[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redraft Playoffs: Manually Reseed Or Just Abide By The System?

the lone star

Redraft Playoffs: Manually Reseed Or Just Abide By The System?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Redraft Playoffs: Manually Reseed Or Just Abide By The System?

• No. No Manual Reseed. Just Abide By The System.
    • Yes. Manually Reseed.

So I was the commissioner of a work redraft league one year, and we had 8 teams make the playoffs. The first round was 1 v. 8, 2-7, 3-6, and 4-5. But it was a bracket style playoff, so it did not automatically reseed the highest ranked team vs. the lowest ranked team. So we wound up with 5 v. 8 and 2 v. 3. I wanted to manually reseed, so that #2 played #8 and #3 played #5, but after checking the settings, I realized that I could not have selected such an option at the beginning of the year. Furthermore, I had never discussed such an event with the rest of the league, so I just let the system dictate, instead of overriding it myself. Without disclosing it to the group ahead of time, I just felt it improper to intervene.

Seeds 5 and 8 were happy, but seeds 2 and 3 were not. If I had manually reset, seeds 5 and 8 would have been upset, while 2 and 3 would have been happy. There wasn't really a perfect solution.

What do you think I should have done? Should I have manually reset or not?

16 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Lots of drama and bad blood can be prevented with well written rules.

While that is true, barring a rule saying something specific about reseeding not sure why owners would expect that. Unless it was done in the past why expect it now (maybe the scenario didn't occur in the past or wasnt as obvious).

Cannot add a rule now because somebody thinks that is the fair thing to do.

I just checked our league constitution, nothing specific about how playoff teams will be seeded, but its always been done the same way and nobody has wondered why we don't do it different. (Top 2 teams get a bye, they face the winners from the first 2 games, with #1 seed facing lowest remaining seed.)

If the rules don't say either way, you leave the bracket as is.  In other words, don't assume the need to re-seed unless that is stated in the rules.  But, if the consensus is to re-seed, add it to the rules for next year (not this year).  

• Like 1

As for which is better, it's a matter of preference, and I prefer to re-seed.  Too much flukey shlt in FF the way it is.  No need to add more that isn't necessary.  

On 5/29/2018 at 10:12 PM, michaelredd9 said:

Lots of drama and bad blood can be prevented with well written rules.

This times a million

We reseed in all my leagues, but we voted to do that a long time ago.

In your specific situation, you have to ride with the system. Your league should decide by vote this off season what they want to do.

Personally, I like reseeding because that's what the NFL does.

Edited by BA Baracus

Also, I've seen you post a few league operation questions. I like to write down anything that we argue about in-season in my leagues then decide them with a vote in the off season. You can't vote in season because everyone has a conflict of interest. Off season votes will usually yield the best decision for the league as a whole.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BA Baracus said:

Also, I've seen you post a few league operation questions. I like to write down anything that we argue about in-season in my leagues then decide them with a vote in the off season. You can't vote in season because everyone has a conflict of interest. Off season votes will usually yield the best decision for the league as a whole.

All of the leagues I participate in here have a pinned thread in the league forum, specifically for any league rules review topics.  Many times, it's things that people argue about.  Or just something that somebody would like to see changed/improved, based on the current rules.  

We keep track of all of the ideas in that thread, start a new topic thread for each item in the spring, and then vote on changing it (assuming we can come up with a specific change to vote on).  In some cases, the changes wanted are too extreme (or too vague), and the vote never takes place (or is put on hold until next season, when something more clear can be voted on, after more discussion).  

Whether it's MFL, Yahoo, or whatever, there is usually a league message board or chat feature that should all the owners/commish to keep a running list of rules review items.  

According to a Google search, the OP has posted here, FBG, FFToday, and Footballs Future.  Can only guess how many other forums he's hit spamming the same topics that the Google search doesn't check.