[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys Observations on Offense and Defense

Cowboyz1

Offensively, I will say this, I have NO idea who will be the best WR on this team, nor who will be the go to pass catcher down the seam where Witten made his career. The current crop of TE's seem not to have enough bricks in their pockets or the badger temperament it takes to live inside. That said, it may just work to our advantage early in the year as defensive coordinators will have one hell of a time figuring out who and where the ball is going, all while keeping enough players in the box to keep Zeke in check.

I am very intrigued to see how these wideouts shake out and who steps up to lead the group. I like the kid Gallup as he has a smoothness and a calm shrewdness to his route running. Has great hands too. Just when you think he is covered he has separation just when the ball arrives. Tavon Austin seems to be lapping up his new role and seems to be given more respect as a true wide out rather then a gadget guy. For once we don't have a diva that demands the ball, however, we do have players that require attention from the defense or could find themselves chasing one of these rabbits only to find out there's not enough field to catch them.

I can certainly see this offense being a run first scheme with a plethora of ways to hurt you down the field and quick 1-10 yard completions that keep the chains moving and defenses on the field tired and frustrated. Dak has the patience to walk the ball down the field and I can see this being a very tough offense to figure out early on which should allow these WR to take up their roles as the offense grows naturally rather than out of forced performance out of desperation to fill a glaring hole.

For once I see a great deal of speed in Beas, Thompson and Austin as well as crisp route running. This year they are finally all being required to know and run the entire route tree. When I say Finally, it begs the question as to why this wasn't part of the mainstay disciplines from the beginning. I could be they now have as much between the ears as needed to be a complete receiving corp all working towards the same goal of unselfish performance on a consistent basis. Fancy that.......a well oiled offense with all 11 rowing in the same direction with a single voice calling out the cadence?

Defensively I am very impressed with what I have seen from our D line rotation as well as LB depth. This kid Antwan Woods is a Rhino. Seriously, this kid can play the 1 and the 3 technique and seems to live in the backfield. Has great balance and get off. Paring him with Crawford, D Law and Taco then rotating Ward, Gregory, Tapper and Jones looks to be very pleasing. 

Jaylon Smith is looking like he's ready to take over at LB. This kid is fast, strong and has Lee like instincts. Covered Beasley down the seam at a dead sprint for 40 yards down field giving up NOTHING for separation. Did the same in the Preseason game against Kittle, SF TE. He's lost that hitch in his chase now that the brace is gone and from sideline to sideline looks like there are two of him out there. The rookie Vandy is coming along and most impressed with his range. He gets to where he is going in a hurry with long strides. Still has a lot to learn about the LB position but he will be a good one. 

As far as the DB's go, we could have the best secondary we've had in decades. Lewis, Chito and Jones can cover. Still not sure how dynamic our safety play is going to be but Woods is rangy and Heath just keeps making plays and is always around the ball. Seems to get better an better each year. Reminds me of Bates or Lynch. I do believe at some point Earl Thomas will be a Cowboy and if that happens I can see a Deion effect for this team this year.

If I had to make a prediction right now I say they win 10 games. If the defense lives up to what I believe they can be up front the sky's the limit for this team. Having Zeke all 16 games and Lee/Jaylon all 16 this team will be in the playoffs. 

Go Cowboys

Edited by Cowboyz1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

PHI already won the division. Maybe a wildcard for DAL?

Yeah, we'll see about that. SB hangover is real. Can Wentz wear the same magical slippers as Foles' during his magical ride to glory? 

The East looks like it's back to being a real meat grinder. All Divisional games will be huge.

• Haha 2

On 8/14/2018 at 8:09 AM, CowboysDiehard said:

I'm not quite ready to swill that much gatorade, but I do think nine wins is possible.  We'll see if this is the best secondary in decades.  That's a bold statement.

Yes, it is. You just watch these kids play. Chito and Lewis are ballers. Watch the switch for Jones. 

16 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Attention. The Cowboys will be a run first team and dunk and dunk Dassing.

Yep, 10 12 play drives all game long. Once the D sells out to stop it, over the top for a big one. Garrett is totally influenced by the teams he was on in the 90's and desperately wants a ball control offense with a dominant line and his Emmitt Smith with a QB that simply doesn't make mistakes. That's how the Cowboys won in the 90's ball control power run game with a very stout defense that was tough to run against. The Cowboys beat teams with the long game forcing teams to take chances to get back in the game once we take the lead and keep pounding Emmitt up the middle, wide and swing passes underneath. Zeke is special.

Can that type of game plan win now, we'll see. But thye came within a miracle sideline pass from Rodgers and two 50+ field goals from getting a game away. The passing game is so much more prolific now days so teams can certainly air it out now days. So it will require some stellar CB and Safety play to get the job done.

Edited by Cowboyz1