LordOpie

Huddle not accessible in the European Union

we have a league mate in England who is getting a redirect to USA Today page saying he can't visit this site. Probably has to do with the new EU regulations that went into affect the last few days, but maybe someone here knows something? Besides attempting a vpn/proxy, is there another solution? See attached screen that he took...

Huddle.jpg

Yes, this is due to the GDPR regs that the EU started yesterday. Sadly there is nothing we can do as this is a company-wide policy being implemented by Gannett across all their sites.

Seems to me Gannett might want to fix this on all their sites.  Do can you confirm if they are working on this issue?  

2 hours ago, phantommenace said:

Seems to me Gannett might want to fix this on all their sites.   

since MonkeyOne's screen capture* suggests going to the EU version of USA TODAY, I think they already gave up. I think the question is, can the huddle do an EU compliant version and detach from the usa today network?

* lol, he used his cell phone

3 hours ago, LordOpie said:

since MonkeyOne's screen capture* suggests going to the EU version of USA TODAY, I think they already gave up. I think the question is, can the huddle do an EU compliant version and detach from the usa today network?

* lol, he used his cell phone

Thanks, Opie but the question was not for you. It was for the support team.  Probably not smart to say what method he uses to connect.  They may shut that down too 

Thanks, phantom but the suggestion of detaching from USA today was not for you. It was for the support team.

Interesting. Our EU league mate now has access. 

Posted (edited)

That's good to know they must have fixed something.

Thanks

Edited by phantommenace
  • Confused 1

and... he's blocked again.

I'm guessing that the IP ban/redirect only temporarily failed and this will be a regular problem. Y'all should ask USA TODAY if the huddle can detach and provide a EU acceptable option.

Posted (edited)

Do we have any fixes for users from the United States who are receiving this message?

Strangely enough, I can access www.usatoday.com but when I login to my huddle account I still get the error message...

Edited by Rimmytose

This is across all Gannett properties, is a policy that we have no control over, and will not be changing in the foreseeable future. Sadly there is nothing that can be done at this time.