[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon won't be with Browns for start of camp

stevegrab

Odd, this sounds like a voluntary action by Gordon to "to focus on his overall mental and physical health"  The article goes on to say the NFL was asked and he is not suspended, but it also includes some odd statements from NFL rep Brian McCarthy.

There is currently 'no timetable for his return,' NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy also told cleveland.com.

"We'll address the matter at the appropriate time,'' said McCarthy. 

If he is not suspended, if he has not failed a drug test and is facing some future suspension, or the dreaded lifetime ban, why is the NFL making any kind of statement other than "he was not suspended". 

Guess the Browns and their fans are proven once again to be fools for counting on Josh Gordon to change. If he's really got a serious addiction or other problem its time to step away from football and get your life in order away from the spotlight.

Plain Dealer article

Following his announcement that he won't be attending the start of Cleveland Browns training camp later this week, little else has been revealed regarding Josh Gordon's unexpected absence.

This much, however, appears to be clear: the former All-Pro hasn't failed another drug test, nor is he in danger of being suspended. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Gordon's leave is "a pro-active, defensive gesture to get extra counseling to try to ensure he does not have any of the setbacks that have marked his past."

Added Schefter: "Those who know him say he has 'worked his a— off.'"

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero corroborated Schefter's report, stating that per a source, Gordon is "absolutely not suspended" and that the Browns have "no plans" to move on from the 2013 Pro Bowl selection.

Ok, can somebody clarify something I read elsewhere, somebody said the NFL still needs to give him approval, reinstate him or something, before he can participate in training camp. Is that true?  Is there a related drug test upcoming?

Another rumor I'm hearing is this is all a ploy to hide Josh from Hard Knocks, then bring him back in later and participate. Does that sound plausible?

Some are saying this is just like another year, he was allowed to return, ready to return, then he checked himself into rehab to avoid failing more drug tests and being suspended again. 

What a giant mess, I have no faith in Josh being or staying clean, and providing real long term value to the Browns. 

Thanks Loaf, forgot about that, and that he did show up and play a few games in 2017. Just baffling to hear the stuff from the NFL rep, why are they commenting on his timeline and such? 

According to a source (mentioned in Huddle news) Gordon "is in no danger of being released by the Browns"  No worries, not like the Browns have a new offense, new QB, new coaches, other new parts of the offense. He'll just slide right into his old spot 

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Ok, can somebody clarify something I read elsewhere, somebody said the NFL still needs to give him approval, reinstate him or something, before he can participate in training camp. Is that true?  Is there a related drug test upcoming?

Another rumor I'm hearing is this is all a ploy to hide Josh from Hard Knocks, then bring him back in later and participate. Does that sound plausible?

Some are saying this is just like another year, he was allowed to return, ready to return, then he checked himself into rehab to avoid failing more drug tests and being suspended again. 

What a giant mess, I have no faith in Josh being or staying clean, and providing real long term value to the Browns. 

I seriously doubt this is an attempt for him to avoid Hard Knocks. I think this is just Josh owning up to the fact he has an addiction and he's receiving additional help. Being an alcoholic, I find this extremely admirable that he knows he might need additional counseling. I applaud him for doing this.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tazinib1 said:

I seriously doubt this is an attempt for him to avoid Hard Knocks. I think this is just Josh owning up to the fact he has an addiction and he's receiving additional help. Being an alcoholic, I find this extremely admirable that he knows he might need additional counseling. I applaud him for doing this.  

Could all be true, just hard to trust much of anything with Josh, and all the talk by the NFL just muddies the situation. If Josh said to the Browns "listen I'm getting that itch to get high, I'm going to go for some more counseling and return when I'm ready" why does the NFL need to say anything?  Of course I'd also wish he did this a few weeks ago, so he was ready for the start of training camp, not show up a few weeks later, or just before the season starts. 

Sounds to me like his going back for more counseling is somehow triggering the NFL policies regarding his reinstatement, so they're now talking about timelines and making a statement later at the appropriate time. 

The latest info I saw on Huddle news (below) that Gordon needs to petition for reinstatement and get approval from Goodell is not a good sign. It does explain why the NFL representative said what they did a few days ago (no timeline, we'll address it later when appropriate). 

Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon will be required to make a written request to the team for reinstatement, and Commissioner Roger Goodell would need to approve it, according to a league source. GM John Dorsey, who would not comment when asked if Gordon could be facing a suspension, did acknowledge on Wednesday, July 25, that he doesn't know when Gordon will rejoin the team.

Huddle Up: There's a whole lot not being said right now, and it's starting to muddy the waters as to Gordon's outlook for 2018. His upside is obviously enticing, and if things get resolved in a timely fashion he's a borderline top-20 option. The longer this drags out, however, the bigger the downside becomes. This is definitely a story to keep an eye on given Gordon's history and the lack of concrete information available.

I wonder if this is about money.  Gordon is entering what should be his 7th season and he is due to make $790,000.  He knows that there would be a lot of fan backlash if he came out publicly that he was holding out for more money.  Neither he nor the Browns want the fan backlash.  He might be asking for a bump up in pay to something like $7 million this year or a 2-year/$20 million contract.  He has gotten the shaft a bit.  In 2014, he returned after a 10-game suspension but the Browns suspended him for the final game of the season for violating team rules.  If he had played the final game, he would have played 6 games and accrued a season.  Last year, he also only played 5 games and so he didn't accrue a season.  So he is set to be a restricted free agent next year and an unrestricted free agent in 2020.  He has done nothing violent.  He is dealing with a lot of financial punishment for smoking green corn.  If the Browns aren't willing to renegotiate his contract, it might be within his financial best interests to skip the first 10 games of this year and next year to avoid injury.

• Like 1

Get the F&^% out of here, more money? Josh has been screwed?

He's repeatedly broken the rules and lied about it. He iz the one screwing his team and the fans.

Delusional Josh might believe this, not sure how any rational person could.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Get the F&^% out of here, more money? Josh has been screwed?

He's repeatedly broken the rules and lied about it. He iz the one screwing his team and the fans.

Delusional Josh might believe this, not sure how any rational person could.

You sure are angry a lot lately.  Has your boss been stealing your Red Swingline Stapler?  Which sounds better, Stevecrab or Stevecrabby?

On 7/28/2018 at 9:05 AM, michaelredd9 said:

I wonder if this is about money.  Gordon is entering what should be his 7th season and he is due to make $790,000.  He knows that there would be a lot of fan backlash if he came out publicly that he was holding out for more money.  Neither he nor the Browns want the fan backlash.  He might be asking for a bump up in pay to something like $7 million this year or a 2-year/$20 million contract.  He has gotten the shaft a bit.  In 2014, he returned after a 10-game suspension but the Browns suspended him for the final game of the season for violating team rules.  If he had played the final game, he would have played 6 games and accrued a season.  Last year, he also only played 5 games and so he didn't accrue a season.  So he is set to be a restricted free agent next year and an unrestricted free agent in 2020.  He has done nothing violent.  He is dealing with a lot of financial punishment for smoking green corn.  If the Browns aren't willing to renegotiate his contract, it might be within his financial best interests to skip the first 10 games of this year and next year to avoid injury.

Yeah that's a little crazy.  He has to prove that he can be a good teammate and productive player long before he considers any kind of holdout.  A few games or even 1 year of being good doesn't give him any leverage.  It would be a massive mistake for him to holdout.

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

You sure are angry a lot lately.  Has your boss been stealing your Red Swingline Stapler?  Which sounds better, Stevecrab or Stevecrabby?

You seem to post a lot of odd stuff, and that talk of Josh wanting more money and being screwed is some crazy manure.  So why do you believe it? Or was it just interesting speculation you were offering up as cannon fodder?

still have my stapler, cannot recall the last time I used it though. 

1 hour ago, NAUgrad said:

It would be a massive mistake for him to holdout.

If it works and they readjust his contract, it won't have been a mistake.  Even if he gets a handshake agreement that they'll take care of him next off-season, it won't have been a mistake.  If he plays for $790,000 and tears his knee up, that will have been a mistake.  He would get at least $10 million per season on the open market.  He already gave the Browns a season that was worth $20 million.  I can understand him not wanting to wait until his 9th season to play for more than peanuts.  All he did is smoke the pot (repeatedly) and get a DUI.  He also broke a team rule that was supposedly serious enough for him to lose the accruing of an entire year toward free agency.  I'm sure Josh holds a lot of resentment towards Jimmy Haslam for that draconian punishment.  He has already been over punished by the league and probably the Browns.  He doesn't need to keep atoning for his sins.  He doesn't owe Jimmy Haslam anything.  He doesn't owe the Browns' fans anything.  He did some stupid things and has paid the price and then some.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

If it works and they readjust his contract, it won't have been a mistake.  Even if he gets a handshake agreement that they'll take care of him next off-season, it won't have been a mistake.  If he plays for $790,000 and tears his knee up, that will have been a mistake.  He would get at least $10 million per season on the open market.  He already gave the Browns a season that was worth $20 million.  I can understand him not wanting to wait until his 9th season to play for more than peanuts.  All he did is smoke the pot (repeatedly) and get a DUI.  He also broke a team rule that was supposedly serious enough for him to lose the accruing of an entire year toward free agency.  I'm sure Josh holds a lot of resentment towards Jimmy Haslam for that draconian punishment.  He has already been over punished by the league and probably the Browns.  He doesn't need to keep atoning for his sins.  He doesn't owe Jimmy Haslam anything.  He doesn't owe the Browns' fans anything.  He did some stupid things and has paid the price and then some.

No way that happens without an actual season played.  That $20 mil season was 2013.   These posts are click bait. 

Edited by Def.
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Def. said:

No way that happens without an actual season played.  That $20 mil season was 2013.   These posts are click bait. 

Josh Gordon looked great last year.  He would have easily gotten a contract making $10 million per season this off-season if he had been an unrestricted free agent.  Although, there would have been little or no guaranteed money and tons of offset language.  $10 million per year doesn't mean much if there isn't a signing bonus.  Sammy Watkins got a 3-year/$48 million contract with $30 million guaranteed.  Wide receivers that are difference-makers get paid.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Sammy Watkins isn't constantly in jeopardy of missing entire seasons or having his career over. 

:rolleyes: 

Teams don't pay anything to suspended players.  There is zero financial risk to the team if he has a contract with no guaranteed money.  He would only get paid if he played.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Teams don't pay anything to suspended players.  There is zero financial risk to the team if he has a contract with no guaranteed money.  He would only get paid if he played.

Who cares about the financial issue, the player is not somebody you can count on to be part of your team. Why would you offer him MORE MONEY than you're paying him now?  What team would offer Gordon the kind of money you think he should be getting? 

I have to agree, with the other poster, I'm starting to think many of your outlandish posts are just trolling, or trying to stir up some conversation in a place that is nearly dead at times. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Who cares about the financial issue, the player is not somebody you can count on to be part of your team. Why would you offer him MORE MONEY than you're paying him now? 

I have not once said what I think the Browns should do.  All of my posts have been from Josh's perspective.  If I were the Browns, I would probably not pay him until next year.  If I really wanted to win this year, I might give him $3 million or $4 million to get him to play.  If I were the Falcons, I would not have redone Julio's deal.  If I were the Packers, I would not redo Aaron Rodgers deal.  If I were the Giants, I would not redo Odell's deal.  If I were the Patriots, I would not redo Gronk's deal.  If I were the Seahawks, I would not redo Earl Thomas' deal.  I understand all of these players trying to get more money.  I understand their teams not wanting to give money until they have 1 year left on their contract or until the player is an unrestricted free agent.  I think the Falcons are crazy for giving Julio more money when he has three years left on his contract that averaged $14.25 million per year.

Josh Gordon is a stud.  He is getting paid $790,000 in his 7th season.  He has already lost $30-$50 million with his suspensions.  I can understand him playing hardball to get paid.  Why would he play for 5% of what he is worth and risk injury?  Because Stevecrab the Browns fan got his feelings hurt by his suspensions and therefore you think he owes you something?

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

What team would offer Gordon the kind of money you think he should be getting? 

Probably about half the league.  But it only takes 1 team to pay him.  Or maybe 2 teams to bid against each other.  Jerry Jones would love to give him a mega-contract right now.  Owners and general managers don't view the value of players similarly to your average football fan posting on a fantasy football message board.  They don't get their feelings hurt and hold grudges.  They want to win and are willing to pay players with checkered pasts to achieve their desire to win.

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I have to agree, with the other poster, I'm starting to think many of your outlandish posts are just trolling, or trying to stir up some conversation in a place that is nearly dead at times. 

I do not troll.  If I post it, I mean it.  I'm done.  Go bicker with one of your regular bickering mates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

I have not once said what I think the Browns should do.  All of my posts have been from Josh's perspective.  If I were the Browns, I would probably not pay him until next year.  If I really wanted to win this year, I might give him $3 million or $4 million to get him to play.  If I were the Falcons, I would not have redone Julio's deal.  If I were the Packers, I would not redo Aaron Rodgers deal.  If I were the Giants, I would not redo Odell's deal.  If I were the Patriots, I would not redo Gronk's deal.  If I were the Seahawks, I would not redo Earl Thomas' deal.  I understand all of these players trying to get more money.  I understand their teams not wanting to give money until they have 1 year left on their contract or until the player is an unrestricted free agent.  I think the Falcons are crazy for giving Julio more money when he has three years left on his contract that averaged $14.25 million per year.

Josh Gordon is a stud.  He is getting paid $790,000 in his 7th season.  He has already lost $30-$50 million with his suspensions.  I can understand him playing hardball to get paid.  Why would he play for 5% of what he is worth and risk injury?  Because Stevecrab the Browns fan got his feelings hurt by his suspensions and therefore you think he owes you something?

Probably about half the league.  But it only takes 1 team to pay him.  Or maybe 2 teams to bid against each other.  Jerry Jones would love to give him a mega-contract right now.  Owners and general managers don't view the value of players similarly to your average football fan posting on a fantasy football message board.  They don't get their feelings hurt and hold grudges.  They want to win and are willing to pay players with checkered pasts to achieve their desire to win.

You make a good argument for his case but I still don't see it.  If he holds out for more money when he's done nothing but hurt himself and his team with his own actions then I think his career is over.  He has way more to gain by playing under his current contract and be the "good soldier" then playing hardball.  If he hasn't figured that out after 7 years in the league then he is not someone I want in the locker room.  It's not hard to stay out of trouble if your career depends on it.  He's costing his own career, no one else is causing his issues.  A hold out now would further push his lack of professionalism toward the trade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NAUgrad said:

You make a good argument for his case

Actually, I'm honestly curious about...

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Josh Gordon is a stud. 

I remember his current play being...inconsistent.  Now I'm not going to say that's all Gordon cause it takes a team, but I'm also not willing to buy stud status based off 2013 either.  Is the potential there?  It happened before so of course.  Will it happen again?  I'm very skeptical. 

• Like 1