[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is This Speaking On Someone's Behalf?

the lone star

Is This Speaking On Someone's Behalf?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is This Speaking On Someone's Behalf?

• Yes
    • No

So long story short, in my fantasy football league, a rule was written in such a way that I and at least two other people interpreted it differently from the way the commissioner intended it to be read. I wrote an email to the commissioner saying "Since I and at least two other people interpreted this rule differently, I thought I would explain how I am reading it." However, he got very angry (extremely short temper) and told me that I do not speak for other people, so I should not presume to.

I did not name the people who interpreted it differently, and specifically chose not to reveal their names. Also, I know they saw it my way because we all had discussions about it.

Given this set of facts, have I actually spoken on anyone's behalf?

3 hours ago, skylive5 said:

I know that there are others that see things the way I do, however, I will let them speak for themselves.

That's fair. I was honestly just trying to let him know why I felt the need to give him my side. If it was just me that interpreted the rule incorrectly, then maybe I don't let him know. But if others have interpreted it incorrectly, now there's more of a reason for me to tell him.

• Like 1

Whether you speak on someone's behalf would be between you and that person. He has, presumably, no knowledge on who's behalf you speak. I do think he is taking offense to the questioning of the clarity of a rule he might have authored. Likewise, he may also mean you have no official proxy in terms of the league and other owners.

I think you speak on behalf of the league proper, or in other words, the best interest or in aid of the league. In that sense, I do indeed think you speak on behalf of the league and the negative connotation he assigns to that speaks towards his attitude.

Try again, rephrase, "I read this rule one way, please ask around, I think others might as well."

To answer your question, yes you did but it isn't a bad thing, quite the opposite. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2018 at 4:19 PM, skylive5 said:

I know that there are others that see things the way I do, however, I will let them speak for themselves.

Agree with Mike. Still, as a commissioner, any time someone questions a rule's interpretation the commissioner should first explain their interpretation and with one of two things should happen:

A- Owner agrees and then the rule is classified for the entire league

B- Owner disagrees and then interpretation is brought up for discussion with the entire league.

Many leagues the commissioner has the say during the season in how rules are interpreted. As long as it's done fairly, that's fine. If you don't like the rule as it's interpreted then ask to bring it up for a vote. 

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Agree with Mike. Still, as a commissioner, any time someone questions a rule's interpretation the commissioner should first explain their interpretation and with one of two things should happen:

A- Owner agrees and then the rule is classified for the entire league

B- Owner disagrees and then interpretation is brought up for discussion with the entire league.

Many leagues the commissioner has the say during the season in how rules are interpreted. As long as it's done fairly, that's fine. If you don't like the rule as it's interpreted then ask to bring it up for a vote. 

I like that procedure. I'll advocate for it going forward.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

As other users have suggested, it might have been best to have said "I'm not the only one who sees it this way; there are others, and they will speak for themselves," or something to that effect. Nonetheless, it also doesn't look like you're making someone passive by speaking for them. Most people are concerned about speaking for others because it may be a manipulative move in that one tries to convince people that they're better off being represented than repping themselves. Sometimes, whoever does this convincing has their own purpose(s) in mind. But it doesn't seem to be the case with your example.

Moreover, speaking for others is a big concern today. It is an almost intolerable thing at many private workplaces. Sociologists say this (speaking for others) is still fairly common in public sector workplaces, where rank and hierarchy matter. Not saying they don't in the private sector, just less may be. Mid-level workers at private firms have their voices subsumed by the HR, so the private is no heaven either. Ultimately, speaking for others is not tolerated because it negates their agency.