LordOpie

did you buy high on McKinnon this off-season?

Jerick McKinnon (right knee) will receive an MRI Sunday.

McKinnon stayed down holding the back of his knee following a hit Sunday. He was helped off by trainers and remained on the sidelines for the rest of practice. Although he was seen signing autographs on his way back to the locker room, the 49ers immediately announced that he'll go for an MRI on his right knee. The team is already without RB Matt Breida (shoulder) until Week 1. Stay tuned for updates.
Related: 49ers

Aug 12 - 4:09 PM

MRI showed "no significant damage".

good news! 

That would have sucked to lose another starting RB to season ending injury.

Posted (edited)

Someone has to explain the appeal of McKinnon at his current ADP. He's never handled a full load, he's not the biggest back, and even at the end of last year it was Latavius getting work near the goal line. Why won't that happen this year with SF?

Honestly it's the size of his contract I think that has people so interested. I get that people want him to be the next Devontae Freeman but his record suggests nowhere near that level of talent. 

What am I missing?

ETA: sorry to be so negative - I'm very glad he's ok. just feel like his current ADP is a trap.

Edited by stethant
add info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stethant said:

Someone has to explain the appeal of McKinnon at his current ADP. He's never handled a full load, he's not the biggest back, and even at the end of last year it was Latavius getting work near the goal line. Why won't that happen this year with SF?

Honestly it's the size of his contract I think that has people so interested. I get that people want him to be the next Devontae Freeman but his record suggests nowhere near that level of talent. 

What am I missing?

ETA: sorry to be so negative - I'm very glad he's ok. just feel like his current ADP is a trap.

SPARQ!

Oddly, with a recently concluded draft, I got both Chris Thompson and Matt Breida. I realize both are dinged up but...

I'm torn on McKinnon.  I hate drafting a player based on situation.  It isn't often that a player who wasn't good enough to be "the guy" on one team suddenly blossoms on another team just because it was a good situation.  Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.  But he is a great receiver and Shanahan produces fantasy elite running backs.  I wish he was available in the 5th round.  Where he is being drafted, I'd rather have Joe Mixon.  Mixon has the body type that can handle a workhorse load.

Priest Holmes comes to mind.  I will be taking a chance on him, but not early for sure.  Round 5 sounds about right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NAUgrad said:

Priest Holmes comes to mind.  I will be taking a chance on him, but not early for sure.  Round 5 sounds about right.

I was lucky to get Holmes for a couple years when he was at the top.

I can see McKinnon being a contributor in both run/pass due to the system he is moving to.

I agree, if he falls late, I too would take him.  Hopefully no more injuries this preseason.

He is someone I would be very comfortable with as a RB2 in ppr.  I believe he will post better numbers than last year (while sharing time with murray).  No, not a bell cow type back but heavy pass catcher.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, NAUgrad said:

Priest is a great example.  Michael Turner came to mind but he looked awesome at San Diego so his blossoming in Atlanta wasn't a surprise.

Edited by michaelredd9

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Priest is a great example.  Michael Turner came to mind but he looked awesome at San Diego so his blossoming in Atlanta wasn't a surprise.

I guess to your point it's pretty rare but does happen.  Forgot about Turner.  I just love McKinnon's opportunity and the kind of player he is.  Especially in a PPR.

18 hours ago, NAUgrad said:

Round 5 sounds about right.

Not sure you're going to see this happen, even in a 10-man standard I don't think he'll last past the 3rd. 

• Like 1

I don't know about him, I agree just because you change teams (better situation) you become better.   He never seemed to do much in Minny.  It may be a time share thing just not worth a 4 or early 5th round too me.  Changing subjects, I do like Goodwin a lot.  Not sure where is ADP is.

I really like Breida at his ADP, especially since he is hurt yet unlikely to miss regular season action. After Jimmy G. got to San Fran last year, the 49ers RBs averaged 27 carries per game (it was a few carries per game lower prior to Jimmy G because the offense ran fewer plays per game). A 60/40 split would mean something close to 16 carries for McKinnon, 11 for Breida. That would put McKinnon just over 250 carries for the year if he holds up. But the monster upside is with the combined PPR and TD opportunity, as McKinnon is certain to get most goalline work. If he gets 60 catches, goes over 1,200 total yards, and gets to double digit TDs, he is going to be an RB1. He can get to those numbers averaging a pedestrian 3.8 ypc too. And we're talking with a 60% share, not a bellcow workload. 

Despite McKinnon losing work to Latavius Murray last year, there's a certain amount of trust and respect that you have to give Kyle Shanahan here. They've watched tape. They know who McKinnon is. They weren't turned off by what they saw on tape, and they know that they are expecting of him in this offense. I don't think it's bellcow work at all. But I also don't think it needs to be for McKinnon to produce borderline RB1 numbers.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dougsul said:

I don't know about him, I agree just because you change teams (better situation) you become better.   He never seemed to do much in Minny.  

Yeah RB17 for a guy in a RBBC is really not doing much.

Edited by darin3

he had 51 rec for 420 yds last year.  easy to see 70+ for 650... i could see him with about 1500-1700 combined

for me, if he's there in my dynasty league i'll grab him.   in Shanahan we trust 

1 hour ago, rebdog said:

for me, if he's there in my dynasty league i'll grab him.   in Shanahan we trust 

how can he be available in a dynasty league?

36 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

how can he be available in a dynasty league?

I find many keeper leagues also refer to their league as a dynasty league. 

58 minutes ago, Def. said:

oh, thanks!

tho it's kinda like saying my wife is a little pregnant ;)

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 5:05 PM, Def. said:

To me any league where you carry players over from one year to the next is a keeper league. Not sure what makes it be a dynasty, I've read it is when you keep most or all of the team. 

I think ours is probably closer to dynasty since we keep 5 players (9 starters, roster 18) and there are no limits or contracts (I can draft a rookie this year, and keep him for his entire career).

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

To me any league where you carry players over from one year to the next is a keeper league. Not sure what makes it be a dynasty, I've read it is when you keep most or all of the team. 

I think ours is probably closer to dynasty since we keep 5 players (9 starters, roster 18) and there are no limits or contracts (I can draft a rookie this year, and keep him for his entire career).

keep 5 is a keeper league. I very much dislike the ability to keep a player for their entire career.

you can keep 20 active players and 7 taxi squad players in my dynasty leagues. You assign contracts to your active players and when the contracts expire, those players go into restricted free agency.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

:shrug:  I hear ya, I just chalk this up to different strokes different folks.  I refer to dynasty leagues like Opie does honestly with rookie drafts, contracts, taxi squads, and such.  But then again my experience with them is limited to the BoTH leagues I participate in and I could see how other league setups might use dynasty and keeper interchangeably. 

I am passing on this guy.  He hasn't shown me anything to think he will be a primary RB.