[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Evan Engram Overrated?

michaelredd9

Evan Engram was extremely inefficient last year.  He caught 55.7% of his targets.  That was by far the lowest catch rate of any of the top 20 fantasy tight ends.  In fact, a lot of the elite tight ends had a catch rate well over 70%.  Was it because Eli was inaccurate?  Probably not.  Overall, 75.8% of Eli passes were considered catchable which was 5th best in the league.  Engram dropped 11 passes according to PFF and he dropped 5 passes according to Fox Sports.  That was the most dropped passes for a tight end according to PFF and the second most dropped passes for a tight end according to Fox Sports.  PFF gave him an overall grade of 42.2 which ranked 67th out of 71 tight ends.  PFF gave him a receiving grade of 55.8 which isn't much better. 

Did Evan get 64 catches, 722 yards, and 6 touchdowns solely because he was a warm body on the field and someone had to get some stats?  Is Engram set up for a sophomore slump because Eli will have superior receivers to throw to?

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Thanks 1

I'm more concerned that he's no longer the only viable target. With Odell Beckham back, Sterling Shepard missed five games and was the main attention of the secondary when Beckham was out. He's back. And not the main focus.Barkley can also decrease the passes if he is as billed, plus offer a target himself.

It is a new offense as well. Pat Shurmur likes TEs which helps. But a successful rushing game - which the Giants have not seen since Ahmad Bradshaw six years ago - needs TEs to block. Engram was shockingly productive for a rookie TE but it was the force-fed situation that made him so. I'd expect some regression. He had four games with over 10 targets. That seems highly unlikely to repeat.

I don't get the hype.  OBJ is back, Shepard will improve.  And most importantly, Barkley is going to be used heavily.

Maybe it's because I don't own him in any of my leagues.  :shrug:  

I'm staying away in redraft too though.  I'd rather wait on TE this year and it looks like Engram is costing way too much.

• Thanks 1

He's a TE that runs a 4.4.  He put up impressive numbers being the only offensive target, and the opposing defenses knew that.  I see less targets, but I don't see him being less efficient.  You'll see him take some long seam routes to the house this year.  I'll have to see where he's going, but i'd be happy with him in the 5th+.

Edited by kdko

28 minutes ago, kdko said:

He's a TE that runs a 4.4.  He put up impressive numbers being the only offensive target, and the opposing defenses knew that.  I see less targets, but I don't see him being less efficient.  You'll see him take some long seam routes to the house this year.  I'll have to see where he's going, but i'd be happy with him in the 5th+.

I am maybe being too harsh on him.  He was a rookie.  Tight ends who become great are often ineffective their rookie year.  The learning curve is slow for tight ends.

6 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I am maybe being too harsh on him.  He was a rookie.  Tight ends who become great are often ineffective their rookie year.  The learning curve is slow for tight ends.

I think it's totally reasonable because his targets are definitely gonna go down.  Give him an opening now that defenses aren't keying in on him though, and he's just like any speedy WR in the open field....but 40 pounds heavier.

Edited by kdko

On 6/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, michaelredd9 said:

Evan Engram was extremely inefficient last year.  He caught 55.7% of his targets.  That was by far the lowest catch rate of any of the top 20 fantasy tight ends.  In fact, a lot of the elite tight ends had a catch rate well over 70%.  Was it because Eli was inaccurate?  Probably not.  Overall, 75.8% of Eli passes were considered catchable which was 5th best in the league.  Engram dropped 11 passes according to PFF and he dropped 5 passes according to Fox Sports.  That was the most dropped passes for a tight end according to PFF and the second most dropped passes for a tight end according to Fox Sports.  PFF gave him an overall grade of 42.2 which ranked 67th out of 71 tight ends.  PFF gave him a receiving grade of 55.8 which isn't much better. 

Did Evan get 64 catches, 722 yards, and 6 touchdowns solely because he was a warm body on the field and someone had to get some stats?  Is Engram set up for a sophomore slump because Eli will have superior receivers to throw to?

Great analysis. Maybe it's time for the michaelredd Friday Huddle column? Can't say if you're right or wrong but I appreciate the thought-provoking post.

• Like 1

I owned engram in a non mandatory TE ppr league where we could start up to 5 receivers...I picked him up off waivers after the 1st week of the season

I did see some brutal drops(but we saw the same from mike evans a few years ago and then he came out and dropped(no pun intended) a big year on everyone the following year)...and evans wasn't actually a rooke the year he led the league in drops

the giants offensive line was brutal....and there was no run game....watching them( I only watched because of engram) was brutal at times as I'm sure most know

now the upgrades on the offensive line, the back  and the healthy receivers...this offense should open up....I haven't really looked at many rankings this early so I'm not sure if hes being overrated in rankings....but remember...he has decent size...he can run real well and he can get up there high point......I could see similar numbers....maybe less opportunities....but I could also see him running free a lot more if everything else is healthy and working around him......he was also getting a lot of attention later in the year and some forced targets