Sign in to follow this  
Dcat

Hyde-Chubb-Duke: Browns backfield

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

When Hyde landed with the Browns, we Keeper/Dynasty Hyde owners were happy.  And when Giants took Barkley, a sigh of relief could be heard around the world for all Keeper/Dynasty Hyde owners. 

 

But then at pick 2.3, the Browns surprise by selecting the Bulldog, Nick Chubb, causing Hyde owners to weep.  Any idea how Hyde/Chubb/Duke will divide carries + 3rd down responsibilities?  Chubb is a between-the-tackles bruiser, and I figure him to get more carries than the others, especially in the Red Zone.  He's their improved version of Crowell.  As for long-term...  I expect one of Hyde or Duke to get released after the 2018 season.  After the season is over, if Cleveland is happy with Chubb, they could release or trade Hyde with a $2.3 million dead money cap hit or they can let Duke go to free agency perhaps landing a comp pick for him.  I think Hyde owners would be happy down the road with a Chubb-Hyde backfield.  But the prescence of Duke Johnson this season I fear is going to limit Hyde's production.

Edited by Dcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't envision Hyde in Cleveland next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a Patriot-esque 3 back rotation, based on game plan and match-ups and influenced by turnovers.  For this season it comes down to pass blocking and ball protection.  After that, i agree with D3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a mess. And what doesn't help is that Duke Johnson is clearly one of the top third-down backs in the NFL. He caught 74 passes last year. And Hyde is both a good runner and a good receiver - he had 59 receptions last year. Then throw in Chubb who is a power back with great rushing ability and almost no experience as a receiver. The last two years he combined for 447 carries for 2475 yards but only totaled nine catches.

 

So you have a receiving back. a back that does both and a rushing back.

 

The new offensive coordinator Todd Haley hasn't used a committee. When he was the HC in KC 2009 - 2011, he had Jamaal Charles. When he was in PIT as the OC from 2012-2017, he had Le'Veon Bell. So his background prefers if not creates a "superback" that does it all. In CLE, there are 3 separate pieces and none are like each other. This would be simple if there was no Chubb or no Hyde. Johnson is what he is - a great third-down back. But how it shakes out between Hyde and Chubb is the question. 

 

Have to consider this a three-way monster until either Chubb or Hyde clearly beats the other out for more touches. But for 2018, it is wait and see what shakes out and worse yet, their roles could change throughout the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a lot of words that could have been summed up with “I agree with Nick!” :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good analysis so far, I do wonder if the Browns had seriously considered their likelihood of drafting a top RB this year when signing Hyde. I think this year will be a tough thing to predict, probably Hyde early as Chubb learns and finds his role. But agree with those saying its a pretty good chance Hyde is gone after this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still like Duke.  He was the 12th highest scoring running back in PPR last year while only playing 53% of snaps and getting only 82 carries.  His percentage of snaps could go down a bit but he can still easily put up RB2 numbers in a lessened role with his receiving skills.  Last year, he had an adp in the 10th round.   Hopefully, it stays there or drops a little.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I still like Duke.  He was the 12th highest scoring running back in PPR last year while only playing 53% of snaps and getting only 82 carries.  His percentage of snaps could go down a bit but he can still easily put up RB2 numbers in a lessened role with his receiving skills.  Last year, he had an adp in the 10th round.   Hopefully, it stays there or drops a little.

 

 

Also a Duke fan and owner in a PPR league where he was most definitely useful.  Do we think his targets go down with Taylor at the helm?  I think they might.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, darin3 said:

 

Also a Duke fan and owner in a PPR league where he was most definitely useful.  Do we think his targets go down with Taylor at the helm?  I think they might.

 

 

That's a good point.  With his scrambling ability, Taylor doesn't need a running back to dump it off on.  Duke is such a good receiver that they will do scripted pass plays to him but those usually don't come on 3rd downs.  So if he is relegated to 3rd downs, his reception totals could drop precipitously.  Last year, only 27 of Duke's 74 receptions came on 3rd downs.  I might have to rethink Duke's value.  I don't see him taking many 1st and 2nd down plays from Hyde and Chubb.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One strange thing about Duke, last year in training camp they talked about using him as a slot receiver, and that never really panned out. I'm not sure why as it had some promise and the Browns didn't have much WR talent.

 

Last year the bulk of his carries (almost 90%) came on 1-2 down, But there wasn't a second RB to split time, so he was doing that as well as being a 3rd down back. Over 60% of his receptions came on 1-2 down, 35% on 3rd.

Duke Johnson rushing plays for 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One reason why Duke might get heavy use is he is the best pass protector of the 3.  Pass protection is supposed to be a weakness of Chubb.  PFF gave Hyde a pass-blocking grade of 28.3.  It was the worst grade of any running back in the NFL with a minimum of 40 pass-blocking snaps.  Duke had a pass-blocking grade of 57.1.  That isn't a good grade but it put him 26th of 46 running backs in the NFL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t just assume Chubb > Hyde, at least for this year.  People make that mistake time and time again with rookie RB’s.  

 

Will Chubb get more carries/touches?  Sure, it could happen.  But, in these types of scenarios, for every rookie that comes in and grabs the starting job and keeps on running, I could name five where that doesn’t happen.  Just saying.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 2:03 PM, the lone star said:

Hyde is inefficient on catches tbh. Look at his YPC.

 

YPC = yards per carry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they could resolve this easy, trade one to the Colts  :unsure:  I don't even care which.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BeeR said:

Yeah they could resolve this easy, trade one to the Colts  :unsure:  I don't even care which.

 

Hyde would be a good fit there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, the lone star said:

 

Yards Per Catch for old schoolers. It's YPR now?

 

i've always known it as YAC, or yards after catch :)   you're right about Hyde's YAC being pretty poor though, I was surprised it was that low.  Could be on account of how bad their tight ends, blocking schemes, and just overall offense were his first 3 years.  You can see it jumped a significant amount with Shanny's first year there. 

 

In all honesty, I see this playing out like the Saints situation last year.  Chubb will start off with the scraps at first, but could eat into Hyde's role or flat out take it over if he's talented enough at some point in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 3:10 AM, kdko said:

 

i've always known it as YAC, or yards after catch :)   you're right about Hyde's YAC being pretty poor though, I was surprised it was that low.  Could be on account of how bad their tight ends, blocking schemes, and just overall offense were his first 3 years.  You can see it jumped a significant amount with Shanny's first year there. 

 

In all honesty, I see this playing out like the Saints situation last year.  Chubb will start off with the scraps at first, but could eat into Hyde's role or flat out take it over if he's talented enough at some point in the season.

 

Yeah, that's how it normally plays out. See DeMarco Murry and David Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They let Crowell go because of his tentativeness in hitting the hole. Chubb has no problem in that category. I haven't seen enough of Hyde since his days at The Ohio State University to know how well he moves the pile. It'll be a battle between those two for touches while Duke keeps his very involved passing back role. Rookie mini-camp reports were all very positive towards Chubb but we all know how that goes. At this point, it's just too early to say who gets the bulk of the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, loaf said:

They let Crowell go because of his tentativeness in hitting the hole. Chubb has no problem in that category. I haven't seen enough of Hyde since his days at The Ohio State University to know how well he moves the pile. It'll be a battle between those two for touches while Duke keeps his very involved passing back role. Rookie mini-camp reports were all very positive towards Chubb but we all know how that goes. At this point, it's just too early to say who gets the bulk of the work.

 

 

:brew:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duke will probably still play the same role that he always has with the Browns. I hope that guy latches on with a new team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why?

Dude had 75 catches for close to 700 yards...how much more production would he give on another team?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2018 at 5:34 AM, the lone star said:

Duke will probably still play the same role that he always has with the Browns. I hope that guy latches on with a new team.

He just signed a 3-year extension with the Browns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.