[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hyde-Chubb-Duke: Browns backfield

Dcat

16 hours ago, Big John said:

He just signed a 3-year extension with the Browns.

Yes, I saw that this morning.  Makes my decision about whether to keep Hyde harder.  If the future of Cleveland's backfield is going to be a Chubb-Duke J. duo, then Hyde's stay in Cleveland might just be a one-year stop-over.  Cleveland can cut him before the third league day of the 2019 season (sometime in March, 2019) with only a $2.333 million dead cap hit.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2018 at 9:18 AM, loaf said:

Duke's going to be a PPR play no doubt. He's going to see less than 75 catches this year with the addition of Jarvis Landry.

74 receptions last year on 93 targets, that target number is likely to drop back to the 70s with better WRs on the team, development of TEs etc. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Dcat said:

When Hyde landed with the Browns, we Keeper/Dynasty Hyde owners were happy.  And when Giants took Barkley, a sigh of relief could be heard around the world for all Keeper/Dynasty Hyde owners. 

But then at pick 2.3, the Browns surprise by selecting the Bulldog, Nick Chubb, causing Hyde owners to weep.  Any idea how Hyde/Chubb/Duke will divide carries + 3rd down responsibilities?  Chubb is a between-the-tackles bruiser, and I figure him to get more carries than the others, especially in the Red Zone.  He's their improved version of Crowell.  As for long-term...  I expect one of Hyde or Duke to get released after the 2018 season.  After the season is over, if Cleveland is happy with Chubb, they could release or trade Hyde with a $2.3 million dead money cap hit or they can let Duke go to free agency perhaps landing a comp pick for him.  I think Hyde owners would be happy down the road with a Chubb-Hyde backfield.  But the prescence of Duke Johnson this season I fear is going to limit Hyde's production.

not that I'm comparing the players involved by any means....but take a think back to new Orleans last year....brought in Peterson without knowing they would fall in love with a guy/if they could land guy they fell in love with

this situation could be similar....bring in hyde...then fall in love with a back/need to land him....and now they've got their guy

I think hyde gets the nod early and they will see how thing shake out.....but I wonder how quick they turn if things don't start out so well all around

I hope Duke can continue to put up good numbers, there's a chance I'll keep him as one of 5 players for this year. (Just don't have any good RBs and really don't want to enter the draft without at least one RB. I have rotten luck lately, no matter who I find that looks promising as a good starter for the future of my team they fall of (Lat Murray, Abdullah) the last really good RB I had for a few years was Stephen Davis

I got a feeling that Hyde is going to make them very happy being a consistent back that can do everything reliably. That makes a OC feel good that you have a guy that can be in there on every down and not have to worry about what the defense does. Gives the offense a lot of flexibility to play call at the los. I could see Hyde in there for 75% of plays while Chubb uses this year to learn and Duke as the Kamara type back. If Chubb can prove to be a reliable blocker, has ball security figured out AND can break away on some good runs it could become a 3 headed monster. However, 1st year backs are usually not that well rounded and if they are tend to be pretty special. If that is the case for Chubb then good for Cleveland. Personally I like Hyde as a #2 pushing #1 back if my 75% scenario plays out.

Edited by Cowboyz1

12 hours ago, Cowboyz1 said:

I got a feeling that Hyde is going to make them very happy being a consistent back that can do everything reliably. That makes a OC feel good that you have a guy that can be in there on every down and not have to worry about what the defense does. Gives the offense a lot of flexibility to play call at the los. I could see Hyde in there for 75% of plays while Chubb uses this year to learn and Duke as the Kamara type back. If Chubb can prove to be a reliable blocker, has ball security figured out AND can break away on some good runs it could become a 3 headed monster. However, 1st year backs are usually not that well rounded and if they are tend to be pretty special. If that is the case for Chubb then good for Cleveland. Personally I like Hyde as a #2 pushing #1 back if my 75% scenario plays out.

Hyde looked pretty good in the second preseason game, I think he is a good fit and look forward to an improved running game. 

14 hours ago, Cowboyz1 said:

I like Hyde as a #2 pushing #1 back if my 75% scenario plays out.

Good luck and hope it works out for whoever grabs him.  Me personally, it's a backfield I'll ignore unless the value is just too great to pass up.

Well, I'm committed in one league with Hyde. I'm hearing he has been the lead dog in camp leaving Chubb in the dust when it comes to assignments and picking his way through to the second level. 

Edited by Cowboyz1

• 3 weeks later...

has anything here changed as far as feelings?

i own chubb....is he worth a hold? i realize pitt is a tough game for them...good defense.so its tough  to gauge hyde on his performance.......hyde is the veteran though....my gut is they stick with him until their season starts to run away on them.....how quickly that might happen i have no idea.....

I'd expect Hyde to get 2 series to every one for Chubb, at least for a few more weeks. The game plan on Sunday was heavily on the pass, which seems odd in foul weather. When they did finally commit to running it worked. To start the second half they had a sack, then it was a bunch of runs with Hyde getting 5 straight carries (gained 4,4,9,12,6 some penalties added another 20yds), then Chubb had 2 carries (5,17), Duke for no gain, then Talyor took it on 20 yards on a nice scramble after nobody was open. 

Part of the issue is the lack of a vertical game allows defense to cheat up on the RBs.  The other issue is the Oline seemed mediocre in run blocking.  A lot of those carries was Hyde force to make first cuts/decision behind the line of scrimmage.

IMO, as soon as Mayfield takes over will help the Oline/RBs out.  

11 hours ago, indyrckstar said:

Part of the issue is the lack of a vertical game allows defense to cheat up on the RBs.  The other issue is the Oline seemed mediocre in run blocking.  A lot of those carries was Hyde force to make first cuts/decision behind the line of scrimmage.

I don't think Mayfield is taking over any time soon, people expecting that and planning for it will be disappointed. I know many thing Taylor is just average and it showed Sunday, but it was not a good day for either QB, one of whom is a SB MVP and potential HOFer. 

The OL is also still trying to come together, Browns lost HOF LT Joe Thomas to retirement, then tried to shift their starting LG (Joel Bitonio) to LT and plug a rookie in at LG, then just before the opener they changed again, move Bitonio back to LG and put undrafted rookie free agent Desmond Harrison at LT.  It showed, as both guys committed penalties early.  I believe there was another OL  who missed all/most of training camp with an injury. 

The OL just isn't very good though, Austin Reiter was signed in 2016, and when camp opened this year there was talk of him pushing JC Tretter for the starting center spot. Reiter was waved after camp, and signed with the Chiefs, he is listed as their 3rd string center. 

14 hours ago, indyrckstar said:

Mayfield isn't taking over until the Browns are certain the line is sured up to the point where their shinny new toy wont get hit 10 times a game

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I don't think Mayfield is taking over any time soon, people expecting that and planning for it will be disappointed. I know many thing Taylor is just average and it showed Sunday, but it was not a good day for either QB, one of whom is a SB MVP and potential HOFer. 

The OL is also still trying to come together, Browns lost HOF LT Joe Thomas to retirement, then tried to shift their starting LG (Joel Bitonio) to LT and plug a rookie in at LG, then just before the opener they changed again, move Bitonio back to LG and put undrafted rookie free agent Desmond Harrison at LT.  It showed, as both guys committed penalties early.  I believe there was another OL  who missed all/most of training camp with an injury. 

The OL just isn't very good though, Austin Reiter was signed in 2016, and when camp opened this year there was talk of him pushing JC Tretter for the starting center spot. Reiter was waved after camp, and signed with the Chiefs, he is listed as their 3rd string center. 

IMO, I don't think of Mayfield being the savior or anything like that.  It's about stretching the field which Taylor never does.  Taylor is not a good QB.  Regardless of weather.  He is a guy that will use his legs when needed and throw short to at most medium throws down field.  The further the throw, the worse the outcome.  His ability to read/decision making for throws is below average.  I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Mayfield due to that.  Especially IF Cleveland loses the next 2-3 games.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

Mayfield isn't taking over until the Browns are certain the line is sured up to the point where their shinny new toy wont get hit 10 times a game

I don't know. I feel once the losing starts happening, they will throw him out there to gain experience.  

Being patient in the NFL with a QB is very rare.  Unless you have an Alex Smith sitting in front of Patrick Mahomes, more times than not, QBs get rushed out there.  

I've got to agree with some of the previous posters that you won't see Mayfield anytime soon. Living here in Cleveland I can say that most of the fan base is actually being fairly patient. Whether or not the coaches will be, I suppose is different. But Dorsey traded a third round pick for Taylor, and he's gotten nothing but glowing reviews from the staff.  I don't think they want to invest that much for only one or two games.

Regarding the subject of the thread, it's Hyde's job for the foreseeable future. Chubb is coming along well enough, but he's a liability with his pass blocking.  Short of injrury, I don't see him getting very significant play.

Edited by Bowman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowman said:

I've got to agree with some of the previous posters that you won't see Mayfield anytime soon. Living here in Cleveland I can say that most of the fan base is actually being fairly patient. Whether or not the coaches will be, I suppose is different. But Dorsey traded a third round pick for Taylor, and he's gotten nothing but glowing reviews from the staff.  I don't think they want to invest that much for only one or two games.

Regarding the subject of the thread, it's Hyde's job for the foreseeable future. Chubb is coming along well enough, but he's a liability with his pass blocking.  Short of injrury, I don't see him getting very significant play.

Week 3 should be very interesting when Browns fans get to watch Hey Darnold start against them in their own building.  

Just now, Dcat said:

Week 3 should be very interesting when Browns fans get to watch Hey Darnold start against them in their own building.  

This is purely fanspeak here. But as a Browns fan who preferred Darnold going into the draft, I have to say I've really come around on Mayfield.

5 minutes ago, Bowman said:

This is purely fanspeak here. But as a Browns fan who preferred Darnold going into the draft, I have to say I've really come around on Mayfield.

Browns fans love to second guess what the team does, there's a legion of know-it-alls who post on every Cleveland.com story, they were all split liking different QBs and of course hate the pick if it isn't their guy.

I'm pulling for Mayfield, but I want him to sit and learn, I want the OL to gel, I want the running game to get in sync before they toss him out there..

Darnold looked good, after he looked horrible on the first play (which was a horrible play call for his first NFL play, throwing all the way back across the field, a major no-no for most NFL QBs. Maybe he would have been the better pick, but we have Mayfield now and the fans need to support him not lament who we didn't pick (many still bitch endlessly about not taking Wentz, who I feel would have not developed well on that Browns team). 

The one topic being discussed a lot is that Taylor holds the ball too long, he scrambles around looking for a target then takes off. He rarely throws into coverage which is why he doesn't throw many picks. But that also means less down field throwing, more QB scrambling and broken plays. Not sure that is the best for a developing offense with young guys building for their future. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bowman said:

I preferred them both very much over the two Josh's.  As a Jets fan, I was figuring all along that the draft would go Browns-Darnold, Giants-Barkley and Jets-Mayfield.  In fact, getting Mayfield was the reason for the trade up to slot 3 with the Colts because there was no way in hell the Jets were going to draft a ridculously inaccurate passer like Allen just a couple of years after the Hackenburg disaster.  Hard to believe, but Allen's completion percentage in college was even lower than Hackenburg's yet the Bills completely ignored that because they were euphorically walking around in boner-pants just thinking about Allen's unGodly arm strength.   Moving up to slot 3 ensured that the Jets would get one of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold and avoid getting stuck with the new Kyle Boller .  Then a couple of days before the draft the unbelievable rumor that Cleveland was leaning towards Mayfield over Darnold came out.  I thought it was just smoke (but couldn't figure out any motive for blowing such smoke). It turns out it was genuine and the Darnold/Mayfield comparisons will now be a fixture among Browns and Jets fans for many years to come.  Should be fun!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I preferred them both very much over the two Josh's.  As a Jets fan, I was figuring all along that the draft would go Browns-Darnold, Giants-Barkley and Jets-Mayfield.  In fact, getting Mayfield was the reason for the trade up to slot 3 with the Colts because there was no way in hell the Jets were going to draft a ridculously inaccurate passer like Allen just a couple of years after the Hackenburg disaster.  Hard to believe, but Allen's completion percentage in college was even lower than Hackenburg's yet the Bills completely ignored that because they were euphorically walking around in boner-pants just thinking about Allen's unGodly arm strength.   Moving up to slot 3 ensured that the Jets would get one of Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold and avoid getting stuck with the new Kyle Boller .  Then a couple of days before the draft the unbelievable rumor that Cleveland was leaning towards Mayfield over Darnold came out.  I thought it was just smoke (but couldn't figure out any motive for blowing such smoke). It turns out it was genuine and the Darnold/Mayfield comparisons will now be a fixture among Browns and Jets fans for many years to come.  Should be fun!

Could be fun...could be a nightmare, I am just glad the "could have had Wentz" talk is quieting down