[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rex Burkhead listed as starter

michaelredd9

Burkhead listed RB1 on Pats first depth chart

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/377744/burkhead-listed-rb1-on-pats-first-depth-chart?ls=roto:NE:topheadlines

Rex Burkhead is listed ahead of rookie Sony Michel on the Patriots' first unofficial depth chart.

Burkhead was always going to play an integral role in New England's offensive game plan and being listed as the team's starting back only confirms that notion. James White is listed as the other starter with free agent acquisition Jeremy Hill slotting in as No. 3 ahead of Mike Gillislee. Whether Michel (knee) is ready to go in Week 1 or not, Burkhead's seventh-round ADP is sure to skyrocket in the coming weeks.
Aug 5 - 1:22 PM

I have trouble believing that Burkhead is what Belichick wants in his main ball carrier.  He seems more of a Swiss Army knife guy having a passing down role on offense.  Although I didn't think Dion Lewis was what Belichick wanted in his main ball carrier either.  If Michel doesn't get the job, I think either Jeremy Hill or Mike Gillislee will end up getting the 1st and 2nd down carries.  My guess is that Jeremy Hill has the better chance to win that job.

It'll be interesting how soon Michel can win the starting job if he misses all of the preseason.  My guess is mid-season would be quickest.  But it could be a lost year.  Belichick isn't going to put a player on the field who he doesn't trust.  I'm not touching Michel in any drafts unless he falls dramatically.

22 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I have trouble believing that Burkhead is what Belichick wants in his main ball carrier.  He seems more of a Swiss Army knife guy having a passing down role on offense.  Although I didn't think Dion Lewis was what Belichick wanted in his main ball carrier either.  If Michel doesn't get the job, I think either Jeremy Hill or Mike Gillislee will end up getting the 1st and 2nd down carries.  My guess is that Jeremy Hill has the better chance to win that job.

Totally agree. If Michel can't get any pre-season action then this is gonna be the usual RB poop show in NE and I won't touch this backfield with a 40ft pole.

The ideal scenario is that Michel gets cheap in drafts, you can take a flyer on him and then it becomes very clear in the first 3-4 weeks how it'll break. He was what, 4th round ADP or something like that? If he falls into the 7th or 8th round then why not take a shot?

ETA: looks like he's recently closer to 6th round in non-PPR. Falling a couple more rounds would make him worth the risk.

Edited by stethant
add info
  • Like 1

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I could see Burkhead taking the majority of the snaps for this offense.  He can run inside and outside and can catch the ball out of the backfield.  This offense typically had a "thunder and lightning" type of deal but Burkhead can do both.

Jeremy Hill is JAG.  James White will get some work but I am going to hold out hope that Burkhead is the main guy.  We'll see.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:52 PM, darin3 said:

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I could see Burkhead taking the majority of the snaps for this offense.  He can run inside and outside and can catch the ball out of the backfield.  This offense typically had a "thunder and lightning" type of deal but Burkhead can do both.

Burkhead does have some power but he isn't a good rusher.  His 4.73 40 time is probably the culprit.  He averaged 4.1 ypc last year running behind the offensive line that PFF ranked 3rd in the league.  PFF gave Burkhead a run grade of 59.0 last year.  He did get a pass block grade of 79.8 and a receiving grade of 85.1.  He is Brandon Bolden but with receiving skills.  Belichick probably loves him and he will have a role because of his passing game skills.  Belichick might even let him be the main ball carrier for a couple of games as a reward for embodying "the Patriot Way".  But Belichick likes to have a more effective run game than Burkhead can provide.  His adp has risen from the 7th round to the 5th round since the Sony Michel injury.  I think the earliest I would consider drafting him is the 12th round.

Edited by michaelredd9

12 minutes ago, Cowboyz1 said:

Can never trust Belichange to do what anyone expects. He could have 3 backs for 3 downs. Gill will play a lot as will white. I would own White and Gill probably.

not so sure "gill" makes the team....they might keep him around with the statuses of Michel and burkhead uncertain right now....but if all are healthy he might be out....bolden keeps sticking around because of his special teams prowess....

6 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

burkhead, burkhead, burkhead.....sony, sony, sony

Michel having fluid drained from knee...burkhead with a tear in his that hes going to play through

meanwhile james white keeps trucking along......I think he might be the real value here

Love this guy in full PPR leagues.  Brady loves him.