[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lev Bell - Something is brewing in Burgh

Gourdeau

25 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Idiot. I have no basis for this... but I have a feeling that he just wants his cake and eat it too. I think he really really wants his money and he really wants it from Pittsburgh. Maybe he does care where he ends up and was just playing hardball hoping they'd break. I donno anymore.. I just want him to go away.. 

This

I think he truly believes that when he comes back and signs he will be given the lead back role right away and will do what he always does and be a stud. Then will get paid like Gurley in the offseason. I am not saying any of that will actually happen I just think that is what he believes.

44 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

Maybe his goal all along was to piss Pittsburgh off enough to not even play him?

If they weren't going to play him then why pay him? Kinda funny if they just cut him now

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

the idea was floated that paying him the rest of the year is worth the 3rd round compensatory pick

Also keeping him away from another team. Of course that means nothing now with the trade deadline passed, not sure how any contending team would be able to sign jhim off waivers.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Bell wouldn't be subject to waivers.

Why not?  Really curious, its one of this things I've had problems grasping. If he signs his tender, and the Steelers cut him is he then a free agent?

Either way, it is now Wednesday, the day after the trade deadline, and he has still not reported. There are 9 weeks and 9 games remaining, not sure how soon Bell has to sign and report to get his credit for this season, cannot be more than 1-2 weeks, recall hearing week 10. 

3 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

apparently, all of us have been wrong on the compensatory pick info.

Bell becomes unrestricted free agent if PIT rescinds tag, meaning he's not subject to waivers and can sign with anyone. However, if PIT rescinds today, they're still eligible for a comp pick. PIT doesn't have to pay him any more money to get the comp pick.

Story on CAR and DB Josh Norman when CAR rescinded the tag...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15343989/josh-norman-washington-redskins-attempted-sign-franchise-tag-carolina-panthers-rescinded-it

Good stuff, thanks. Pittsburgh will not walk away from this without some type of compensation on their end. Who knows, maybe he will be back in Pitt. I thought for sure they'd of dealt him.

ETA: I'm not sure the 2 game exemption impacts when he has to report to get credit for the season, recall reading something before that it would not. So some of the info below may not be correct.

Regarding the 2 game exemption, it is my understanding that Bell wants to report and then have that exemption used to reduce the risk of injury. He would still have enough games to play to count the season towards FA (better explained in final paragraph, he can still have a tag applied, but seems unlikely),

However the hangup recently has been that Bell wants to be paid during the exemption and not just a little but his weekly salary based on the tender, while sitting and protecting his body with the goal of more $$ in next contract. From what I read that agreement is up to the team/player involved, the NFL/NFLPA/CBA don't say he has to be paid at all. 

Not sure he's that dumb to show up with just 6-7 games left, and allow PIT to use that roster exemption and make him miss free agency. (He'd be the one screwing himself really, I wouldn't say the team is screwing him.)

Seems that Tue Nov 13 is still the deadline to report and be able to play 6 games (that is after week 11 games). If he needs to account for 2 more games he probably needs to report by this week. they had their bye already and have 8 games remaining. I'm reading an article on PFT and they have an interesting idea, that Bell and PIT could make an agreement that he won't sign and they won't tag him in 2019. Team saves the millions they'd pay, and Bell becomes a FA. (That would violate the CBA and is unenforceable, but not uncommon.) If he doesn't sign the tender they can franchise him again for the same amount and they're back to square one. (If he does report by Nov 13, PIT could tag him again, but most likely won't (can do franchise tag at QB tender, or transition tag but probably won't, they could also just let him go straight to FA with no offer). 

PFT article "Steelers - Bell end game"

Edited by stevegrab

14 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Regarding the 2 game exemption, it is my understanding that Bell wants to report and then have that exemption used to reduce the risk of injury. He would still have enough games to play to count the season towards FA (better explained in final paragraph, he can still have a tag applied, but seems unlikely),

However the hangup recently has been that Bell wants to be paid during the exemption and not just a little but his weekly salary based on the tender, while sitting and protecting his body with the goal of more $$ in next contract. From what I read that agreement is up to the team/player involved, the NFL/NFLPA/CBA don't say he has to be paid at all. 

Not sure he's that dumb to show up with just 6-7 games left, and allow PIT to use that roster exemption and make him miss free agency. (He'd be the one screwing himself really, I wouldn't say the team is screwing him.)

Seems that Tue Nov 13 is still the deadline to report and be able to play 6 games (that is after week 11 games). If he needs to account for 2 more games he probably needs to report by this week. they had their bye already and have 8 games remaining. I'm reading an article on PFT and they have an interesting idea, that Bell and PIT could make an agreement that he won't sign and they won't tag him in 2019. Team saves the millions they'd pay, and Bell becomes a FA. (That would violate the CBA and is unenforceable, but not uncommon.) If he doesn't sign the tender they can franchise him again for the same amount and they're back to square one. (If he does report by Nov 13, PIT could tag him again, but most likely won't (can do franchise tag at QB tender, or transition tag but probably won't, they could also just let him go straight to FA with no offer). 

PFT article "Steelers - Bell end game"

As I mentioned earlier in the thread.  My understanding from how it was explained on a daily Steelers podcast I listen to, is that as soon as he signs the tender, his "availability" for games beings, if the team uses the exemption, that doesn't count against him because he signed and was available for those 6 games. So taking that into account, week 9 is their 8th game. Since he needs 6 games for an accrued season, he can show up for week 12 and be available through week 17 to accrue his season. The exemption is so that the steelers can go 2 more weeks without cutting someone.

Edited by Gourdeau
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

right, but apparently, PIT will almost guaranteed get a 3rd round comp pick, whether they rescind the tag today or make him sign.

i think there are only two factors for PIT to consider:

1. will Bell offer significant contributions when he returns. At least enough to justify his $850k weekly pay

2. if rescinded, will Bell go to a competing team that could affect PIT's playoff outlook.

Frankly, if they're concerned with #2, at all, then they should've paid him years ago. If they have doubts about #1, then #2 is irrelevant.

Agree. It appears there's no happy ending

• Thanks 1

Read a report today that suggested Bell will not report this year and in return, the Steelers will not franchise him again next year. Steelers don't pay over 6 million this year and Bell moves on. Possible I guess, but risky.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-rumors-heres-why-the-rb-could-skip-the-entire-season-why-steelers-might-prefer-it/

4 minutes ago, soopanuts said:

Read a report today that suggested Bell will not report this year and in return, the Steelers will not franchise him again next year. Steelers don't pay over 6 million this year and Bell moves on. Possible I guess, but risky.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-rumors-heres-why-the-rb-could-skip-the-entire-season-why-steelers-might-prefer-it/

At this point they have to both move on. It cost them both a full season. Was it worth it?

2 hours ago, soopanuts said:

Read that in one article as well, but you have to ask yourself, after all these months/years of a strained relationship, why would either side trust the other to follow thru on a world of mouth agreement (that violates the CBA and cannot be a signed contract or both sides could be in big trouble). One person even suggested the Steelers agree to do that, then say FU to Bell and franchise him anyway. 

37 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Is it fair to say that Bells value is shrinking by the week with Conner putting up big game after big game ? Bell's gotta be sweating some bad business but then again im not sure he has the brain to fully grasp the big picture.

Most people rely on their agent for that. It’s a shame his agent doesn’t have any brain cells either.

4 hours ago, Shaft said:

What are they going to do if Conner pulls the same shhhh? They need to sign Conner to an extension now. 

Conner is under contract for 2 more years, totally different situation than Bell who was being tagged. 

Unless you think Conner is going to choose to sit out come 2019 season.