[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lev Bell - Something is brewing in Burgh

Gourdeau

Miami-based writer: Le'Veon reporting Monday

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/383258/miami-based-writer-leveon-reporting-monday?ls=roto:PIT:topheadlines

Miami-based writer Jonathan Skurowitz reports Le'Veon Bell will end his holdout and report to the Steelers on Monday.

A Miami Marlins blogger, Skurowitz ran into Bell working out. He posted a photo and some workout video, and said he "can confirm that Bell will be back at practice and rejoin the Steelers this Monday." It certainly fits with what we've heard over the past few weeks, which is that Bell would report either during or following the Steelers' Week 7 bye. Our long national nightmare is almost over. Although the long-term touch distribution will be up for debate, Bell will undoubtedly form a Week 8 committee with James Conner.
Oct 16 - 2:50 PM

On 10/16/2018 at 2:21 PM, michaelredd9 said:

Conner is bad at pass protection and Le'Veon is great at it.  Another thing that doesn't show up in statistics is how much focus they garner from the defense.  Defenses put a lot of emphasis on stopping Le'Veon in both the run game and as a receiver.

I would add that game has changed this year.  Record number stats are being displayed throughout the league.   I truly believe the roughing the QB impacts D a lot.  So many calls have been made to keep drives alive.  

Then, another year of JuJu and Antonio on the other side really opens up the offense.  Perhaps the best duo in the NFL. 

It should be interesting to see how Connor and Le'veon are used once return.   I believe they will be about even on plays.  It keeps Le'veon happy YET there isn't a big drop off from either.  

He turned into a FF bust due to missing half the season and then if the split carries will not make him live up to a top 3 pick.  

"Steelers and Bell’s rep finally talked late last week about terms of a two-week roster exemption, which both sides need to agree to before he rejoins team. Steelers at this point don’t want to pay him during exemption and obviously Bell wants to get paid" - Jay Glazer

Bell has also not been seen at the team facility today.

Edited by jamesplante11

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

If he was available, then how does he not get paid?

Im far from an expert on this but have done alot of reading and listening on what my teams options are woth bell. 

Its Because there is a clause in the CBA for teams to use a 2 week roster exemption where the player doesnt count on their roster and they are not obligated to pay the player, but because the player was available and willing to play, its considered as them holding up their end of the contract so they get the credit of those 2 games towards eligibility for FA

Edited by Gourdeau
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To piggy-back on what everyone else has been posting here, my prediction based on what's been in the news and the rules around reporting for a 6-game minimum to be eligible for free agency is that he will report for week 10. The Steelers will use the 2 week roster exemption so they dont have to pay him, but Bell will be fine with that because he's had no problem giving up game checks up to this point anyways, and it improves his odds of escaping this season injury free. Thus, he will play the final 4 games of the regular season. As for the playoffs, who knows...

Let me know what you all think... and sorry if I already repeated what someone else has already said, this has been a very long thread.

39 minutes ago, BHL said:

To piggy-back on what everyone else has been posting here, my prediction based on what's been in the news and the rules around reporting for a 6-game minimum to be eligible for free agency is that he will report for week 10. The Steelers will use the 2 week roster exemption so they dont have to pay him, but Bell will be fine with that because he's had no problem giving up game checks up to this point anyways, and it improves his odds of escaping this season injury free. Thus, he will play the final 4 games of the regular season. As for the playoffs, who knows...

Let me know what you all think... and sorry if I already repeated what someone else has already said, this has been a very long thread.

To add to this , I'd be shocked to see Bell have much of a role if/when he returns.. by week 12/13 /14 , the steelers will be deep into a battle for the North title and potential 3 seed and there is no way they are gonna trust Bell to

A. Be in shape to play well enough to contribute ( see week 1 and 2 last year)

and

B. Trust him to give 110% effort

It'll be almost a full 11 months since he will have seen game action when comes back ..that's a long time

All this too say, Its still gonna be the James Conner show imo.. if I owned him id be selling him to some dope who is very hopeful

15 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

To add to this , I'd be shocked to see Bell have much of a role if/when he returns.. by week 12/13 /14 , the steelers will be deep into a battle for the North title and potential 3 seed and there is no way they are gonna trust Bell to

A. Be in shape to play well enough to contribute ( see week 1 and 2 last year)

and

B. Trust him to give 110% effort

It'll be almost a full 11 months since he will have seen game action when comes back ..that's a long time

All this too say, Its still gonna be the James Conner show imo.. if I owned him id be selling him to some dope who is very hopeful

C. After being away for so long, a soft tissue injury is almost a given

8 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

how come cutting him is an option that no one will consider? I see you're a PIT fan, but I'm not sure how closely you can follow them from the north pole?

cutting him is like giving your three year old child the extra cookie after you've said no five times but then u give in because they wont stop throwing their tantrum.. 

Its tough to follow them. I regularly adjust my rabbit ears on top of my igloo, its hard with my seal skin mitts on but I've gotten used to it.

Edited by Gourdeau
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

cutting him is like giving your three year old child the extra cookie after you've said no five times but then u give in because they wont stop throwing their tantrum.. 

Its tough to follow them. I regularly adjust my rabbit ears on top of my igloo, its hard with my seal skin mitts on but I've gotten used to it.

I think in this case, it would be more like giving your 17 yo child who's a week away from being 18 a cookie that they have been pouting about for two years.

Fair points on the analogy.. id also argue 26 mil guaranteed on 2 tags is some pretty tasty cookie considering his off the field issues and injury history... but we've been down this road countless times already

Mainly I think they are thinking it would be very bad cutting him now, and potentially exposing him to an AFC contender.. im also wondering if they might be considering a transition tag on him next season to see what other teams would offer him then execute a trade after that. I have no basis for that believe, not even sure if or how that would work logistically.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

Fair points on the analogy.. id also argue 26 mil guaranteed on 2 tags is some pretty tasty cookie considering his off the field issues and injury history... but we've been down this road countless times already

Mainly I think they are thinking it would be very bad cutting him now, and potentially exposing him to an AFC contender.. im also wondering if they might be considering a transition tag on him next season to see what other teams would offer him then execute a trade after that. I have no basis for that believe, not even sure if or how that would work logistically.

I read an article on the transition tag and Bell Saturday. 

The article acknowledged that at the beginning of the season Pittsburgh already told Bell that they intend on using the transition tag on him next season. It also stated that he was ok with that because other teams can negotiate with him for more guaranteed money and that his goal was the most guaranteed money, Ideally staying in Pittsburgh. 

Couldn’t find the exact article, here’s one that touches on it though. 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/10/2/17926244/steelers-told-leveon-bell-they-plan-to-use-transition-tag-on-him-in-2019-holdout-week-7-bye-nfl-news

Edited by jamesplante11

That's the first I've seen of them telling him he'd be tagged the next year.. very interesting. And for him to openly admit the offer was an additional 17 mil guaranteed is surprising, that puts the total guaranteed money at 31 Mil for the entirety of the deal plus the 12 he had the year before.  He and his agent have left a TON of money on the table and I think we will find out next year as other offers roll in that it was a big mistake...  I can't picture a team is gonna pay him more than that.. He compares himself to David Johnson and Todd Gurley but they come with zero risk off the field, and have way less mileage and little injury history

Cutting him makes no sense, because he's an immediate free agent and can sign wherever he likes. It is very much like rewarding constant bad behavior by a child. Those were good analogies. Not sure why anybody who follows the NFL would even think cutting him is an option. 

On 10/23/2018 at 2:41 PM, stevegrab said:

Cutting him makes no sense, because he's an immediate free agent and can sign wherever he likes. It is very much like rewarding constant bad behavior by a child. Those were good analogies. Not sure why anybody who follows the NFL would even think cutting him is an option. 

Agreed, cutting him makes no sense. Why would Pittsburgh cut him only to have the Patriots or some other team pick him up and then beat the Steelers with him. That doesn't make any sense. He is currently costing them nothing so what benefit do the Steelers get out of cutting him?

8 hours ago, soopanuts said:

At this rate, just as they get away from all this crap with Bell, Conner will be up for a 2nd contract. I believe he has two years left and currently makes less in a year than Bell gets in a week.

What id love to see is what LA did with Gurley, don't wait till the contract ends. You seen what you need to see Kevin Colbert..extend the kid now 

Reading an article about JuJu buying lottery tickets and this gem was in the article

"Bell's continued holdout is the result of a disagreement between Bell and the Steelers over compensation if the team was granted the option to place Bell on the league's two-week exemption by the NFL after he signed his franchise tag. According to Dale Lolley of DKPittsburghSports.com, Bell wanted to be paid the entirely of his franchise tag worth of about $855,000 per week while on the two-week exemption. The Steelers, reportedly, "balked" at that notion which led to Bell continuing his holdout this week despite telling ESPN's Jeremy Fowler last month that he was planning on returning to the Steelers between Weeks 7 and 8. Bell didn't report to the Steelers this week and won't be on the field when Pittsburgh hosts Cleveland this Sunday at Heinz Field. Lolley added that Bell may elect to skip the remainder of the season. Bell has until Nov. 13 to sign his franchise tag before he would be forced to sit out the entire 2018 season."

Why should the Steelers pay him anything while on the exemption. That is for his benefit, to play fewer games, spare his body, and prevent injury. He has to report, or he isn't a free agent next year. He cannot make demands. 

He is either getting really bad advise from his agent, or he is just being pig headed.