[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kickers worth draft capital

michaelredd9

The fantasy production of kickers is erratic.  If your kicker ends up 10th best, that is pretty good.  It is easy to have a kicker who finishes 20th or 25th or 32nd.  A top 3 fantasy kicker averages 30 to 50 more fantasy points than the 10th highest scoring fantasy kicker in a season.  That averages to 2 or 3 points per game.  It probably averages out to an extra win per year.  An 11th round pick is a small price to pay for an extra win.

Stephen Gostkowski is not erratic.  He has finished as a top 3 kicker in 4 of the last 5 years.  His fantasy production is predictable.  His leg is as strong as ever evidenced by his 62 yard field goal in November of last year.  He has been perfect so far this preseason.  His only good weather playoff game is week 14 at Miami.  He has a week 11 bye which is nice.  I hate losing a roster spot in week 5 in order to hold 2 kickers.  He is worth an 11th round pick.

Greg Zuerlein has a big leg on an offensive juggernaut.  He had 38 field goals last year in 14 games.  44 field goals is the single-season record.  He has a week 12 bye and has good weather playoff games with week 15 in LA and week 16 in Arizona.  He is an injury risk but his high ceiling makes him enticing.  He is worth a 12th round pick.

Justin Tucker is another big legged, accurate kicker given a lot of opportunities by his team.  He has a career 90% field goal percentage and has never missed an extra point.  In his 6 years in the league, he has finished 6th, 3rd, 11th, 6th, 1st, and 4th.  That is consistent.  He has a week 10 bye and a 2 nice weather playoff games with week 14 at KC and week 16 at LA.  He is worth a 12th round pick.

Robbie Gould has been a top 5 kicker in 3 of the last 4 seasons.  Last year he was the second highest scoring kicker and was the top scoring kicker in the last 5 weeks of the season with Garoppolo struggling in the red zone.  He averaged 3 points per game more than the second place kicker over that stretch.  A quarterback being good between the 20s but struggling in the red zone is the perfect recipe for a high scoring fantasy kicker.  He has a week 11 bye and might have good playoff weather with 3 home games in San Francisco in weeks 14, 15 and, 16.  He is worth a 12th round pick.

Matt Bryant had 7 50+ yard field goals in 2014, 6 in 2016, and 8 in 2017.  It has made him a top 6 kicker in 3 of the last 4 years.  He has a week 8 bye and 2 good weather playoff games week 15 in Atlanta and week 16 in Carolina.  He is worth a 13th round pick.

Harrison Butker averaged the second most fantasy points last season only trailing Legatron's record chasing year.  He was a rookie but hit 90% of his field goals.  KC has a strong offense but could struggle in the red zone with the inexperienced Mahomes at quarterback.  He is worth a 14th round pick.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

There is typically a lot of variation from year to year with kickers. Gostkowski was the only truly consist kicker but then he had one bad year. But... if you have a starting position, might as well fill it with someone that has a better chance. I mean, I understand waiting until the last round but then again, what do you expect your 6th WR to do?

This year I have a lot of Zuerlein because he is a great kicker and I like the Rams offense being able to kick XP and FG. I like Bryant because he kicks indoors and ATL should be better this year. Gostkowski is the lowest risk kicker out there. Tucker is really accurate. I've consistently ended up with Zuerlein, Gostkowski or Bryant on most teams.  I like Zuerlein a lot since he has a week 12 bye. I prefer kickers with late bye weeks so I can carry just one and have an empty roster spot for free agents the first month or two.

53 minutes ago, SanAntonioFootball said:

I see much more value picking up a John Brown, Gallup, Golloday, DJ instead of a kicker. 

If by DJ you mean Duke Johnson, I would draft him instead of a kicker but he has a 7th round adp.  The rest are slightly intriguing but far from solid.  Players of similar value will be available in rounds 16-18.

Edited by michaelredd9

9 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

The fantasy production of kickers is erratic.  If your kicker ends up 10th best, that is pretty good.  It is easy to have a kicker who finishes 20th or 25th or 32nd.  A top 3 fantasy kicker averages 30 to 50 more fantasy points than the 10th highest scoring fantasy kicker in a season.  That averages to 2 or 3 points per game.  It probably averages out to an extra win per year.  An 11th round pick is a small price to pay for an extra win.

Stephen Gostkowski is not erratic.  He has finished as a top 3 kicker in 4 of the last 5 years.  His fantasy production is predictable.  His leg is as strong as ever evidenced by his 62 yard field goal in November of last year.  He has been perfect so far this preseason.  His only good weather playoff game is week 14 at Miami.  He has a week 11 bye which is nice.  I hate losing a roster spot in week 5 in order to hold 2 kickers.  He is worth an 11th round pick.

Greg Zuerlein has a big leg on an offensive juggernaut.  He had 38 field goals last year in 14 games.  44 field goals is the single-season record.  He has a week 12 bye and has good weather playoff games with week 15 in LA and week 16 in Arizona.  He is an injury risk but his high ceiling makes him enticing.  He is worth a 12th round pick.

Justin Tucker is another big legged, accurate kicker given a lot of opportunities by his team.  He has a career 90% field goal percentage and has never missed an extra point.  In his 6 years in the league, he has finished 6th, 3rd, 11th, 6th, 1st, and 4th.  That is consistent.  He has a week 10 bye and a 2 nice weather playoff games with week 14 at KC and week 16 at LA.  He is worth a 12th round pick.

Robbie Gould has been a top 5 kicker in 3 of the last 4 seasons.  Last year he was the second highest scoring kicker and was the top scoring kicker in the last 5 weeks of the season with Garoppolo struggling in the red zone.  He averaged 3 points per game more than the second place kicker over that stretch.  A quarterback being good between the 20s but struggling in the red zone is the perfect recipe for a high scoring fantasy kicker.  He has a week 11 bye and might have good playoff weather with 3 home games in San Francisco in weeks 14, 15 and, 16.  He is worth a 12th round pick.

Matt Bryant had 7 50+ yard field goals in 2014, 6 in 2016, and 8 in 2017.  It has made him a top 6 kicker in 3 of the last 4 years.  He has a week 8 bye and 2 good weather playoff games week 15 in Atlanta and week 16 in Carolina.  He is worth a 13th round pick.

Harrison Butker averaged the second most fantasy points last season only trailing Legatron's record chasing year.  He was a rookie but hit 90% of his field goals.  KC has a strong offense but could struggle in the red zone with the inexperienced Mahomes at quarterback.  He is worth a 14th round pick.

tucker has been my K in my high stakes league for like the last 5 years....hes like my binky....i think i took him in the 11th last year just to make sure he was mine...i dont know why but i just feel more comfortable with him on my team

Too hard to predict which are going to be best, your possible top 3 may just be in the 8-12 range and equal guys are on the WW during the first few weeks. I usually draft a defense before a kicker, but usually get my kicker before my final 2-3 picks (sleepers and flyers). 

I also don't draft 2 kickers (or defense) many in our league do, our rosters are twice the size of starters, and some would prefer to get that 2nd D/K in the draft, than pay $2 when they need one. This means  they have less depth at other spots.