[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Corey Davis

michaelredd9

Will he ascend to elite status?

Corey Davis 'one of the stars' of Titans OTAs

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/377076/corey-davis-one-of-the-stars-of-titans-otas?ls=roto:TEN:topheadlines

TitansOnline.com's Jim Wyatt reports Corey Davis was "one of the stars" of Titans spring practices.

The fifth overall pick in last year's draft, Davis missed a bunch of rookie time with a hamstring injury, missing most of training camp and the first five games of the season. Per Wyatt, Davis "looked smooth during the offseason, snatching the ball out of the air with ease in traffic" and made "some spectacular catches." Tennessee is counting on Davis to make a significant Year 2 leap.
Source: titansonline.com
Jul 13 - 9:47 AM

Elite status this season?  Not sure.  I'm hoping for big strides outta the Titan offense as a whole and Davis' production will fall in line with those strides.... but elite?  Hard to say he'll be in the top 5-10 this season.  Just don't see it.  I'm a Davis owner and hoping for the best, but that seems a little optimistic.

i like davis and would be willing to roll the dice with him...unfortunately im not sure hes much of a value right now from what im seeing with ADPs and insider drafts/mocks....im kind of hoping to see him less valued and more of a bargain come draft time...but that doesnt seem likely cause if he has a solid camp and stays healthy he will likely at least hold if not move up boards

i want to get some of him...but every time i think of him i think of kevin white, devante parker and last year amari cooper.....hes the type of guy that could put up 80 catches with 10-12 tds at a 5th round price....or just stink or be a nagging injury frustration

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 7:43 PM, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

im not sure hes much of a value right now from what im seeing with ADPs and insider drafts/mocks.

His 5th/6th round adp is frustrating since he did so little last year.  Davis is a player who would have had an 8th/9th round adp in drafts 10-15 years ago.  But both big site cheat sheets and people keep getting better at fantasy football.  People who were bad at fantasy football for years have slowly become knowledgeable or at least competent.  Unproven players with potential like Corey Davis don't fall in drafts like they previously fell.  It has made getting high value draft picks far more difficult.

If Davis looks really good in the preseason, I will consider drafting him at his adp.  I believe Mariota will bounce back this season and that Davis will be the main beneficiary.  And I don't like the options available in the 5th and 6th rounds of drafts at all.  I believe there is a big drop-off from the 4th to the 5th round of fantasy drafts.  In the 4th round, players like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Zach Ertz, and Brandin Cooks are available.  I like them.  In the 5th round, I'm choosing between rookie running backs.  I don't like the rookie running backs.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to trade my 5th and 6th round picks for someone's 3rd round pick.  I will make the offer before the draft but most people won't be willing to do the trade because they will want to see who is available with their 3rd round pick.  So I'll tell them that if it gets to their 3rd round pick and they don't like anyone that I'll still be willing to do the trade.  I think it's important to explain the trade before the draft because it would be a difficult trade for someone to analyze in the stressful minute or two they are on the clock.  If I can't pull that trade off, I'll start offering my 5th and 6th round picks for someone's 4th and 8th round picks.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

His 5th/6th round adp is frustrating since he did so little last year.  Davis is a player who would have had an 8th/9th round adp in drafts 10-15 years ago.  But both big site cheat sheets and people keep getting better at fantasy football.  People who were bad at fantasy football for years have slowly become knowledgeable or at least competent.  Unproven players with potential like Corey Davis don't fall in drafts like they previously fell.  It has made getting high value draft picks far more difficult.

If Davis looks really good in the preseason, I will consider drafting him at his adp.  I believe Mariota will bounce back this season and that Davis will be the main beneficiary.  And I don't like the options available in the 5th and 6th rounds of drafts at all.  I believe there is a big drop-off from the 4th to the 5th round of fantasy drafts.  In the 4th round, players like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Zach Ertz, and Brandin Cooks are available.  I like them.  In the 5th round, I'm choosing between rookie running backs.  I don't like the rookie running backs.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to trade my 5th and 6th round picks for someone's 3rd round pick.  I will make the offer before the draft but most people won't be willing to do the trade because they will want to see who is available with their 3rd round pick.  So I'll tell them that if it gets to their 3rd round pick and they don't like anyone that I'll still be willing to do the trade.  I think it's important to explain the trade before the draft because it would be a difficult trade for someone to analyze in the stressful minute or two they are on the clock.  If I can't pull that trade off, I'll start offering my 5th and 6th round picks for someone's 4th and 8th round picks.

I do agree with you....especially when talking about certain rounds where the guys that generally are dropping in those rounds dont appeal to you...to me thats the ideal time to take a gamble or make a reach on a guy you love.....as i look at some mocks and ADPs there are def certain rounds where all the guys are just "blah" to me.....

now on to your comment about rookie rbs.....are you saying this particular crop, sans barkley, doesnt appeal to you? or just in rookie rbs in general? cause let me tell you Ive had alot of success plucking rookie RBs over the last 18 years or so.......in general the prices have gone up a bit on them....but if you are in a 12 teamer and guys like guice, jones and penny are hanging around in the 4th/5th(even in a 10 teamer) i think they are worth a good look.......rookie rbs are generally able to contribute early and teams want to get the most out of them under their rookie deals and use them up........as it stands right now i def like guice.....im waiting to see/heara little more on jones/penny as the summer goes on....i think some are making too much of this talk of carson being the starter and "looking good"...i think thats just coach stuff catering to a veteran and not trying to annoint a rookie...if they didnt need/want penny there they would have gone with something else....

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

I would be happy with Guice in the 5th round but his adp is 37.  And I'm not totally sold on Guice since he may get few receptions and Jay Gruden is the type of coach that won't stick with him through thick and thin.  But I think Guice is good and he has little competition for 1st and 2nd down carries.  I think he'll earn the main ball carrying job. 

I don't like Penny or Jones.  Penny is running behind a bad offensive line with a quarterback that doesn't throw much to running backs.  I understand what you are saying about Carson getting the coach's support because he is the veteran.  But the media and the players are also saying that Carson has looked awesome.  Rookie running backs rarely win the starting job outright.  I like Jones even less than Penny.  He is also running behind a bad offensive line, might have issues with pass protection, and might not be a good receiver.  I don't think he even looked particularly good in college.  And he is small.  The last time a rookie running back smaller than 215 pounds got 200 carries was 10 years ago with Chris Johnson.  I see bust written all over Jones. 

I like Royce Freeman the best of the running backs available in the 5th round.  He has the size and possibly the skill set to be a full-time back without much competition in front of him.  Rookie running backs are inherently risky.  It takes more than just talent for a rookie running back to earn a big role.  Pass protection and understanding the playbook are not easy things to master.  Teams are hesitant to put too much on a rookie running back's plate unless he is special.  I think people have on rose-colored glasses with this year's rookie running backs because of how good last year's crop performed.

34 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I would be happy with Guice in the 5th round but his adp is 37.  And I'm not totally sold on Guice since he may get few receptions and Jay Gruden is the type of coach that won't stick with him through thick and thin.  But I think Guice is good and he has little competition for 1st and 2nd down carries.  I think he'll earn the main ball carrying job. 

I don't like Penny or Jones.  Penny is running behind a bad offensive line with a quarterback that doesn't throw much to running backs.  I understand what you are saying about Carson getting the coach's support because he is the veteran.  But the media and the players are also saying that Carson has looked awesome.  Rookie running backs rarely win the starting job outright.  I like Jones even less than Penny.  He is also running behind a bad offensive line, might have issues with pass protection, and might not be a good receiver.  I don't think he even looked particularly good in college.  And he is small.  The last time a rookie running back smaller than 215 pounds got 200 carries was 10 years ago with Chris Johnson.  I see bust written all over Jones. 

I like Royce Freeman the best of the running backs available in the 5th round.  He has the size and possibly the skill set to be a full-time back without much competition in front of him.  Rookie running backs are inherently risky.  It takes more than just talent for a rookie running back to earn a big role.  Pass protection and understanding the playbook are not easy things to master.  Teams are hesitant to put too much on a rookie running back's plate unless he is special.  I think people have on rose-colored glasses with this year's rookie running backs because of how good last year's crop performed.

they are talking about thompson possibly being out till november right now in washington...which could lead to guice getting more work than anticipated in the passing game...at least early....and you cant deny washington has some weapons on offense if reed can stay healthy and doctson can do the same and improve.....with smith at the helm they could move the ball pretty well...biggest key for them is the offensive line staying healthy...if things go fairly well for the skins health wise i think he can be a nice grab even with an ADP of 37....

when you talk about a bad offensive line you arent projecting...you are totally going by what happened previously.......now im not saying seattle is going to have a great offensive line....but theres certainly some talent and a bunch of fairly high draft picks on it......with a new addition at guard and a new OL coach......fluker, brown(granted hes getting older) and ifedi are all 1st rounders and pocic i think is a 2nd rounder......theres talent...ifedi needs to get better....but theres certainly room for them to grow and improve and it could happen....when i think of projected bad OL's and how it stunted a rbs fantasy draft potential i think back a few years ago 2016 and shady mccoy...he could be had in the 3rd round...i know because i took him...and when i looked as his OL and his run schedule i was not excited...in fact i took him more out of neccessity than i did want.....because i had already taken a receiver and RBs were flying .......i know alot of people like to attribute his running lanes to the threat of tyrod out there and the misdirection they ran.....but their offensive line was consistently rated in the 28-32 range on the two sites i use for reference...with bad schedules against the run too....he scored 13tds and averaged 5.4...im not saying thats what will penny will do obviously...just saying ....sometimes you have to project, and see, the potential for improvement......to me thats how you win in competitive high stakes ff.....going off last years results or history just isnt for me......i think seattles OL can improve....it cant get much worse

i totally understand that rookie rbs just dont get handed jobs.....but they are breaking through more and more easily........i think the group of guice, penny and jones are priced about right....im sure at least one of them will be a major bust this year...but i think they are priced pretty fairly....and if one gets a little juice going during the summer the price will go up

i remember i won a high stakes league a few years ago where i took gurley as my 1st RB in the 4th round in his rookie year and had to wait a month before i could even use him! certainly now you are getting less talented backs at that juncture

46 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

FYI..i. like freeman a bit too....i honestly dont think hes special but i also dont think booker is anything...freeman may get the work by default almost...and i think denver could be much improved if keenum can repeat his success....so freeman might be a very nice value....denvers offensive line is also kind of a problem though....i actually think seattles could outperform them.......i like d thomas to have a nice bounceback year though...i could see him giving you WR1 returns in the 3rd/4th...id love to nab him in the 4th this year

18 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

when you talk about a bad offensive line you arent projecting...you are totally going by what happened previously.

Offensive lines can change unexpectedly and dramatically.  The Rams were projected to be the 18th best offensive line last season but ended up ranked 6th.  The Patriots were projected to be the 19th best offensive line but ended up 3rd.  But generally, offensive lines end up finishing close to their projected ranking.

Here are PFF's 2018 projected rankings for the offensive lines of the above discussed rookie running backs:

12th Washington Redskins

19th Denver Broncos

22nd Tampa Bay Buccaneers

30th Seattle Seahawks

Here are PFF's 2017's projected rankings, 2017's final rankings, and 2018's projected rankings for offensive lines:

('17 Proj) '17 Final ('18 Proj)

Eagles (1st) 1st (1st)

Falcons (6th) 2nd (3rd)

Patriots (19th) 3rd (11th)

Cowboys (9th) 4th (2nd)

Titans (4th) 5th (5th)

Rams (18th) 6th (10th)

Bills (10th) 7th (29th)

Raiders (7th) 8th (7th)

Saints (16th) 9th (6th)

Panthers (12th) 10th (21st)

Bears (5th) 11th (13th)

Steelers (3rd) 12th (4th)

Packers (8th) 13th (9th)

Browns (2nd) 14th (14th)

Jaguars (13th) 15th (15th)

Chiefs (15th) 16th (18th)

Buccaneers (30th) 17th (22nd)

Ravens (23rd) 18th (24th)

Lions (24th) 19th (8th)

49ers (27th) 20th (16th)

Redskins (11th) 21st (12th)

Vikings (14th) 22nd (28th)

Broncos (25th) 23rd (19th)

Chargers (21st) 24th (23rd)

Colts (22nd) 25th (17th)

Giants (28th) 26th (25th)

Seahawks (32nd) 27th (30th)

Bengals (31st) 28th (26th)

Dolphins (26th) 29th (20th)

Jets (20th) 30th (31st)

Cardinals (17th) 31st (27th)

Texans (29th) 32nd (32nd)

Edited by michaelredd9

9 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Offensive lines can change unexpectedly and dramatically.  The Rams were projected to be the 18th best offensive line last season but ended up ranked 6th.  The Patriots were projected to be the 19th best offensive line but ended up 3rd.  But generally, offensive lines end up finishing close to their projected ranking.

Here are PFF's 2018 projected rankings for the offensive lines of the above discussed rookie running backs:

12th Washington Redskins

19th Denver Broncos

22nd Tampa Bay Buccaneers

30th Seattle Seahawks

Here are PFF's 2017's projected rankings, 2017's final rankings, and 2018's projected rankings for offensive lines:

('17 Proj) '17 Final ('18 Proj)

Eagles (1st) 1st (1st)

Falcons (6th) 2nd (3rd)

Patriots (19th) 3rd (11th)

Cowboys (9th) 4th (2nd)

Titans (4th) 5th (5th)

Rams (18th) 6th (10th)

Bills (10th) 7th (29th)

Raiders (7th) 8th (7th)

Saints (16th) 9th (6th)

Panthers (12th) 10th (21st)

Bears (5th) 11th (13th)

Steelers (3rd) 12th (4th)

Packers (8th) 13th (9th)

Browns (2nd) 14th (14th)

Jaguars (13th) 15th (15th)

Chiefs (15th) 16th (18th)

Buccaneers (30th) 17th (22nd)

Ravens (23rd) 18th (24th)

Lions (24th) 19th (8th)

49ers (27th) 20th (16th)

Redskins (11th) 21st (12th)

Vikings (14th) 22nd (28th)

Broncos (25th) 23rd (19th)

Chargers (21st) 24th (23rd)

Colts (22nd) 25th (17th)

Giants (28th) 26th (25th)

Seahawks (32nd) 27th (30th)

Bengals (31st) 28th (26th)

Dolphins (26th) 29th (20th)

Jets (20th) 30th (31st)

Cardinals (17th) 31st (27th)

Texans (29th) 32nd (32nd)

trust me...i made a thread last year before the season championing the bounce back year of gurley(not sure if you remember ...but i can repost)and part of the reason was i expected improvement from that line(obviously an addition of whitworth made it easier to project)

like ive said before....they have 3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder on it....graned brown is getting a little long in  the tooth...and ifedi needs to show major improvement....but ifedi has the phyiscal tools.....they brought fluker in and his offensive line coach from NY.....they could see an improvement....and as long as baldwin is healthy they have an MVP candidate qb who can beat you two ways.....

you mentioned the rams and pats last year...but even a team like tampa made a nice jump...also a few sizable regressions as well.....anything can happen year to year...i have seattles run schedule rated about middle of the pack so that doesnt really seem to be a major factor to sway me in either direction....but im def not scared about getting a piece of penny around the 4th/5th or carson later depending on how the summer goes