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing the same in my leagues. I have a 1.02 in one league and am pretty torn. I've been waiting for Chubb to enter the draft for so long that he's probably my guy.

On a similar note, the Barkley love is out of control IMO. People are taking him in the top 5 in startups. No doubt, the dude is good, but over proven, young guys like Elliot and DJ...crazy. When I watch his clips, I see some not insignificant problems. I mean, you don't see Chubb or Guice getting brought down one-on-one by corners without getting a solid 5 yards after initial contact.

2 hours ago, BA Baracus said:

I'm seeing the same in my leagues. I have a 1.02 in one league and am pretty torn. I've been waiting for Chubb to enter the draft for so long that he's probably my guy.

On a similar note, the Barkley love is out of control IMO. People are taking him in the top 5 in startups. No doubt, the dude is good, but over proven, young guys like Elliot and DJ...crazy. When I watch his clips, I see some not insignificant problems. I mean, you don't see Chubb or Guice getting brought down one-on-one by corners without getting a solid 5 yards after initial contact.

You should see the offers/demands/trades over at FGB forums, they are absurd.  Zeke+ for him.  GURLEY for him.  Ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, tazinib1 said:

i have the 1.4 here in a few hours.....I'm taking Sony

Yeah, we totally believe that.  You're not at all blowing smoke hoping someone takes him over Jones, nope not at all.

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2018 at 10:21 AM, BA Baracus said:

Maybe you didn't watch enough UGa/LSU football.  ;)

You seem to be implying Barkley can be brought down easily/has no power, which is ridiculous.  I'm on the bandwagon.  He has everything you'd want and a solid passing game so the focus won't all be on him.  True he hasn't proven a thing yet, but neither did Elliot coming in and he tore it up too.  RBs rated THAT high almost always do.  No guarantees but about as safe of a bet as you'll get.  I'd gladly snap him up at 1.05.

Edited by BeeR

12 hours ago, BA Baracus said:

I'm going on record that Chubb is better with the ball in his hands than Barkley

I watched plenty of both over the past couple years and think that's just crazy talk.  You're most certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think that opinion is wrong.  :D

• Haha 1