[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oakland Backfield

michaelredd9

I don't believe this for one second.

Doug Martin ready to push Marshawn Lynch?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/376426/doug-martin-ready-to-push-marshawn-lynch?ls=roto:OAK:topheadlines

The Athletic believes Doug Martin could push Marshawn Lynch for Raiders' lead back duties.

NBC Bay Area's Scott Bair reports the Raiders' new coaching staff has been "impressed by Martin thus far." He's reportedly showing renewed burst in OTAs. 29-year-old Martin had a miserable year for the Bucs last season while 32-year-old Lynch was surprisingly effective in Oakland. It's possible an unsatisfactory and unpredictable committee emerges, though Martin still has to secure his roster spot. Lynch's is more or less guaranteed after an offseason contract restructure.
May 29 - 3:01 PM

21 hours ago, darin3 said:

Why not?

I think the reporter is believing coachspeak.  Coaches praising players in May means little.  Marshawn is still playing at a very high level.  PFF gave him an overall grade of 84.4 last year which was the 9th best running back grade in the league.  Doug Martin received an overall grade of 48.5 which was the 6th worst running back grade.

Edited by michaelredd9

14 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I think the reporter is believing coachspeak.  Coaches praising players in May means little.  Marshawn is still playing at a very high level.  PFF gave him an overall grade of 84.4 last year which was the 9th best running back grade in the league.  Doug Martin received an overall grade of 48.5 which was the 6th worst running back grade.

Good stuff.  I've held onto Martin - and Lynch in another league - just to see how things play out.  The OAK OL can be as dominating as the DAL OL, maybe more so.  Lynch is still one of the cheapest "starting RBs" right now.  If he can stay healthy and hold off Martin he will be a HUGH value.

I like Marshawn at his 9th round adp of 100.16.  He started off a little slowly last year but that was to be expected after such a long layoff.  He got stronger as the year progressed which is a good sign for an elderly running back.  He was the 12th highest scoring fantasy running back from weeks 9-17.  He averaged 18.875 touches over that span.  If Oakland hadn't been losing most of those games, he might have done even better.  On the year, he was the 23rd highest scoring fantasy running back.  He is risky because of his age.  But at his adp, it is a small risk for a quality starting running back.

9 hours ago, kdko said:

Not touching anyone in this backfield.  Not a believer in Carr, or Gruden's Raiders.  Passing on all their skill players this year.

I've always felt that black listing every player from a team before the draft even starts, let alone in early June, is a bad idea. I can understand downgrading them if you think their offense will stumble, but the "do not draft no matter what" lists can easily backfire.

Just now, stevegrab said:

I've always felt that black listing every player from a team before the draft even starts, let alone in early June, is a bad idea. I can understand downgrading them if you think their offense will stumble, but the "do not draft no matter what" lists can easily backfire.

DND lists are DND lists.  They only had one player on that entire team last year that produced enough to warrant their ADP, and he's gone (Crabtree).  Question:  Who would you feel comfortable having in your starting lineup on this team?  Of course i'll catch someone if they're freefalling, but i wouldn't be happy with any Raiders on my roster.  JMHO.

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

DND lists are DND lists.  They only had one player on that entire team last year that produced enough to warrant their ADP, and he's gone (Crabtree).  Question:  Who would you feel comfortable having in your starting lineup on this team?  Of course i'll catch someone if they're freefalling, but i wouldn't be happy with any Raiders on my roster.  JMHO.

We have 18 man roster, start 9, half my team doesn't start and is depth. So I'm bound to have some marginal players on my team all season, guys who would never start. Haven't been thinking much about who I'd draft where, I certainly won't dismiss an entire team's offense at this point.  If your view is "no Raiders at their ADP" that's different from "passing on all their skill players".

You're welcome to your opinion, I just happen to disagree.

24 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

We have 18 man roster, start 9, half my team doesn't start and is depth. So I'm bound to have some marginal players on my team all season, guys who would never start.

I totally understand that.  If your bench is that deep, then a lot of those guys will be taken for potential upside.  Our bench only has 5, so i'll usually devote 2 to rookie or vet RB's with upside.

24 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Haven't been thinking much about who I'd draft where, I certainly won't dismiss an entire team's offense at this point.  If your view is "no Raiders at their ADP" that's different from "passing on all their skill players".

You're welcome to your opinion, I just happen to disagree.

I dunno, Baltimore was a DND for me last year and probably will be this year too.  Only players i'd (maybe) take a shot at on that offense are the rookie TE's in PPR, since Flacco zero'd in on Pitta for as long as he was healthy.  You're right, I did say conflicting things.  I'm more in the camp of 'no Raiders at their ADP.'  I also don't think they'll fall as far as I'd like to grab them.  

I will happily start Amari Cooper on a weekly basis.  In the league I own Lynch, I am stacked at RB so I will likely not start him, but he'll provide quality depth in case something goes awry.  In the league I have Martin the starting requirements are flexible enough to where I won't need to start him, but again... could provide some depth.

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

I will happily start Amari Cooper on a weekly basis.  In the league I own Lynch, I am stacked at RB so I will likely not start him, but he'll provide quality depth in case something goes awry.  In the league I have Martin the starting requirements are flexible enough to where I won't need to start him, but again... could provide some depth.

Damn, that takes balls. Shouldn't we be concerned that he AND Carr have both regressed each of the last 3 years.  Plus, if there's not a clearcut lead back that backfield is going to be a mess.  I don't think Lynch OR Martin will be the third down back if they're playing catch up or hurry up offense.  The fact that Gruden is taking over and is a coaching dinosaur doesn't make me overly optimistic.

I'm apt to believe that the player we saw in college and in his first two years in the NFL is the real Amari Cooper and that last year is the aberration.  Derek Carr said that Amari played on one foot last year.  That makes more sense than him suddenly being bad after being so consistently good.  He is not overvalued at his adp of 38.55.

• Like 3