[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Courtland Sutton

michaelredd9

I have trouble believing that Sutton will do much if Thomas and Sanders are healthy.  Although, having a new quarterback does take away a bit of the veteran advantage.  Regardless, this is nice news for dynasty.  And an injury to Thomas or Sanders could change Sutton's redraft potential considerably.

Rookie Sutton already claiming Broncos' No. 3 WR job?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000944493/article/rookie-sutton-already-claiming-broncos-no-3-wr-job

While Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders have been established as one of the league's most productive receiving tandems, the Broncos have struggled to find a reliable third option in the aerial attack going back to the end of the Peyton Manning era.

Judging from the early indications out of Englewood this summer, the search is over.

Second-round rookie Courtland Sutton's penchant for pulling off highlight-reel catches has been "the talk of camp" early on, NFL Network's James Palmer reported on Friday's edition of Inside Training Camp Live.

The highest praise has come from Denver's veteran cornerbacks who told Palmer, "He is the third receiver. It's not even a competition. Everyone on this team knows it."

At 6-foot-3 with a wide enough body to box out defensive backs, Sutton is a godsend for a red-zone offense that ranked last in the NFL in 2017. Jump balls in his direction are not just 50-50 attempts, coach Vance Joseph emphasized, because Sutton plays even bigger than his size.

The one fly in the ointment is route running, which Denver's cornerbacks acknowledged isn't up to par just yet.

It's clear that Sutton has the edge over Carlos Henderson and fellow rookie DaeSean Hamilton for the No. 3 role, but week-to-week consistency will be an issue until quarterback Case Keenum trusts him to be where he's supposed to be on every route.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:59 AM, LordOpie said:

rumor is that DT will play slot a lot more than one would expect and become a target monster because Sutton is coming along well enough. Sutton doesn't need to be as polished on route running if he's on the outside with only a few routes. Also, keep an eye on RB phillip lindsay.

Hopefully DT can get back to 100/1400/10 type numbers like 2012-14.  Starting in 2-15 his numbers have slid backward, most disturbing is TD numbers cut in half, still around 90 rec and 1000 yards. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Hopefully DT can get back to 100/1400/10 type numbers like 2012-14.  Starting in 2-15 his numbers have slid backward, most disturbing is TD numbers cut in half, still around 90 rec and 1000 yards. 

ive actually had a quite a feeling that DT could get back there...quite a value at late 3rd/4th 

8 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

ive actually had a quite a feeling that DT could get back there...quite a value at late 3rd/4th 

I could be wrong, but if new Bronco QB Case Keenum is to favor anyone, I would suspect it would be a guy like Sanders, not Thomas.  

14 hours ago, darin3 said:

I could be wrong, but if new Bronco QB Case Keenum is to favor anyone, I would suspect it would be a guy like Sanders, not Thomas.  

Is that because Sanders is a possession receiver more similar to Thielen?  At first glance, Thielen looks like he had a better fantasy year than Diggs.  Thielen had 91 catches and 1,276 yards whereas Diggs only had 64 catches for 849 yards.  But Diggs had 8 touchdowns to Thielen's 4 touchdowns.  And Diggs missed 2 games with a groin injury.  So Thielen averaged 15.3 fantasy points per game and Diggs averaged 14.2 fantasy points per game in the regular season.  If you add the Vikings' 2 playoff games to the total, Thielen averaged 14.6 fantasy points per game in 18 games and Diggs averaged 15.0 points per game in 16 games.

Demaryius Thomas is a great receiver.  He finished as the 9th, 16th, and 16th highest scoring wide receiver over the last 3 years with some of the worst quarterbacking in the league.  Case Keenum is a big upgrade at quarterback.  Case was very fantasy-friendly to the Vikings' skill players last year.  Thielen and Diggs were the 11th and 13th highest scoring wide receivers in points per game and Kyle Rudolph was the 8th highest scoring tight end.  I think all aspects of the Broncos offense are going to benefit from the addition of Case.

Edited by michaelredd9

10 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Is that because Sanders is a possession receiver more similar to Thielen?  At first glance, Thielen looks like he had a better fantasy year than Diggs.  Thielen had 91 catches and 1,276 yards whereas Diggs only had 64 catches for 849 yards.  But Diggs had 8 touchdowns to Thielen's 4 touchdowns.  And Diggs missed 2 games with a groin injury.  So Thielen averaged 15.3 fantasy points per game and Diggs averaged 14.2 fantasy points per game in the regular season.  If you add the Vikings' 2 playoff games to the total, Thielen averaged 14.6 fantasy points per game in 18 games and Diggs averaged 15.0 points per game in 16 games.

Demaryius Thomas is a great receiver.  He finished as the 9th, 16th, and 16th highest scoring wide receiver over the last 3 years with some of the worst quarterbacking in the league.  Case Keenum is a big upgrade at quarterback.  Case was very fantasy-friendly to the Vikings' skill players last year.  Thielen and Diggs were the 11th and 13th highest scoring wide receivers in points per game and Kyle Rudolph was the 8th highest scoring tight end.  I think all aspects of the Broncos offense are going to benefit from the addition of Case.

Partially, plus adding in the way the Broncos offense will probably operate this year.  I don't think they will be as good as last season's Vikings.

I dunno, I am on the fence.  I could see a resurgence from DT... but wouldn't be shocked if he regresses. 

I'm surprised at how little love Case is receiving.  He was very good last year.  He did start slowly but that was to be expected since he hadn't practiced with the 1st stringers in the preseason.  Once he got going, he really got going.  He had better than a 100 quarterback rating in 6 of the last 8 games of the season.  He only had 23 total touchdowns on the season but had 16 touchdowns in the last 8 games and was the 5th highest scoring fantasy quarterback over that span.  His second half of the season was so strong that he ended up with second highest qbr on the season trailing only Carson Wentz.

It is too bad that Denver's defense is good.  A bad defense is a fantasy quarterback's best friend.  Denver has the receivers to put up big numbers if they are trailing.  But it looks like their defense isn't likely to let that happen.  The Vikings defense didn't let Case put up much garbage time stats either.  The Vikings trailed by more than 7 points only 2 times last year.  So it's not surprising that Case had 10 second quarter touchdowns but only 9 second half touchdowns.  The Vikings were almost always ahead in the second half and played conservatively.

Every year the quarterback position gets deeper.  There are 20 fantasy quarterbacks who are roster worthy this year.  I am totally comfortable starting 15 of those quarterbacks.  I see no reason to draft a quarterback before the 10th round.  In the 10th round, quarterbacks like Ben Roethlisberger, Marcus Mariota, Jimmy Garoppolo, Philip Rivers, Andrew Luck, and Matt Stafford can be available.  It isn't possible to know which ones will be available in round 10 but a couple of them will be available.  Case Keenum is available even later.  If I wait until rounds 10-12 to draft my first quarterback and there is a run on backup quarterbacks before I can grab a quarterback, Case Keenum is a nice fallback option.  His adp ranges from round 15 to round 20.  He is also a low-cost second quarterback to draft.  It is nice having 2 legit quarterbacks to be able to play matchups.  And it is easy to justify using the roster space since so little draft capital was used if your first quarterback is drafted in the 10th round.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1