[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lev Bell - Something is brewing in Burgh

Gourdeau

At this point I wonder how his team would feel if he does come back.  I would think many would feel that he has turned his back on the team and really don't want to make that extra effort at certain times to spring Bell loose.  Just a though.  I know it might sound crazy but I swear the Redskins oline pulled this with Griffin/Cousins.  Griffin ran for his life, then suddenly Cousins has time to throw.  Really interesting to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NAUgrad said:

At this point I wonder how his team would feel if he does come back.  I would think many would feel that he has turned his back on the team and really don't want to make that extra effort at certain times to spring Bell loose.  Just a though.  I know it might sound crazy but I swear the Redskins oline pulled this with Griffin/Cousins.  Griffin ran for his life, then suddenly Cousins has time to throw.  Really interesting to watch.

In public the players are saying all the right things, in private I would bet they don't want him back at this point. The oline especially has got to feel really great, proving what I felt all along that they were the key to bells success, we seen it with Dwill, seeing with Conner... I Truly madly deeply ( savage garden song queued) believe that Bell will amount to very little on a squad without the benefit of the offensive weapons and oline he had in Pittsburgh..

Why should the Steelers pay him anything while on the exemption. That is for his benefit, to play fewer games, spare his body, and prevent injury. He has to report, or he isn't a free agent next year. He cannot make demands. 

He is either getting really bad advise from his agent, or he is just being pig headed. 

I'm not sure on the advice he's getting, there were reports that his agent urged him to take last years offer, haven't heard the same this year. I think it's a little of both but mostly I think he's just not a smart guy, listen to his rap and you'll know what I mean. Its horrible. 

Edited by Gourdeau

I know winning cures a lot, but damn if this guy isn't burning a lot of goodwill in Pittsburgh. I am sure most of us have played in organized sports and can't imagine many  players appreciate a guy skipping 2/3 of the season, while being paid a lot more than the rest of the players.  

Edited by purplemonster

I Like to think the best of people.  Maybe Bell is looking at this in a way that’s bigger than one contract.

RBs generally get the shaft in the NFL.  They probably take the most abuse in terms of hits / body wear and yet teams don’t want to pay them.  RBs are constantly going down with season ending or career ending injuries.  At some point the players at the position need to stand up for themselves, because they are giving a lot by comparison to other positions.  Maybe he’s just trying to make a stand and be a leader for his positional bretheren.

Edited by Caveman_Nick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I Like to think the best of people.  Maybe Bell is looking at this in a way that’s bigger than one contract.

RBs generally get the shaft in the NFL.  They probably take the most abuse in terms of hits / body wear and yet teams don’t want to pay them.  RBs are constantly going down with season ending or career ending injuries.  At some point the players at the position need to stand up for themselves, because they are giving a lot by comparison to other positions.  Maybe he’s just trying to make a stand and be a leader for his positional bretheren.

Look at what Connor is doing this year or DWill when he replaced Bell, teams can do nearly as well with a far less talented back at a lower price, so why pay Bell. 

I've never heard Bell say much that implies this is about anything but himself, so I'm not inclined to believe he is the champion against unfair RB contracts.

7 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

He values him self as a WR2, so go try out for WR on another team..

He chose his profession, no different to than cops and teachers choose theirs and make peanuts for what they do. Cops and Fire fighters risk their lives everyday too, just like a RB or a lineman, in very different ways but I think you get what I mean. They get paid what they get paid and they know that going into it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2018 at 3:58 PM, Gourdeau said:

He values him self as a WR2, so go try out for WR on another team..

He chose his profession, no different to than cops and teachers choose theirs and make peanuts for what they do. Cops and Fire fighters risk their lives everyday too, just like a RB or a lineman, in very different ways but I think you get what I mean. They get paid what they get paid and they know that going into it. 

All due respect, that's an awful comparison. Don't compare this entertainer to civil service workers who are working for the greater good. And civil service workers have gone on strike also over pay and benefits. If people are so happy with Conner, the best thing to do is to ignore Bell. 

13 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I think Ben Roethlisberger has never gotten the credit he deserves.  The common thread between Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, James Conner, et al. is Ben.  He has always been put in tier 2 with players like Philip Rivers, Matt Stafford, and Matt Ryan.  He has maybe been tier 1 all along.

How about that great o-line?

Pitt has always had great management from upstairs; I think that's where the credit belongs. 

• Like 2

Just now, Shaft said:

How about that great o-line?

Pitt has always had great management from upstairs; I think that's where the credit belongs. 

This is true.  The offensive line might be the common denominator.  Any quarterback is great with a great offensive line.  In that case, I'd probably give the credit to the Rooneys.  The Rooneys might not seek the limelight or take any credit but they know how to put a team together.  The Rooneys and the Maras are the smartest and classiest owners in the NFL.  They embody everything that is good about the NFL.   Only the Packers have better owners.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

I think Ben Roethlisberger has never gotten the credit he deserves.  The common thread between Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, James Conner, et al. is Ben.  He has always been put in tier 2 with players like Philip Rivers, Matt Stafford, and Matt Ryan.  He has maybe been tier 1 all along.

100% agree.. If you look at any of my posts about this bell situation, my whole argument and belief is that Bell will be average at best on another team. He was made by the steelers offense and system, Dwill who was "finished" in Carolina, Toussant ( who the f is that) now Conner who all the "experts " out there said couldnt hold bell's jock, all successful with this offense. Top 3 oline, hof QB and HOF WR will help that.. ive always felt ( and its documented here when he was hurt and or suspended) that Bell was overrated and that I preferred our offense with a more physical back like Dwill and now Conner. 

As for Ben.. I'm not sure if put him with Brady Manning Brees Rodgers.. but if they are 1A and then Stafford and Ryan are B then id put Ben in the 1B cause he's way better than the B but not quite in the A but he's close. 

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

All due respect, that's an awful comparison. Don't compare this entertainer to civil service workers who are working for the greater good. And civil service workers have gone on strike also over pay and benefits. If people are so happy with Conner, the best thing to do is to ignore Bell. 

Most steelers fans have moved on. It's the media , as usual,  who wont let it go. 

1 minute ago, Gourdeau said:

100% agree.. If you look at any of my posts about this bell situation, my whole argument and belief is that Bell will be average at best on another team. He was made by the steelers offense and system, Dwill who was "finished" in Carolina, Toussant ( who the f is that) now Conner who all the "experts " out there said couldnt hold bell's jock, all successful with this offense. Top 3 oline, hof QB and HOF WR will help that.. ive always felt ( and its documented here when he was hurt and or suspended) that Bell was overrated and that I preferred our offense with a more physical back like Dwill and now Conner. 

As for Ben.. I'm not sure if put him with Brady Manning Brees Rodgers.. but if they are 1A and then Stafford and Ryan are B then id put Ben in the 1B cause he's way better than the B but not quite in the A but he's close. 

Stats support what you are saying.  But Le'Veon is an amazing pass protector and an amazing receiver.  Le'Veon is the best running back in the NFL on passing downs.  And the NFL is a passing league.  But he is a great rusher, too.  He is so patient.  He waits for his blockers to block and then he explodes.  He reminds me of Larry Johnson when he runs.  Antonio Brown has not been truly elite this year.  Maybe defenses aren't being diverted toward the running game like they are usually diverted.  It takes a village.

9 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Stats support what you are saying.  But Le'Veon is an amazing pass protector and an amazing receiver.  Le'Veon is the best running back in the NFL on passing downs.  And the NFL is a passing league.  But he is a great rusher, too.  He is so patient.  He waits for his blockers to block and then he explodes.  He reminds me of Larry Johnson when he runs.  Antonio Brown has not been truly elite this year.  Maybe defenses aren't being diverted toward the running game like they are usually diverted.  It takes a village.

Is there any supporting stats to say that Bell is the best RB in the league on passing downs ? Not being argumentative, genuinely interested to know. I'm not sure how accurately though could be recorded statistically , if we look at it solely as pass protection , maybe sacks ? Ben through 7 games last year and 7 this year, equal sacks at 10 but again no idea if that tells the story accurately.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:29 PM, Gourdeau said:

Is there any supporting stats to say that Bell is the best RB in the league on passing downs ? 

I assume that his receiving stats speak for themself.  Here is some pass blocking stuff:

Last year, Bell had a PFF pass block grade of 79.1.  In 2015, his pass-block grade was 94.0, the best in the league. I've never seen that high of a pass block grade.  (I couldn't find his 2016 grade but I'm sure it was good).  James Conner has a PFF pass block grade of 44.7 this season.  In 2016, PFF wrote an article where they said that in Bell's 21 previous starts that he had given up 3 quarterback pressures in 119 pass-blocking snaps.

Edited by michaelredd9

56 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I assume that his receiving stats speak for themself.  Here is some pass blocking stuff:

Last year, Bell had a PFF pass block grade of 79.1.  In 2015, his pass-block grade was 94.0, the best in the league. I've never seen that high of a pass block grade.  (I couldn't find his 2016 grade but I'm sure it was good).  James Conner has a PFF pass block grade of 44.7 this season.  In 2016, PFF wrote an article where they said that in Bell's 21 previous starts that he had given up 3 quarterback pressures in 119 pass-blocking snaps.  That is amazing.  I think I have read that no sack has ever been attributed to Bell.  But I'll have to dig deeper to find it again.  I'm in Bangkok.  I'm pretty drunk.  I'm about to meet up with a university art student who is 20 years old.  Her father is Scottish and her mother is Thai.  She is smart and beautiful.  I'm done with football for the next 36 hours.  Wish me luck!

Conner is on pace to demolish bells receiving stats. This is where I feel bell is the most overrated. His numbers ate grossly inflated by a large number of dump passes that went nowhere. I attribute this to the fact that for 2014 2015 2016 the steelers had no WR2 and heath miller left after 15 season so HE for the last 2 years has been an issue. Now we have JUJU and Vance has emerged. Now I understand those useless catches also affect bells per catch average but the uproar in support of him in his stance as a WR is completely misguided by an inflated number of catches. Essentially I'm saying Connor is doing much more with the passes thrown his way. 

I dont want to sound like I think bell is worthless.. I'm just comparing them based on overall $$ value.. if bell was asking for money that wouldn't cripple my team absolutely id be in favourof having them both. 

20 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Conner is on pace to demolish bells receiving stats. This is where I feel bell is the most overrated. His numbers ate grossly inflated by a large number of dump passes that went nowhere. I attribute this to the fact that for 2014 2015 2016 the steelers had no WR2 and heath miller left after 15 season so HE for the last 2 years has been an issue. Now we have JUJU and Vance has emerged. Now I understand those useless catches also affect bells per catch average but the uproar in support of him in his stance as a WR is completely misguided by an inflated number of catches. Essentially I'm saying Connor is doing much more with the passes thrown his way. 

I dont want to sound like I think bell is worthless.. I'm just comparing them based on overall $$ value.. if bell was asking for money that wouldn't cripple my team absolutely id be in favourof having them both. 

His contract demands are ridiculous.  I'm glad the Steelers didn't give in.

Edited by michaelredd9

2 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

Rumors are out there saying Bell is refusing to sign his Franchise tag until after 4 today just so Pittsburgh can not trade him

sounds pretty stupid.  Why wouldn't he want a trade to a team with which he could potentially get a long term deal?  Instead he is going to be the back-up to Connor for the rest of the season with at best a 50/50 split.  That's not going to land him as huge a deal next year as would a trade to another team where he would be the stud.  If he plays lights out for the team he is traded to, he has a far better chance to get a better contract in free agency with that team or others. 

Edited by Dcat

17 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

are you saying Bell is dumb or that the rumor is likely false?

If the rumor turns out to be true, then Bell is a stubborn dumbass. I think the rumor is based on the correlation between the trade deadline and the last possible moment he has to report to be eligible for free agency.  Basically the rumor is based on circumstance and not necessarily true.  But in the end... none of us know and all parties to this mess should be ashamed of themselves.  This is the ugly side of the NFL at it's worst.

Edited by Dcat
  • Thanks 1

Idiot. I have no basis for this... but I have a feeling that he just wants his cake and eat it too. I think he really really wants his money and he really wants it from Pittsburgh. Maybe he does care where he ends up and was just playing hardball hoping they'd break. I donno anymore.. I just want him to go away..