[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon won't be with Browns for start of camp

stevegrab

On 7/30/2018 at 1:18 PM, michaelredd9 said:

If it works and they readjust his contract, it won't have been a mistake.  Even if he gets a handshake agreement that they'll take care of him next off-season, it won't have been a mistake.  If he plays for $790,000 and tears his knee up, that will have been a mistake.  He would get at least $10 million per season on the open market.  He already gave the Browns a season that was worth $20 million.  I can understand him not wanting to wait until his 9th season to play for more than peanuts.  All he did is smoke the pot (repeatedly) and get a DUI.  He also broke a team rule that was supposedly serious enough for him to lose the accruing of an entire year toward free agency.  I'm sure Josh holds a lot of resentment towards Jimmy Haslam for that draconian punishment.  He has already been over punished by the league and probably the Browns.  He doesn't need to keep atoning for his sins.  He doesn't owe Jimmy Haslam anything.  He doesn't owe the Browns' fans anything.  He did some stupid things and has paid the price and then some.

+1

22 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I have not once said what I think the Browns should do.  All of my posts have been from Josh's perspective.  If I were the Browns, I would probably not pay him until next year.  If I really wanted to win this year, I might give him $3 million or $4 million to get him to play.  If I were the Falcons, I would not have redone Julio's deal.  If I were the Packers, I would not redo Aaron Rodgers deal.  If I were the Giants, I would not redo Odell's deal.  If I were the Patriots, I would not redo Gronk's deal.  If I were the Seahawks, I would not redo Earl Thomas' deal.  I understand all of these players trying to get more money.  I understand their teams not wanting to give money until they have 1 year left on their contract or until the player is an unrestricted free agent.  I think the Falcons are crazy for giving Julio more money when he has three years left on his contract that averaged $14.25 million per year.

Josh Gordon is a stud.  He is getting paid $790,000 in his 7th season.  He has already lost $30-$50 million with his suspensions.  I can understand him playing hardball to get paid.  Why would he play for 5% of what he is worth and risk injury?  Because Stevecrab the Browns fan got his feelings hurt by his suspensions and therefore you think he owes you something?

Probably about half the league.  But it only takes 1 team to pay him.  Or maybe 2 teams to bid against each other.  Jerry Jones would love to give him a mega-contract right now.  Owners and general managers don't view the value of players similarly to your average football fan posting on a fantasy football message board.  They don't get their feelings hurt and hold grudges.  They want to win and are willing to pay players with checkered pasts to achieve their desire to win.

I do not troll.  If I post it, I mean it.  I'm done.  Go bicker with one of your regular bickering mates.

So you don't think the Browns should give him more, but you think he's right to try and hold out to get paid more, or some guarantee for the future.

Then you have this nugget, "He is getting paid $790,000 in his 7th season."  what 7th season, more like 4th season after 2 full seasons then 10 games over the next 4 seasons, 2.5 games a year, barely over half a season. If he wasn't a flake being suspended many times he'd have finished his rookie contract and making much more money long ago. 

And you want to compare Gordon and the Browns situation to what other teams are or have been doing with players like Julio, Rodgers, Gronk, Odell  :rolleyes: 

This isn't about my feelings as a fan, this is about a guy that is unreliable, who is pouting because he pissed smoked away 4 years of his career and earning potential. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 8:39 PM, loaf said:

yes he is...and all everyone wants to talk about is Dez leaving without a contract...

I'm glad Dez left, just don't see the appeal for a rebuilding team with other young WR who need time to learn and improve, and troubled WR like Josh and Callaway. He won't be #1 here, maybe not even #2, really takes away from Higgins and others. And after his 1 year deal is up how are the Browns better for 2019?  And how much benefit was it for the team in 2018, winning games developing other players. 

Gordon is in camp, but not ready(allowed) to practice yet. He needs to get the green light from his medical team and the Browns. He seems to be in good shape, and good spirits. Sounds like barring a set back he is ready to go for the season opener. 

4 hours ago, indyrckstar said:

I'm a sucker with planning to draft Josh Gordon.  I still believe into the hype and pray he avoids any off field issues once game one starts.

ill admit...watching him jog across that practice field on hard knocks last night looking tall and strong made me think about him again

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

ill admit...watching him jog across that practice field on hard knocks last night looking tall and strong made me think about him again

I may not look any different than I did 5 years ago, but I guarantee there's a difference.  Its a hard buy at his current ADP, like most I'll be avoiding unless he drops a good bit.  

4 hours ago, Def. said:

I may not look any different than I did 5 years ago, but I guarantee there's a difference.  Its a hard buy at his current ADP, like most I'll be avoiding unless he drops a good bit.  

yeah i hear you...you are most likely right...just saying...dude looked like the same beast...but i guess thats to be expected.....still hasnt played a down of football in some time so yeah ur right .....

16 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

Sounds like you might need a cigarett..........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NAUgrad said:

Sounds like you might need a cigarett..........

lol...leave it to this place to find homosexual undertones in the statement....and its funny

but honestly....it had been some time since id seen him on a football field or in the facility.....and he looked strong and lean....still looked like a beast...just made me wonder if I should consider him at the right price...but prob will just toss him off my board most likely

5 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

lol...leave it to this place to find homosexual undertones in the statement....and its funny

but honestly....it had been some time since id seen him on a football field or in the facility.....and he looked strong and lean....still looked like a beast...just made me wonder if I should consider him at the right price...but prob will just toss him off my board most likely

I'll bite if he's there late.  Love high risk high reward players.  Sometimes I get a little to dialed in on the high reward side and get myself in trouble.

• Like 1

Jarvis Landry is a possession receiver who gets a lot of statistics while not getting a lot of defensive attention.  He is neither big nor fast.  He is a tough somafabitch who is going to scratch and claw to get his catches.  Defenses will single team him.  Josh Gordon, on the other hand, will get a ton of defensive attention.  He will be double and triple teamed.  Tyrod Taylor's lack of arm talent and risk averse tendencies will have him throwing to Landry over Gordon.  I love Tyrod but I don't think he has the ability to produce 2 elite fantasy wide receivers.  I put Landry at 80 catches and Gordon at 60 catches.  Gordon could still be the better fantasy scorer with more touchdowns and a longer yards per reception.

I hope Gordon starts slowly.  I will try to trade for him on the cheap in dynasty.  I think Gordon will shine when he has a creative gunslinger like Mayfield throwing to him.  Top 3 fantasy wide receiver in 2019.  This year, I think the 5th round is the earliest I will consider him.  He is a player who will fairly often fall to the 5th or even 6th round.

Edited by michaelredd9

On 8/24/2018 at 3:16 AM, michaelredd9 said:

Jarvis Landry is a possession receiver who gets a lot of statistics while not getting a lot of defensive attention.  He is neither big nor fast.  He is a tough somafabitch who is going to scratch and claw to get his catches.  Defenses will single team him.  Josh Gordon, on the other hand, will get a ton of defensive attention.  He will be double and triple teamed.  Tyrod Taylor's lack of arm talent and risk averse tendencies will have him throwing to Landry over Gordon.  I love Tyrod but I don't think he has the ability to produce 2 elite fantasy wide receivers.  I put Landry at 80 catches and Gordon at 60 catches.  Gordon could still be the better fantasy scorer with more touchdowns and a longer yards per reception.

I hope Gordon starts slowly.  I will try to trade for him on the cheap in dynasty.  I think Gordon will shine when he has a creative gunslinger like Mayfield throwing to him.  Top 3 fantasy wide receiver in 2019.  This year, I think the 5th round is the earliest I will consider him.  He is a player who will fairly often fall to the 5th or even 6th round.

Top 3 in 2019 ?

Let's see if 

A) Josh can stay clean and play a full season 

B) Mayfield can be a quality NFL QB

Our keeper league has 5 players protected on each team, so our 1st round is the usual 6th in redraft, I doubt Gordon goes in the first 2 rounds of our draft. (Maybe because many of us are jaded Browns fans.)

18 hours ago, LordOpie said:

is this a 6-owner league?

12 teams,so 60 players protected. The first round will be mostly rookie RBs, other top unprotected RB, some top WRs for teams that didn't protect 3.  Maybe a top QB for one of the few teams that didn't protect one. 

I could be wrong, Gordon could go in our first round, I see one site (not The Huddle) showing his ADP way above his ranking (WR35 but with a late 4th ADP, while other WR in that range have ADP in rounds 8-9.

• 3 weeks later...